Accountancy Forum

Full Version: Scope of CGA in Pakistan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dear Friends
AOA
PLease inform me about the scope of CGA in Pakistan and also inform wheher these are considered equivalent or supior to CA's.
I require a quick response.

Thanks

Zikria
Assalam-u-ALaikum

Well i havent got any information regarding the superiority or equality of CGA as compared to CA.
But after reading the word CGA, one question quickly came in to my mind and that was,
What is meant by CGA?
Havent heard of this qualification before..
I do know abt CIA, CFA, LIFA, MIMA ,CPA but wats CGA ???
Does it mean Certified General Accountant?
If any one know the answer , Plz do reply.

Allah Hafiz
My Dear
CGA stands for Certified General Accountants and it is qualification of Canada.
Please inform me about its scope in Pakistan

Thanks
Zikria
Its a second/third tier qualification in Canada, depends on what kind of experience you have... but with the kind of competetion in Pakistan I don't think it will amount to much
Dear Friend
You mean have much less scope in Pakistan
Dear Friends

My post here is an attempt to correct probable false impresion about CGA. I think one should not rank global qualifications unless the person has a real experience about a global designation with special reference to that specific country. Certified General Accountant CGA is one of 3 officially accepted and preferred Canadian accounting associations (i.e. CGA, CMA, CA). Besides these 3, only CPA (USA) has official acceptance in Canada. It means only members of these 4 associations can represent themselves as designated accountants in Canada. Legally speaking, a member of any other GLOBAL ACCOUNTING association like ICAEW, ACCA, CIMA (UK), CA of Ireland or Australlia CAN NOT represent themselves as Chartered Accountants and CANNOT use any combination of alphabets "C" and "A" to general public, to their clients, and on stationary or business card. Canada has very strict rules of presentation to public. Members of other GLOBAL ASSOCIATIONS can ONLY write their memberships on resume to prospective employers. In a recent court case with CICA, President of ACCA (Canada) had to take back the letters "ACCA" from his letter pad and stationary, and had to ask its members in Canada not to use letters "ACCA" on stationary. Same is the case in USA too. As far as I know, with exception to Colorado, almost all other States do not accept ACCA courses for credits toward 150 credit hour requirement to sit for CPA exam. In both, Canada and USA, ethical and practice rules and regulations are quite restrictive. Though ACCA, CA-EW, and CIMA have MRAs with 3 accounting designations, but the members of 3 UK bodies cannot represent to public unless they get designation of any one of 3 local Canadian designations.

Now back to the point, CGA is at par with other two designations. It is completely accepted and prefered by both the public and government. Only these 3 designations in the world are legally accepted to get a TN Visa (under NAFTA agreement) to work in USA, besides offcourse US CPA and CMA(IMA). As far as scope in Pakistan is concerned, CGA is north american and an international designation that is available in 8 or 11 countries and also scope depends on experience an accountant has. Following are the links for further info.

http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certified_General_Accountant

http//www.settlement.org/discuss/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8170

http//www.accaglobal.com/canada/publicinterest/about/learn

http//www.cga-canada.org/en-ca/Pages/default.aspx

http//www.cga-ontario.org/

Regards
well u guys might be surprised to hear that ACCA has some MOA with CGA-CANADA according to which ACCA members will also be able to become CGA-CANADA members aswell.

Dears,

CGA is a preferred designation at Canada after CA (Canadian one). It also finds some acceptance in USA and certain other countries.

As far as acceptance of CGA in Pakistan is concerned, we have quite a few CGAs working here in Pakistan solely on the basis of this very designation.

Currently, I don't see any advertisement inviting this designation any where in Pakistan. I personally feel that at the moment it has a little exposure in local market.

In UAE it has a bit of acceptance and we can witness recruiters requiring this designation as an alternative to CPA and CA in some cases.

Every country has its own rules and regulations for monitoring such designations and charters. In Pakistan only CAs (ICAP members) are allowed to be in public practice for audit and assurance services. ACMAs (ICAMP members) also have such charter for certain entities falling in SME category.

No ACCA, CPA, CGA, CMA or CA of elsewhere is allowed to be in such public practice. In Pakistan if some one, not being CA, is using this designation with his name, he/she is supposed to be guilty of criminal act.

Further, if some ICAP member has other professional designations along with CA, he is obliged to mention first of all "CA" (meant for Pakistani CA) on his visiting cards and letter heads etc and then any other qualification/designation.

I think if some one clearly mentions his designation of some where else {like ACCA (UK) or ACA (Eng and Wales) etc} and is not engaged in any such public practice by any means, it would be little bit crazy to absatin him from doing so. However, it's the prerogative of any country's government/law makers to impose any restrictions as per its own regulations, as may be deemed fit in the circumstances.

Regards,

KAMRAN.