Accountancy Forum

Full Version: Actuarial Profession again!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi.. im new to this website.. and i have read almost all threads relating to actuaries and actuarial sciences.. i have been to all the links provided in the forums and now i have quite a knowledge about the actuarial profession.

im an acca student and a GIKI drop out (cuz i realized i never wanted to do engineering n i was studying science in school only to keep my options open). i have always been gud in only one subject and that is maths (n stats).. i find this accounting boring and im doing research about possible qualifications in maths and to me the best option is being an actuary. i got 6 A's in o'level 3 in AS and 1A in A'level (97 in o lev math, 96 in a lev math, 92 in o lev stats). the problem is that i have already wasted too much time after i did a level in 2007 n now my acca will end in june 2011 hopefully.

my question is that should i still go for actuarial profession or is it too late now and although i know its very very difficult.. will i be able to do it given my good grades in math n stats.

secondly, i cudnt find how to start becoming an actuary as there is no institute providing actuary education in karachi. if anybody could tell the steps of becoming an actuary here in karachi.. it will be of great help and and i cud help my brother too whos doing a level and like me only likes maths and is quite interested in this actuary thing..
nobody to answer?? (
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by arsalan7</i>
<br />hi.. im new to this website.. and i have read almost all threads relating to actuaries and actuarial sciences.. i have been to all the links provided in the forums and now i have quite a knowledge about the actuarial profession.

im an acca student and a GIKI drop out (cuz i realized i never wanted to do engineering n i was studying science in school only to keep my options open). i have always been gud in only one subject and that is maths (n stats).. i find this accounting boring and im doing research about possible qualifications in maths and to me the best option is being an actuary. i got 6 A's in o'level 3 in AS and 1A in A'level (97 in o lev math, 96 in a lev math, 92 in o lev stats). the problem is that i have already wasted too much time after i did a level in 2007 n now my acca will end in june 2011 hopefully.

my question is that should i still go for actuarial profession or is it too late now and although i know its very very difficult.. will i be able to do it given my good grades in math n stats.

secondly, i cudnt find how to start becoming an actuary as there is no institute providing actuary education in karachi. if anybody could tell the steps of becoming an actuary here in karachi.. it will be of great help and and i cud help my brother too whos doing a level and like me only likes maths and is quite interested in this actuary thing..
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Arsalan

I think you have a few options

a. register with the institute of actuaries (UK) or society of actuaries (USA) and sit few initial exams and then apply for jobs with local actuarial players;

b. do a bachelors degree in actuarial science (i think Karachi University offers it) and then apply for jobs with local actuarial employers;

c. apply now to actuarial employers and see what response you get and then choose either a or b option above.

Hope it helps but please do let me know if you need more assistance. and btw i dont think your age is an issue at the moment.
Hey...

the program at KU, is it affiliated with any one?
thanks DT.. i think the bachelors degree being offered at karachi university is a waste of time.. i want to start studying for tne SOA courses but i really cudnt find any books or tuition providers..

i like the option C u suggested.. so how exactly can i apply to actuarial employers? should i like go to efu n tel them i want to work in the actuarial department or what? because i dont have anything to prove that im doin the actuary course..
Asalamualikum

hey arsalan bro ... i m doing BS(ARM) actuarial sceiences and Risk managment From CBM university , karachi and i think that you should go slow and easy , u see actuaries exam are very pharoo and these universities offer base for this course .. secondly i have books for Exam P and Fm .. i can provide u that )
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mujtaba Ali</i>
<br />Asalamualikum

hey arsalan bro ... i m doing BS(ARM) actuarial sceiences and Risk managment From CBM university , karachi and i think that you should go slow and easy , u see actuaries exam are very pharoo and these universities offer base for this course .. secondly i have books for Exam P and Fm .. i can provide u that )

this is so kind of u.. pls can u tell me from where to buy study material for actuary papers...both for us n uk.. n ur correct these r veri pharoo papers so i wanna study first n then decide what to do.. i really want to START it.. pls help me if u can.. thanks a lot!
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by derivativetrader</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by arsalan7</i>
<br />hi.. im new to this website.. and i have read almost all threads relating to actuaries and actuarial sciences.. i have been to all the links provided in the forums and now i have quite a knowledge about the actuarial profession.

Arsalan

I think you have a few options

a. register with the institute of actuaries (UK) or society of actuaries (USA) and sit few initial exams and then apply for jobs with local actuarial players;

b. do a bachelors degree in actuarial science (i think Karachi University offers it) and then apply for jobs with local actuarial employers;

c. apply now to actuarial employers and see what response you get and then choose either a or b option above.

Hope it helps but please do let me know if you need more assistance. and btw i dont think your age is an issue at the moment.

ur option "a" is what im gonna do! please can u just tell me where to get books n other study material for the first papers!! i wanna atleast try some papers then i will start internship..

and what do u think intitute of actuaries UK is better or society of actuary?

please reply soon...u reply after months..pls reply soon thanks!
Student Handbook for 2009/2010 of Institute of Actuaries UK can be found here!!

http//www.actuaries.org.uk/sites/all/files/documents/pdf/studenthandbook.pdf
hey guys m new hea..... m just finishing my intermediate..... so i need help.. like how to start for actuarrail sciences..... or rather join dat KU uni..... hwihc m in islamabad so i dont like going dea..... so what else can be the way like i cud do privately then join any firm... how...?
what kinda papers wud be dea?? etc...
if any 1 of u can help it wil be greatly appreciated...
Hamza Taifur
hamza_sweet@hotmail.com
waiting 4 a reply