Accountancy Forum
"Open Book Examination Policy" of ICAP: - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Students (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: "Open Book Examination Policy" of ICAP: (/showthread.php?tid=4206)

"Open Book Examination Policy" of ICAP: - Muhammad Adnan Arshad - 02-15-2007

The Council of ICAP in its meeting held on 26th January 2007, has decided to allow students to carry bound volume of "International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRSs)" published by ICAP, while appearing in the papers of 'Financial Accounting' of Module-C (CA-Intermediate) and 'Advanced Accounting and Financial Reporting' of Module-E (CA-Final).

The above decision shall be applicable from June, 2007 attempt and onwards. The detailed rules shall be issued in due course on the ICAP website. For confirmation of this news, you people can view the ICAP homepage. www.icap.org.pk

Also post your personal views on this policy adopted by ICAP in the examinations.

- iceman_pk - 02-16-2007

i think the policy is too tough b\c if a students get failed in any one subject than he\she has to appear in the same module again which is not good. the policy should be if u fail in any subject u need to appear in only that subject..

- unseendemon - 03-31-2007

please read the thread before posting. its about the open book exams policy.

- Schuaeb - 03-31-2007

The open book policy which is gonna be applicable for Accounting © and Reporting (E) from the next attempt, in my point of view, will make these papers tough and technical.

I can't say whether its good or bad, however, it seems to be an attempt by the institute to follow the pattern of some other educational bodies.

Shoaib

- Kashif87 - 04-01-2007

a}theoretical questions like disclosure req. and certain conditions for accounting treatments will not be asked..
b}time management will be a lot difficult
c}almost all the questions now will be scenario based

- hv55ain - 04-02-2007

well in ma view dis is gud and tuff at the same time..but definately it will give the maximum exposure to the candidates..

----------------------------------
www.CPADaily.com - Tention and Spark.
visit us for the latest happenings in the accounting world.

- Sunny84 - 04-13-2007

WOW, what kind of remark was this? han hv55ain!!!

- msc286 - 04-13-2007

I personally feel that Open Book Policy will not add to any advantage to the students due to the following reason.

We all are well aware that the biggest hurdle in attempting any paper is the time constraint. The student has to gather his knowledge, experience and understanding pertaining to a particular question / topic. Generally it all done in one's mind and very quickly. The Open book policy will have two main effects

1. Students would be reluctant to learn by heart many areas of the standards on the basis the same would be available in the book at the time of paper.

2. If one has to refer to the book, say for 10 times, he/she would be wasting precious time. If on average, 3 minutes are required for a singly instance, 30 minutes would be wasted if the book is referred 10 times.

Please note that I am not against this policy but the students must analyze the pros and cons well before the paper.

- msc286 - 04-13-2007

The above topic brings another interesting point for discussion

ICAP has allowed open book policy for financial reporting. What is the harm in allowing the contents of a particular law / regulation in law papers?

Comments of the esteemed members in this regard are highly desired.

Mahmood Chaudhry
ACCA, ACA

- Muhammad Adnan Arshad - 04-14-2007

sir g aaap tu mashALLAH qualified hain....aaap ko kiaa tension hai........!!!!!!!!!! hehehheeee..........

(;-)

- msc286 - 04-14-2007

Dear Adnan,

I use this forum to be of any help to the students. Alhamdolillah I am qualified, but shouldn't I be trying to help out the others to qualify as well?

And secondly, I'd request all the participants to contribute positively to the topic and if one does not have any concrete thought / idea, he/she should restrict himself to only read the topics.

No Offence.

Regards,

- Schuaeb - 04-14-2007

To switch to open book policy, we have to bring some primary changes in our examination patteren. And, we should be well aware that this open book policy is never gonna make things easier. After this coming June attempt we will have a better idea that how this thing works