Accountancy Forum
KIDNAPPING, HOSTAGE SURVIVAL AND MOBILE PHONES - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: General (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: KIDNAPPING, HOSTAGE SURVIVAL AND MOBILE PHONES (/showthread.php?tid=4614)

KIDNAPPING, HOSTAGE SURVIVAL AND MOBILE PHONES - javed - 07-06-2007

<font color="green"><font face="Arial Black"><font size="4"><u><b>KIDNAPPING, HOSTAGE SURVIVAL
AND MOBILE PHONES </b> </u> </font id="size4"> </font id="Arial Black"> </font id="green">
By Javed - 04 July 2007

A few conscientious citizens recently took pains in advising the general public what to do and not to do in case if they unfortunately they become a family victim of kidnapping. The Chief of well known Citizen police Liaison Committee (CPLC) housed in Governor House Karachi has very kindly added his advice in these Dos and D’Nots. He says reason for increase in recent kidnapping is the availability of prepaid connection of mobile phones “WITHOUT ANY DOCUMENTATION”. He further added that during investigation it is revealed that gangs of kidnappers are operating on score of SIMs at one time obtained on fake identities and which according to him was the main hurdle faced by law enforcing agencies.

CPLC in Karachi was the very first innovative idea in Pakistan and this private agency fully funded and run by generous and active businessmen and for some 10-12 early years of its establishment did very marvelous job. Of late however the educated citizens felt though it was working good but it become real active only in case the victim is an elite. For ordinary citizen it works at par with general bureaucracy.

Despite having realized what was the major cause of increase say in kidnapping and was the major hurdle in investigations namely the SIMs on fake identities it has practically taken not even the remotest practical action to remove the dead dog from the national stinking national well except for issuing statements as above.

The Government of His Excellency General Pervaiz Musharraf is very actively and appreciably extending its hand in tackling the international terrorism. The efforts and practical contributions made by Pakistan in this field have internationally been recognized but is the Government really aware of or its bureaucracy really concerned about security concern within Pakistan? Early this year the Interior Minister Aftab Sherpao told in a press conference that authorities had arrested 8 criminals through the source of their mobile phones. My mind immediately reacted all those accused must be innocent but only for sin of holding a stolen mobile bought at cheaper rates.

On 30 September 2006 I purchased a Warid Sim from a General Stores famously known as “Mumtaz General Stores” situated in the Hashmi Center, Preedy Street Karachi against their Cash Memo. Copy of National ID Card was taken. The SIM got lost. Immediately I informed the CPLC on its website to get the SIM blocked from misuse. The “so efficient” CPLC after many days informed me to re-submit my request which I did but never ever got any progress. The SIM lost report demands immediate action and not after days. Simultaneously I also informed Warid Telecommunication which surprised me that the SIM was not registered in my name. A company like a mobile company or a drug manufacturer always has a record that which product and which serial number went to which counter for sale. But Warid did not take any real action except wasting my time by demanding Sales Agreement signed with them which I think no subscriber perhaps have. Maj. General Shahzada Alam the Chairman PTA very proudly told me he had advised his staff to attend the matter. It is about 6 months Shahaza’s Sahib or his staff never returned back. Third week May 2007 I purchased a SIM from Mobilink University Road Karachi. On my demand for a copy of Sales/Application Form I signed, the reply was all these copies are retained with the company. A lady purchasing a SIM after me seeing me demanding demanded it but got same response. The SIM is with me but practically I have no documentary evidence if the SIM being used is my own because I have no receipt etc.

A fortnight back some TV/Film artist was threatened by extremists. The TV channels covered this news item also announcing the two mobile numbers from which these calls came. I am sure these SIMs would be found registered in the name of such persons who never purchased these. Pakistan laws demand proper documentation of sale of every SIM which tough is done but in a proper way. Shahzada Alam Sahib told me in many countries these SIM are sold without any registration which of course is correct but in those countries there is no chance of getting a SIM on fake identity. And most important is that in Pakistan law demands registration of every SIM sale in the bonafide name of real purchaser hence no excuse that in other countries SIMs are sold without registration.

Early this year a survey investigative long report appeared in the press that one person, as the record shows, have subscribed to 8000 connections. Is it possible? Certainly not. But practically it could be possible because a copy of NIC of a genuine subscriber can be re-photo copied to sell the SIMs to unscrupulous criminals. This is not a joke. No one today say with guarantee a PCO might not be working some 800 kilometre away in his name, a house building or a bank loan might not be outstanding against him. These are not stories these are facts thanks to our bureaucracy. There are many recorded cases where the Federal Ombudsman found that while still no connection was available at complainant’s home a PCO was working his name.

Recently on the occasion of Budget learned economist Dr. Shahid Hassan said that despite law an order situation (12 May Karachi, Lal Masjid) still foreign investment was coming only because return back bucks in Pakistan were quick and these investors have free hand to do whatever they wish. The example is though by law all mobile companies are bound to keep documentations, but due to closure of PTA eyes which do not want to make even a little angry these foreign investors, the SIMs are available in the market without even your filling up a Form, submitting your identity but on use, re-use and re-re-use of copies of NICs of genuine subscribers like mine of above Warid lost SIM.

It is not a minor matter. A person in whose name in whose ignorance a SIM
Is purchased may one day in today’s complex security situation may find him upto his neck. This is not matter merely of lethargy of our bureaucracy who has no real touch with common man, nor it is merely a matter of opportunist mostly foreign mobile companies but mainly is a matter of lack of awareness amongst the general public even from educated class. The most regrettable is we have thousands of so called NGOs executives of whom are enjoying a splendid life but none has ever cared to do anything on it. Due to recent encouraging light seen in this darkness that Supreme Court is taking interest in the matters of collective community interest, I am considering to approach the SC formally on the point only what our authorities like PTA was doing.

- CBPian - 07-13-2007

I fully agree with you Javed....
This is pure identity theft and the government is doing nothing... internationally there are strict laws against identity theft and very high fines and jail terms.
.. I remember from my memory that during mid and late nineties there was a big campaign by PTA that all prepaid connections must have corresponding ID cards and this data was required and mandated by all cell phone companies...
.... i dont know what has happened to it..
... Another thing to note is that all these mobile phone operators are earning 100s of millions of dollars and sending back money monthly to their corporate HQ but they are not obliged to maintain country-wide EIR (Equipment Idenity Register) by PTA which is an electronic database of all stolen cell phones. This EIR automatically blocks all cellphones on all networks. This is implemented in several foreign countries and only requires a very small investment from these companies as compared to the profits they are earning...
.. if this is implemented.. mobile snatching etc will become a thing of the past as no stolen phone will work on any mobile network in the country... they all know it including PTA but they dont implement it hence any person who dies or is killed by phone snatchers etc., these mobile companies and PTA are directly responsible.. and I am saying these companies because there is a concept which is called corporate social responsibility.. which means that companies should contribute positively to the society which is helping them earn mega money....
.. Other thing related to this point is that all ID cards have a unique number.. if all of these were/are registered in mobile companies' database, a very simple search of finding duplicate records will highlight all these bogus connections.... and actions could be taken against the dealers / resellers responsible for it... again.. this does not require any money and effort but.. I must say this is pure complaceny and lack of responsibility by these cell phone companies that they dont do it...
... In the end PTA bears ALL RESPONSIBILITY... they are responsible fo r all cell phone related crimes in this country.
... Approaching supreme court is a good idea and I fully support it.