Accountancy Forum

Full Version: Actuarial Profession
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sallams,

I am a consultant Actuary (healthcare) working in the states. I am interested in finding out whats happening with the actuarial profession in Pakistan (is there any body/association? Is it any good?). I will also be happy to answer questions that budding Pakistani actuaries may have. According to my information, there are some 20 actuaries in Pakistan, and given an evolving economy (inevitably an evolving insurance sector) - that represents a shortage. All the best!

Edited by - syed on Sep 09 2004 55923 PM
I dont know about any body/institution in pakistan but certainly there is awareness about this field, The University of Karachi is conduting a bachelors programme in acturial sciences, right now there are no recognitions or exemptions anywhere but the are doing the teaching work in their four year programme.

I am a student in the same programme.

I am an actuary practicing in US and started my career in Pakistan some 10 years ago.

There are various actuarial consulting firms in Pak. And there are at least 4/5 big life a dn group insurance companies.

Let me say this, Pak consulting companies have some of the best actuaries around. I will maintain that my previous company in Pak can compete on quality with any employer i have worked for in USA. Pak actuaries are more knowledgable and more committed. i havent found anything as real as when i worked in pak. but since it pays better i am in US.

there used to be a pakistani actuarial society. donno if it still exists. state life has an actuarial training scheme.

on a side note, you cant become an actuary by going to college for it. not in pak, not in usa, not anywhere in the world. you can only be called an actuary after you have passed professional exams.

word.

what up dawg?
mr. syed and mr. quarterback can you give some information on entry level actuary jobs for international students in the US and information regarding the h1b visa. thank you

adnan
mr. syed and mr. quarterback can you give some information on entry level actuary jobs for international students in the US and information regarding the h1b visa. thank you

adnan
There are quite a few entry level jobs in the US, although the market does seem to be tightening up a little. There have been some MBA/Risk Management osmosis across traditionally actuarial lines, and a bit of vice versa as well.

As for H1, I was talking to an actuarial student from KHI, and his strategy was to get admission in a UNI here, then get employment (with a few exams that should not be too hard), and then get an H1. Presumably that is much easier than shooting for an H1 from within Pak.

Hope this helps, best of luck!

thanks for the info. mr syed. is that guy from karachi just using the student visa just to get in the US and apply for a job, or does he plan to actually complete a degree there? and will actuarial recruiters be able to help me. thanks.

adnan

adnan