Accountancy Forum

Full Version: actuarial sciences
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
i just wanted to ask if the american , british or the canadian acturial sciences program is any different and for a person seeking his future here in pakistan.can you also tell me how good is waterloo in this field.
thank you
faisalz

The American and British streams are both accepted in Pakistan. Students usually have to decide which country they're opting to settle in the near future and hence, choose the stream. For example, a person planning to move to USA will certainly opt for the American stream.

However, both streams are considered at par in Pakistan (according to my knowledge).

This topic has been discussed before. Kindly visit the link below.
http//www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=164

Hello Sumaan.
I have just visited the link you have provided. I think you can help me in gathering some more information regarding acturial studies. I am quite interested in this field. I already have a professional qualification but there is alwys room for improvement. I'll be thankful if you can provide me some informations, website addresses etc.

Waiting for your response.
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Hello Sumaan.
I have just visited the link you have provided. I think you can help me in gathering some more information regarding acturial studies. I am quite interested in this field. I already have a professional qualification but there is alwys room for improvement. I'll be thankful if you can provide me some informations, website addresses etc.

Waiting for your response.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

If you already have a professional qualification and you don't want to go through all those 6-8 years of Actuarial Sciences, I recommend you only do the BSc. in Actuarial Sciences course. However, according to my knowledge, it is currently only offered in Karachi University. If you reside in Karachi, I think you should pay a visit to Karachi University.

But if you are willing to do the whole course, its always good.

<i>""An actuary is a business professional who analyzes the financial consequences of risk. Actuaries use mathematics, statistics, and financial theory to study uncertain future events, especially those of concern to insurance and pension programs. Actuaries may work for insurance companies, consulting firms, government, employee benefits departments of large corporations, hospitals, banks and investment firms, or, more generally, in businesses that need to manage financial risk. A career as an Actuary is better described as a "business" career with a mathematical basis than as a "technical" mathematical career.""</i>

I hope the following links will be of assistance.

www.beanactuary.org
www.actuary.com
www.actuary.org
www.soa.org
www.actuaryjobs.com
www.the-actuary.org.uk

Hi My name Is saad And i am a student of A'Levels planning to Do Actuarial Sciences. My Questions and doubts about this field are

1. i have researched alot and as far as i understand there are different boards taking different actuarial papers. Is that true. And if true then how should i decide which board's paper to give and plz could u tell me something abt these boards

2. would a bsc(Hons) from Lums be a good option for me if i want to join this field or will a bsc Actuarial sciences from LSE.

3. if i do actuarial sciences from britain can i practice in america and vice versa

last but not the least plz mail me the actuarial handbook u mailed to waqas(i got to know abt it on another forum of urs)

i would be highly obliged if u can help me

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Hi My name Is saad And i am a student of A'Levels planning to Do Actuarial Sciences. My Questions and doubts about this field are

1. i have researched alot and as far as i understand there are different boards taking different actuarial papers. Is that true. And if true then how should i decide which board's paper to give and plz could u tell me something abt these boards

2. would a bsc(Hons) from Lums be a good option for me if i want to join this field or will a bsc Actuarial sciences from LSE.

3. if i do actuarial sciences from britain can i practice in america and vice versa

last but not the least plz mail me the actuarial handbook u mailed to waqas(i got to know abt it on another forum of urs)

i would be highly obliged if u can help me

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Hi Saad. Nice to hear about your future plans. I myself am not an Actuarial Sciences student but I hope I can help you out. Now, the answers to your questions

1. There are TWO Actuarial Sciences 'boards/bodies'. One is of UK and the other of USA. If you want to stay in Pakistan, you can opt for either stream, as both are considered the same here. The syllabus of both the streams are more or less same, slightly different, but dividing into modules in a different way... The UK stream has short modules totalling 15... whereas the USA stream has 9 long modules.

2. I mentioned earlier in another relevant topic, that I don't have much idea abt the BSc. in Actuarial Sciences degree. But I can assure you of this, the BSc. in Actuarial Sciences from LSE is certainly better than the BSc.(hons) of LUMS.

3. If you study the UK stream, you can practice in USA as well and vice versa, but you won't be paid accordingly, and will have to clear some more actuarial examinations in the respective country.

