Accountancy Forum

Full Version: ATMs and Year End
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
I experienced some thing strange today, almost all of the ATMs are out of service, as tomorrow is the year end, some are working but they are not issuing "Reciepts"......Is this a case of "window dressing of Balance Sheet".
Well that is quite strange, I have worked for a bank, and they had quite an extensive network of ATMs,. tha amount of cash in these is usually not at all 'Material' to the Balance sheet of the Bank. Since all these ATMs have a set number of petty cash in, the bank actually knows how much of it will be withdrawn !!

I think the issue may be more of a 'management' thing, where the bank/s must be reconciling it on 2-3 days interval (and not just the next ay thing)which I must say again is quite strange and would be surprised if a bank had cut off issues with a small amount of cash,.. in their ATMs..

Any more thoughts guys,,

Hi,

ABN AMRO, ASKARI Bank, Bank Alfalah of DHA Lahore, these three banks' ATMs were out of order on 29th...
Even today the ATMs are not issuing transation-slips/mini statements of ATM transations...
"UNION BANK, Pak Block, Allama Iqbal Town Branch, Lahore" was working well on 29th of June, 2006.

But in your case, there may be a window dressing situation, indeed.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Muhammad Adnan Arshad</i>
<br />"UNION BANK, Pak Block, Allama Iqbal Town Branch, Lahore" was working well on 29th of June, 2006.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Everything should not be taken all negatively.
Firslty most of the banks mentioned have year end of December!
Secondly if we know that half yearly accounts are to be issued on June figures why dont we guess that this might be for the purpose of cut offs instead of applying our pessimestic approach!
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rememberence</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Muhammad Adnan Arshad</i>
<br />"UNION BANK, Pak Block, Allama Iqbal Town Branch, Lahore" was working well on 29th of June, 2006.

Secondly if we know that half yearly accounts are to be issued on June figures why dont we guess that this might be for the purpose of cut offs instead of applying our pessimestic approach!

Then why each and every company is always talking about "quality customer sevices"...
Plz dont see this situation as an accountant, try to see it as an ordinary man, and you will find how frustrating will it be for a "customer"...
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by maani</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rememberence</i>
<br />[quote]<i>Originally posted by Muhammad Adnan Arshad</i>

Then why each and every company is always talking about "quality customer sevices"...
Plz dont see this situation as an accountant, try to see it as a customer, and you will find how frustrating will it be for a "customer"...
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by maani</i>

Plz dont see this situation as an accountant, try to see it as a customer, and you will find how frustrating will it be for a "customer"...

Ya I agree, sometimes at critical hours ATM machine gets out of order..sometimes they apologize for issuance of receipt. Nonetheless it has no relation with window dressing.