Accountancy Forum
AAT , ACCA , BCOM OR BBA PLZ HELP - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Students (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: AAT , ACCA , BCOM OR BBA PLZ HELP (/showthread.php?tid=3772)

AAT , ACCA , BCOM OR BBA PLZ HELP - ali_boy9 - 09-09-2006

I am Ali Abbas Studing in HSSCII . my last year in I.com . please guide me what should i go for. i m mainly interested in CA. and also guide me from where to qualify . I have heard about alot if institutions like
ICAEW
ICAS
ICAP
ICAI
Is there any difference between them
AND WHAT SHOULD I CHOOSE AMONG THE FOLLOWING AND THE BEST WAY
AAT , ACCA , BCOM OR BBA . WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE AMONG THEM
AND THIER TIME PERIOD .
please guide and tell me more if you know any thing else.
ALI

- Salmancert - 09-10-2006

Well, Ali boy you have asked a lenthy question. you could have tried to search the forum to get the information abt qualifications but I'll try to explain only a little.
first of all about the institutions.
ICAEW--- Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales
ICAS --- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland
ICAP --- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Pakistan
ICAI --- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ireland
as there names implies they all are Institute of Chartered Accountants of their respective countries. as far as Difference is concerened everyone provides great coverage of their countries legislations and accounting and auditing practices. However, after qualifying from any1 institute ifyou want and have the stamina of joining another they will provide you with exeptions to certain level so that you only have to clear a few papers to qualify and need to obtain the Minimum practical experience required.
now as you have talked about ways.
AAT --- Association of Accounting Technicians
ACCA --- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants
B.Com--- Bachelor of Commerece
BBA --- Bachelor of Business Administration
and you've forgot to mention
CIMA --- Chartered institute of Management Accountants
ICMAP--- Institute of Cost and management accountants of Pakistan

So If you are interested in doing CA I'd recommend you to do ACCA via CAT. coz this is a higher qualification as compared toAAT,B.Com and BBA. and they have a very broad and international coursework which will provide you with tools you need to get the job done. Moreover, you will get some pretty good exemptions fro those Institutes of chartered Accountants for ACCA is an international qualification whereas B.Com and BBA are not.
in the end the choice is yours.

- ali_boy9 - 09-10-2006

THANX Salmancert
Well one more questuion is that after i.com is it neccessary to have CAT degree for ACCA. Cnt we go after ACCA.
and again which institute is best among the described ones.
ali

- ali_boy9 - 09-10-2006

PLZ READ THIS ONE AND OMIT HTE ABOVE ONE !!

THANX Salmancert
Well one more questuion is that after i.com is it neccessary to have CAT degree for ACCA. Cant we go for ACCA after i.com.COZ AS FAR AS I KNOW CAT IS EQUAL TO I.COM
and again which institute is best among the described ones.

- Salmancert - 09-20-2006

AOA,
You must have to do CAT in order to enter ACCA. and as far as I.com's equalency to CAT is concerned. I am not sure but I think I.Com is no way equalent to CAT. CAT coves up to date topics with more comprehensive approach to Accountancy and auditing.
as the question of best remains I am no one to decide the best but my idea is to do ACCA. and then go for either ICAP or ICAEW.

- M Abdullah - 09-25-2006

Dear All

I should be grateful if you could kindly let me know the following

1. Basic qualification and other requisit for ACCA admission
2. What is the status of ACCA degree in Pakistan?
3. Is there any instution/college which is recognized by HEC?
4. Whether ACCA degree is recognized by HEC?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

M Abdullah
Sharjah
U.A.E.

- Salmancert - 09-25-2006

Basic Qualification for ACCA
A number of entry routes are available which take into account different qualifications and recognise your previous achievements.

Professional Examination Route (PER)

For entry to ACCA's Professional Qualification, you must be at least 18 years old and meet at least one of the criteria shown below.

2 GCE (Advanced level) passes and 3 GCE (Ordinary level) passes (Advanced level passes at grades A-E, Ordinary level passes at grades A-C, including English and Mathematics. Intermediate Examinations / Higher School Certificate at 50% or above can be accepted as a substitute for Ordinary levels)
AAT (Pakistan) - from May 1997 (complete Intermediate Stage)
ICAP Intermediate exams (old syllabus) - 1987 - 1995
Access/Foundation Course (from City School - Karachi)
ICAP Basic Accountancy Course (BAC) / Full Time Foundation Course
(FTFC) internal exams / tests - (from 1996)
2 year BCom / BA / BSc (from a recognised institution)

For those who are unable to register via the PER, there are two other methods of entry

Mature Student Entry Route (MSER)

For entry to ACCA's Professional Qualification via the MSER you must be over 21 years old. You must also pass Papers M1 and M2 (equivalent to Papers 1.1 and 1.2) within two years from the date of your first eligible ACCA examination session.

You will then be able to transfer to the main student register.

Certified Accounting Technician (CAT) Qualification

This is ACCA's vocational, open- entry introduction to accounting. Applicants who are 16 years or older can complete ACCA's CAT qualification and will be eligible for direct entry to Part 2 of ACCA's professional examination.

- M Abdullah - 09-27-2006

Thanks Salman sb for quick and indetailed reply.

- sherry - 10-07-2006

hi everyone
acca is gaining popularity in pakistan in a rapid manner.the best schools r sbs(karachi) and skans lahore

- M Abdullah - 11-16-2006

hi everyone

There is no dobt that "entry test" (silly test) is essential for B Com admission.

My question for knowledgeable friends is

1. How much is important to get any Academy help to prepare for entry test to get admission in Hailey College.

2. A brillent student who has secured above 70% in I Com, can pass entry test without the help of any academy?

3. If it is not possible to secure required score in entry test without joining any academy, can you kindly let me know any reputed academy in the area of Johar Town, Faisal Town, Lahore?

Thanks in advance.