Accountancy Forum

Full Version: Help HELP - career
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I graduated in BSC. Hons. Mathematics and Computer Science. I want to go into accountancy because I presume it involves number work.

Now I want to apply for this graduate accounatcy job and I can't decide what area of accounting I'd like to go into and what qualifications to study. There's two areas to choose from; audit and business tax.
And theres ACCA, CIMA, ATT and another Tax qualification to choose from.

I want to know whats the difference between ACCA,ACA, CIMA. Also, if I want to work in tax the employer gives me the option to either choose to study ACCA/ACA or the ATT/and another tax qualification. In the interview it may ask me why I chose one and not the other. ACCA is a broader qualification is one reason, but i need more reasons.

Please help. Yes your rite, I am confused.

It would have been easier if you would've told your future plans as well... ACCA is directed towards audit whereas CIMA is aimed towards cost and management... So it depends what criteria you choose to say that ACCA is a broader qualification...

ACCA and CIMA both include Taxation subjects, however Audit is more 'pure' in ACCA than CIMA...

However, if you're planning for long term, there's no better option than ACA.

Yes I agree with Sumaaan.

Although I am not in the accountancy field directly, but I would suggest that you if you want your interview to be successful then in my view you would need to research into the difference b/w ACCA & CIMA etc in much greater depth. What I mean is its not just good to say say that one is studied at relatively broader scale than the other, every one can say that. What you should say in responce to such question is something that is very thoughtful and that other may not know or didnt realise - only such insight would stand out your resume and may land you at a premier firm.
I am sorry that I can't give you a starting point to think, since I am not an accountancy student/graduate myself. I am sure you would find the information from an insider.

Regrads,
AHSAN

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id=quote>quote<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I graduated in BSC. Hons. Mathematics and Computer Science. I want to go into accountancy because I presume it involves number work.

Now I want to apply for this graduate accounatcy job and I can't decide what area of accounting I'd like to go into and what qualifications to study. There's two areas to choose from; audit and business tax.
And theres ACCA, CIMA, ATT and another Tax qualification to choose from.

I want to know whats the difference between ACCA,ACA, CIMA. Also, if I want to work in tax the employer gives me the option to either choose to study ACCA/ACA or the ATT/and another tax qualification. In the interview it may ask me why I chose one and not the other. ACCA is a broader qualification is one reason, but i need more reasons.

Please help. Yes your rite, I am confused.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" size=2 id=quote>CIMA and ACCA both are just like having international passports. If you are unable to decide now you can start with one qualification (for example CIMA) and do ACCA later by passing only four further papers.

In the WTO regime I consider both CIMA and ACCA have the depth of becoming a standard qualification.

Take the initiative and go for it. Don't think too much as both of them has same objective of making you an accountant with slight variation.

Regards

I do pay respect to your answer but i will insist that ACCA is a superior qualification. As it trains a person in every aspect and so it is also internationally recognized. Whats your opinion. Any how I have recently completed my ACCA and now please advice me that for which qualification should i go next.

I lie I steal I cheat So people can feel my LATINO HEAT
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id=quote>quote<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I do pay respect to your answer but i will insist that ACCA is a superior qualification. As it trains a person in every aspect and so it is also internationally recognized. Whats your opinion. Any how I have recently completed my ACCA and now please advice me that for which qualification should i go next.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" size=2 id=quote>
It appears from your reply that you are already an ACCA and now planning to do something else. What you do next is totally up to you. You can even not do any further qualification and still can survive rather better perks than the people with more than one qualifications. BUT you have to keep yourselves up to date with the latest developments in accounting, tax, information technology etc.. Employers are not after a series of qualifications but rather interested in what you can do and how up to date you are. You can maintain your knowledge by just reading through out your career or simply for further qualifications one by one as by doing that you will ensure that you are kept up to date. However you can't continue doing that, some point in time you will have to decide when to start self studying for keeping yourself up to date. I myself, did ICMA first, then CIMA, afterwards ACCA, then CIA. But there is a limit. Now I have decided not to go for any further qualification But I am definite to maintaine all the certifications I have acquired to date.

Best of luck!

Thanks for your opinion i am very thankfull to you. Right now i have decided to do CIMA as you have done it so please advise me about it. As we cant compare it with ACCA as they conflict in studies as CIMA is more management oriented. Please tell me that how many exemptions will i get in CIMA on basis of ACCA. Please tell me that should i opt for CFA. Thanks looking for your reply.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" size=2 id=quote>

CIMA too is internationally recognized... And from the people who have done both, ACCA & CIMA, I've heard CIMA is tougher.

Thanks for your opinion i am very thankfull to you. Right now i have decided to do CIMA as you have done it so please advise me about it. As we cant compare it with ACCA as they conflict in studies as CIMA is more management oriented. Please tell me that how many exemptions will i get in CIMA on basis of ACCA. Please tell me that should i opt for CFA. Thanks looking for your reply.

Yes it is true CIMA is tougher and management oriented compared with ACCA. But you don't need to worry as you will have to go through only four further papers to have another recognised designation. So far as question relating to CFA is concerned, CFA will give you diversification and may open further doors of opportunity. For example all the financial institutions would love to hire a person who has both ACCA and CFA.

Every qualification has it's own advantages. Either it be ACCA, CIMA, CFA, CA or ICMA. In the end what matters is how up to date you have kept yourself. If one has acquired every possible qualification, but haven't himself / herself kept upto date than in the end certificate doesn't matter. There are people with only ICMA (which some of the people regarded as low graded qualification-although I don't agree) are enjoying perks and benefits better than people with so called superior qualifications.

Regards

Thanks for your information. Its all about trend and right now ICMA is not a superior degree when compared with others. As i have seen many ICMAs with 0 knowledge. But you are also very right as its all about how up to date are you. THANKS

Make an appointment to follow up with your advisor at a later date. That turns the advice into goals, and the follow through into a contract.