Accountancy Forum

Full Version: Ideal Qualification in USA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Everyone

I am new to this forum. I was wondering if anyone can help me out. I am currently based in the UK and am working at the university in the finance office. I have almost 2 years of experience in Finance sector in Customer Admn role. Since January this year I began my career in proper Accountancy/Finance profession.

I have a graduate degree in commerce with majors in Accounts & Auditing which I attained in India. I also have a certificate diploma in Bookkeeping from UK. In the near future I intend to move to United States. Looking at the vast range of options available to work as an accountant I am bit confused as to which qualification would prove ideal for someone like me. Although I find CPA qualification the most ideal of all I am not sure that at this point it would be suitable as I am not even sure which state in US will I settle down. I had been to the website of Institute of Chartered Management Accountant and found it quite interesting. Can anyone please suggest if CMA is well considered qualification and if so than how are the job prospects??
Any suggestion will be helpful.[)]

Many thanks,

Gina
i think you should go for CFA. I dont have any experianced but heared that CFAs normally dont have any difficulties in finding good work placements.
Thanks for your suggestion
Just out of curiosity isnt this qualification meant for people who are highly experienced aand are looking for a more supervisory kind of role?? also I assumed from the given info on the website that ideally it is a further progression after finishing CMA.
CPA

Never seek advice from a Chartered Accountant. They are trained to find problems not solutions.
Hello,

Directly joining CFA is not recommended because it require very strong accounting and mathematical skill and also it takes about minimum 3 years to qualify. My suggestion is that you should first go for CPA which is the premier accounting qualification for USA. Then if you want to go for specilaization then proceed for CFA, CISA or CIA. I recommed you to vist AICMA (American Institute Of Certified Management Accountants) website.

Thanks
Kamran Abbas
Riaz Ahmad and company
Chartered Accountants

Kamran Abbas
Thanks to everyone for their suggestion.