Accountancy Forum

Full Version: Fair presentation n Compliance Framework in ISA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Could someone differentiate between the two alongwith examples?

The terms are extensively used in international standards on auditing
but i haven't been able to understand completely...

Fair presentation framework and compliance framework.....specifically in context of pakistani practice

As you know ISA 200 defines fair presentation framework as

The term "fair presentation framework" is used to refer to a financial reporting framework that requires compliance with the requirements of the framework and
(i) Acknowledges explicitly or implicitly that, to achieve fair presentation of the financial statements, it may be necessary for management to provide disclosures beyond those specifically required by the framework; or
(ii) Acknowledges explicitly that it may be necessary for management to depart from a requirement of the framework to achieve fair presentation of the financial statements. Such departures are expected to be necessary only in extremely rare circumstances.

IFRS is a fair presentation framework.

<b>Reasons</b>
It meets above requirements

Paragraph 15 of IAS 1 states that

Financial statements shall present fairly the financial position, financial performance and cash flows of an entity. Fair presentation requires the faithful representation of the effects of transactions, other events and conditions in accordance with the definitions and recognition criteria for assets, liabilities, income and expenses set out in the Framework. The application of IFRSs, with additional disclosure when necessary, is presumed to result in financial statements that achieve a fair presentation.

Paragraph 19 of IAS 1 states that

In the extremely rare circumstances in which management concludes that compliance with a requirement in an IFRS would be so misleading that it would conflict with the objective of financial statements set out in the Framework, the entity shall depart from that requirement in the manner set out in paragraph 20 if the relevant regulatory framework requires, or otherwise does not prohibit, such a departure.
and what about compliance framework?
I got some idea about compliance framework but I do not know the real example.

For example there is an entity established under a law and that law stipulates requirements for the entity in respect of preparation of financial statements and maintenance of books of accounts etc.
The relevant provisions of that law are the applicable financial reporting framework for the entity (compliance framework) because it requires compliance with the requirements of the framework but it does not contain the acknowledgements relating to fair presentation.