Accountancy Forum

Full Version: Deduction of withholding tax
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What is the minimum limit of purchase on which a withholding agent is liable to with held tax, e.g purchase of goods for Cash Rs.5000/-
S.R.O. 586 (I)/91. – In exercise of the powers conferred by clause (ii) of the proviso to sub-section (4) of section 50 of the Income Tax Ordinance, 1979 (XXXI of 1979), hereinafter referred to as the Ordinance, and in supersession of its Notification No. S.R.O. 659(I)/81 dated the 25th June, 1981, the Central Board of Revenue is pleased to specify the following to be the recipients, or the classes of recipients, to whom the said sub-section shall not, namely-

(i) a Provincial Government;
(ii) a local authority;
(iii) persons who are residents of the Tribal Areas or Azad Kashmir and execute contracts in Tribal Areas, or as the case may be, Azad Kashmir only and produce a certificate to this effect from the Political Agent concerned or the district authority, as the case may be, or in the case of Azad Kashmir, from the Income Tax Officer concerned;

(iv) persons who produce a certificate from the Commissioner of Income Tax to the effect that their income during the income year is exempt from tax under the Second Schedule to the Income Tax Ordinance, 1979;

(v) persons receiving payments from a company exclusively for the supply of agricultural produce which has not been subjected to any process other than that which is ordinarily performed to render such produce fit to be taken to market;

(vi) companies receiving payments for the supply of electricity and gas;

(vii) companies receiving payments for the supply of crude oil;

(viii) Attock Refinary Limited, National Refinary Limited and Pakistan Refinary Limited, receiving payments for the supply of their products;

(ix) Pakistan State Oil Company Limited, Pakistan Burmah Shall Limited, and Caltex Oil (Pakistan) Limited, receiving payments for the supply of petroleum products;

(x) Hotels and restaurants receiving payments in cash for providing accommodation or food or both as the case may be;

(xi) shipping companies and air carries receiving payments for the supply of passenger tickets and for the cargo charges of goods transported;

(xii) persons receiving payments, for the supply of goods or execution of a contract, not exceeding rupees one thousand for a single transaction and the total of such transactions does not exceed rupees ten thousand in a financial year

Provided that where the total value of payments, on accounts of the aforesaid transactions, exceeds rupees ten thousand during a financial year, the payer shall deduct tax from the payments including the tax on payments of rupees one thousand or less made earlier without deduction of tax during the same financial year.

2. notification shall have effect from the first day of July, 1991.
As per a circular issued by FBR (then CBR) states the monetary limit for purchases of goods on which a WHT agent is liable to deduct WHT as per rate applicable. According to this circular minimum limit for deduction of WHT on supplies is RS.25,000/-. This limit is also shown in all advanced books on Taxation.

See page number 2 of circular at following link

http//www.cbr.gov.pk/newdt/circulars/1991cir26.pdf

Regards

Awais
Dear Mr. Aftab,

Thank you very much, for replying promptly,
this really help me alot.

Regards,
Akbar

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by awaisaftab</i>
<br />As per a circular issued by FBR (then CBR) states the monetary limit for purchases of goods on which a WHT agent is liable to deduct WHT as per rate applicable. According to this circular minimum limit for deduction of WHT on supplies is RS.25,000/-. This limit is also shown in all advanced books on Taxation.

See page number 2 of circular at following link

http//www.cbr.gov.pk/newdt/circulars/1991cir26.pdf

Regards

Awais
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
You most welcome Akbar
Thank Awais bhai mujhay update karny ka.
Same to you