Accountancy Forum
BSc Oxford Brookes - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Students (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: BSc Oxford Brookes (/showthread.php?tid=1052)

BSc Oxford Brookes - BeAtNiK - 08-23-2004

[][][][][]

- derivativetrader - 08-23-2004

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id=quote>quote<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Hey People
i wanted to ask how is the Bsc of Oxford Brookes recognized by other institutions in England. I mean if i get BSc degree along with ACCA would i be able to get admission in a good UK institute of MBA or MSc using that degree, if i want to do MBA or MSc too. And what about value of Oxford Brookes BSc and MBA in Pakistan?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" size=2 id=quote>

Oxford Brookes is somewhere like ranked 60 in latest Uk universities league tables. To get admission in top Uk Postgraduate programmes you need atleast 21 classifications in related under-grad programme. For MBA, LBS (London Business School)is far the best of the lot - although a hell lot of expensive too. To get in any good MBA programme in UK you would need at least of 3-5 years of 'solid' work experience, together with 'descent' recomendations letter from previous employers, professors etc. You may also need a high GMAT score too. LBS avg. class GMAT would be around 700 if not much higher.

I think the best advise for you would be to simply send emails to grad-admissions officer at various universities where you intend to apply and see what they have to say on your educational background. You can get their comtact addresses from the institutions websites.

DT

- Pracs - 06-08-2005

I just find all the good MBA schools in the UK far too expensive. I mean look at all the good or fairly better schools..I think you'll agree with me DT.. I think LBS and Carnfield are the only world class schools head logged with some of the best Ivy league schools in the US. Others like Said Business school and Cardiff are just too much. Then again an MBA in the UK or the US is more of a mid career degree, something to go for when one is moving from a mid level management position to a top level as in a CFO for a large company etc.

Have I got it right DT...

Oh yeah I think Oxford Brookes would fair better in Pakistan than the UK !

- derivativetrader - 06-08-2005

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pracs</i>
<br />I just find all the good MBA schools in the UK far too expensive. I mean look at all the good or fairly better schools..I think you'll agree with me DT.. I think LBS and Carnfield are the only world class schools head logged with some of the best Ivy league schools in the US. Others like Said Business school and Cardiff are just too much. Then again an MBA in the UK or the US is more of a mid career degree, something to go for when one is moving from a mid level management position to a top level as in a CFO for a large company etc.

Have I got it right DT...

Oh yeah I think Oxford Brookes would fair better in Pakistan than the UK !
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

It's true that all 'good' MBA programmes in the UK and USA are expensive and may not be affordable to many students. But I see these programmes as an investment rather than a credential. It really depends on your aims and objectives that determine which school is better and which isn't. E.g. if one is looking to enter into the investment banking (or strategy/management consulting) arena and also targetting bulge bracket firms than I wouldn't waste my time and money anywhere but the top 10 f/t programmes in the list on this link,

http//rankings.ft.com/rankings/mba/rankings.html

I see an MBA degree as a brand recognition than a medium of knowledge. A large bunch of people go there to get access to the alumni records of a particular school and incase you are thinking what a weird reply I'm writing but trust me it is the case - I'm speaking from the experience!

Are you thinking donig an MBA?

DT

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pracs</i>
<br /> Others like Said Business school and Cardiff are just too much.

Judge and Said are not competitive enough to get the high brow of the MD / Partner in a large consulting or financial services firm.

Yet the undergraduate and postgraduate programmes offered at Oxbridge are good to consider. I think they wanted to adopt the business plan of Univerity of London but couldn't yet deliver results.

I don't know what it likes at your firm (I rather not disclose the name on this forum) but one think fore sure KPMG does sponsor its employees on EMBA as I know a friend of mine who used to work in Corporate Finance dept them managed to do CFA and EMBA on the expense of them but then free ride on and now works for a bank. Typical isn't it [)]

- Pracs - 06-08-2005

Yeah I started to think about it after having landed in the UK, but have come to the conlcusion that I'll need to save up some and move into a better managerial role before I actually do it. I guess it makes more sense when you have a good mix of an MBA and managerial experience to help boost your career.

I am not sure if my firm does that, perhaps in TAS (corporate finance); most of the times an MBA is not considered to add any value to an accountant in Audit. You know how snotty we accoutants are,, rif raf I am a Chartered Accountant and that's the end of the World.
(I'd thought I'd say that before some one else does it to me !)

Yeah I have seen that ranking, perhaps we can discuss at length when we have a face to face meeting some time after september, once you are done with your exams and the vaccation in Pakistan

<br />

perhaps we can discuss at length when we have a face to face meeting

Sure, we can either meet this Friday after 6pm or I shall be back by end of July so anytime then.

PM me if you want to meet this Friday. I am based in City of London so mobility to London Bridge isn't a problem.

DT