Accountancy Forum
Secondment - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Career (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Secondment (/showthread.php?tid=7641)

Secondment - Progress - 03-20-2010

have a bit of a dilemma on my hands.

I have been offered a secondment to start a new project to implement a company wide software upgrade and be the finance representative.

I am currently an Assistant Management Accountant for a large company, I am part qualified studying Strategic Level of CIMA, looking to be promoted to a Management Accounting position.

Senior management are aware of this and have thus suggested I be put on a secondment as the Finance representative for a new company wide software implementation.

This will make me the software expert for the Finance department, I have been told when I return to Management Accountants that I would be too good for my current role and would have to have a new uprated role.

This project is likely to last around a year.

My concern in taking this secondment is how it will be viewed by my next employer? Does it also limit me to having to complete the project as potentially I could be fully qualified by the end of the year?

What are people opinions on this?

Thanks

- Dard - 03-20-2010

I believe this is an excellent oppurtunity. This era belongs to IT, and you are getting a chance to be an expert in the IT software. You have also been said that you will be promoted after this project. This can be a boost in your career. Your next potential employer will definitely see it in positive terms, increasing your chances of employability

- Progress - 03-22-2010

Thanks for the reply Dard,

It is hard to explain my concern.

I know it will definitely be good in the long term when the project is completed.

My concern is that if I left in say 6 months, when I am qualified, how would a potential employer view this. Would it look like I had lazed around in a project for 6months and been out of Management Accounts, or would it still be viewed positively?

- ACCAite - 03-22-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Progress</i>
<br />Thanks for the reply Dard,

It is hard to explain my concern.

I know it will definitely be good in the long term when the project is completed.

My concern is that if I left in say 6 months, when I am qualified, how would a potential employer view this. Would it look like I had lazed around in a project for 6months and been out of Management Accounts, or would it still be viewed positively?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I dont think 6 months would do much harm, you have to be a freewheeling opportunist D

i totally agree with DARD here, accountancy with IT is a killer combo and you have a chance to do it....i say get on with it.