You can contact me at sumaaan@accountancy.com.pk and I'll mail you actuarial students handbook.

can anyone her plz give me contacts to acturials settled in pakistan
i would be extremely grateful if someone can help me out
thanks

Mr. Abdul Rahim Wahab, FSA
Sidat hyder Morshed Associates
Ph 92-21-5650007-11

Mr.Nauman Cheema,FSA
Nauman Associates
Ph 92-42-6660990<b></b>

waqas khalique
hye guyz,
Well i just needed a lil help,im done wid ma inters in pre-engineering group ,and now im plannin to do actuarial sciences,im forcin ma dad to lemme goto uk ,but i knw he wont lemme.... so wateva i hav to do ..i have to do it pk..i just needed an advice dat whr shud i apply sutf..ive heard ku introduced a bachelors program for actuarial sciences..just temme abt da exams and stuff....thnx newayz

uzair saqib
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id=quote>quote<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
hye guyz,
Well i just needed a lil help,im done wid ma inters in pre-engineering group ,and now im plannin to do actuarial sciences,im forcin ma dad to lemme goto uk ,but i knw he wont lemme.... so wateva i hav to do ..i have to do it pk..i just needed an advice dat whr shud i apply sutf..ive heard ku introduced a bachelors program for actuarial sciences..just temme abt da exams and stuff....thnx newayz

uzair saqib
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" size=2 id=quote>

Kindly search the forum for other 'Actuary' threads. Almost all questions have been answered regarding Actuarial Sciences.

http//www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/search.asp

Hi everybody,

There was someone asking for the number of actuaries in Pakistan. The reply I got from SOA, they sent me this link.

http//us.f3.yahoofs.com/msgr/pakilesbo/.tmp/ma1.jpg?ms6jqwABWwGDUueE

Its a breakup of the number of actuaries registered with them.

Moreover, thanks SUMAAAN for keeping the guys posted here, infact this should have been my job as I come from this feild.

There was another guy here interested in doing actuarial science... for God sake, stick to your profession... Its true that there is always a room for improvement, instead of changing tracks, make the improvement in your feild. I wish and pray every one of you succeeds and excels in their respective feild.

My heartiest wishes and regards to you all.

Ameer Zaid
crazymath@beaconet.net

AZKS
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id=quote>quote<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Crazymath,

You really are a crazy mathematician. Did you yourself visit the said link?

"http//us.f3.yahoofs.com/msgr/pakilesbo/.tmp/ma1.jpg?ms6jqwABWwGDUueE

Its a breakup of the number of actuaries registered with them."

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" size=2 id=quote>

Hi everybody,

There was someone asking for the number of actuaries in Pakistan. The reply I got from SOA, they sent me this link.

http//us.f3.yahoofs.com/msgr/pakilesbo/.tmp/ma1.jpg?ms6jqwABWwGDUueE

Its a breakup of the number of actuaries registered with them.

Moreover, thanks SUMAAAN for keeping the guys posted here, infact this should have been my job as I come from this feild.

There was another guy here interested in doing actuarial science... for God sake, stick to your profession... Its true that there is always a room for improvement, instead of changing tracks, make the improvement in your feild. I wish and pray every one of you succeeds and excels in their respective feild.

My heartiest wishes and regards to you all.

Ameer Zaid
crazymath@beaconet.net

AZKS

Thanks..

Actually the link you posted has expired... Can you provide an updated link?

sorry guys... )

the link is

http//www.soa.org/ccm/content/about-soa-member-directory/yearbook/schedule-of-membership-outside-canada-and-the-us/

anyway sorry for the inconvinence....

AZKS
Hello Everyone,
I AM A STUDENT OF FSC PRE ENGINEERING.WELL FINISHED IT AT LAST THOUGH.LIKE MANY OTHER GUYZ N GALS I AM ALSO INTERESTED IN DOING ACTUARIAL SCIENCES.WELL I CAME TO KNOW ABOUT THIS FROM A FRIEND OF MINE.I DONT KNOW ABOUT OTHERS BUT I AM INTERESTED IN THIS FIELD DUE TO ITS HUGE JOB OPPURTUNITIES AND THE "SALARY".ALSO I CAME TO KNOW THAT STATE LIFE HIRES PEOPLE TO DO ACTUARY AND OFFERS A JOB SIMLUTANEOUSLY.AFTER STUDY THEY JOIN WITH STATE LIFE.BUT THE PROBLEM IS THAT THERE IS NO STATE LIFE BATCH GOING IN NEAR FUTURE AS IT WENT LAST YEAR.I ALSO KNONW THAT OTHER INSTITIONS ALSO FACILITATE IN STUDYING ACTUARY.BUT I DONT KNOW ABOUT THEM.
SO KINDLY SUGGEST ME A COURSE OF ACTION.WHAT SHOULD I DO.I MEAN WHERE CAN I APPLY FOR DOING ACTUARY.I AM WILLING TO DO THE HARD WORK.BUT I HAVE TO FIND THE PROPER MEANS.KINDLY HELP.AND ALSO IF ANY ONE HAS ANY QUESTION KINDLY POST ON THIS FORUM AND I WILL REPLY INSHALLAH.
THANKING IN ADVANCE
FARRUKH
BLUE MIST

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10