Accountancy Forum
Pen, Paper and Poor Pupils - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Accounting and Audit (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Pen, Paper and Poor Pupils (/showthread.php?tid=87)

Pen, Paper and Poor Pupils - TheOne - 05-24-2003

Pen, Paper and Poor Pupils.
Perhaps accountancy profession hasn't "made" the life of as many as people in Pakistan as it has destroyed. I know many intelligent gentlemen who had passed each and every paper twice or thrice but they couldn't pass all of them at one given time... thus they're declared fail... so they became failed in life.
Last month I read news about new "Exam" format for CPAs in USA. From next year they wouldn't be examined in traditional 'Pen/Pencil/Paper' format.. instead they would examined on PCs. You guys might be aware about EU's strong reply to USA for registration of their Audit firms with their oversigt Board. Being a good thing, perhaps EU'll also adopt new exam format. What are We, the self proclaimed leaders of Ummah and intelligent people of the world, doing??? Shall we remain glued to Pen & Paper for another 55 years unless we are slapped with a Ban for our stone-age methodologies? This is why I say that accounting professionals of Pakistan are the most dumb people in the country. So sad... so hopeless situation!!! I prey for some kind of "Professional Martial Law" or "Revolution"... perhaps that could change this status to some extent...

- haroon - 05-26-2003

I agree. I have also observed this

"I know many intelligent gentlemen who had passed each and every paper twice or thrice but they couldn't pass all of them at one given time... thus they're declared fail... so they became failed in life"

Can anyone explain why this is so????????

- TheOne - 05-26-2003

Hi haroon,
haven't you heard following
CPA Means "Can't Pass Again";
CA Means "...Couldn't Already"..??

- haroon - 05-27-2003

No i hadnt heard this one....

Really i am serious. Do u have any idea what the passing criteria of ICAP is?

- jbladeus - 05-28-2003

Hi guys

There isn't any set passing criteria in ICAP. Its just a game of supply and demand. If the market needs CAs, then the 'nalka' is opened to meet that demand, otherwise not.

Btw its a known fact that ICAP result is not decided through the pen of the examiner, instead it is decided in the council meeting.

- haroon - 05-28-2003

Yeah you are right. i suppose

- Paki - 05-29-2003

just one question, if they were sooooo intelligent, why didnt they pass all exams??? (I mean, stop being 'after' ICAP, if others can do it, why cant those intelligent people, I feel sorry for them, but just cuz somebody is intelligent wont make him a CA, intelligence is not a substitute of knowledge)
once again u guys have come up with a totaly subjective approach. u want 'pen and paper' eliminated, cuz US is using PCs, why didnt u come up with the idea when US was not? I mean, stop being copy cats.

I think before first testing people on PCs, ICAP should first implement an exam entry system that is paperless, so guys dont have to get a couple of snaps and fill the form and all the stuff, once a person is registered with ICAP, ICAP should have all its particulars, and when he's due for what exams, and payment of fees through internet, etc.

I agree there with u @ guy brush

- TheOne - 05-29-2003

...again... the same bla..bla..bla... please again read the message and try to pick the point under discussion. "Intelligence is not substitute of knowledge"??? think again...

- haroon - 05-29-2003

There is one thing i have noted though during my articleship.

Most of the Brighter guys that i knew during my articleship went on to qualify and almost none of the guys who were generally known to be less competent did not make it.

I dont know how many of you guys have observed this . But i have

In the end ICAP guys arnt as stupid as we accuse them of being.

I would like your poont of veiw on this

- TheOne - 05-30-2003

Hi Haroon,
They say "Teach a parrot two words.. Demand & Supply, and that'll become an Economist"... I say "teach a parrot Debit & Credit and that can also become a professional Accountant.".... But Economist parrots never propound theories for Rent, Wages, Interest or Profit... just like Accountant parrots, who never Create anything by themselves... they simply repeat what they are taught to. They never think beyond their repeatition.... though they've all "five senses" to obtain knowledge but they don't know how to process "Data" and create "Information" from that data received through five senses.
Learning Holy Qur'an by heart is not an easy job... it's a tough, tough, tough task and divine blessing though. But still.....How many our respected Hafiz-e-Qur'an brothers understand this holy book???
What we think "Qualification" is actually "Certification"... it's "The Qualification for certain Certification"..."A Certification for having done a certain given job, in a certain given situation and in a certain given time".
Can't you see a lot of so-called Un-Qualified people even in professional firms, who are much much more experienced & intelligent and are highly paid than the so-called Qualified ones?
About a decade ago, one of very well known partner of one of the biggest firms said to one of my colleagues student that "You don't need to be much intelligent to pass exam. Just do and write whatever is written in the assignment notes. If you start finding contradictions in those notes, you'll never pass".
It's not only here at ICAP.... (Dr. Abdus Salam's daughter was declared failed in matric Maths paper. Because she has solved questions as were taught to her by father.)
Point is what's the difference between "Knowledge", "Certification of Knowledge" and "Qualification to receive Certification of Knowledge"? Our problem is that "All" Certified ones think that they knowledgeable also. My only point is that "Whoever lerans to say Demand & Supply is not an Economist"...as they say "Give a fool the rope enough and he'll hang himself"... I say "Give a stupid the little knowledge and he'll bang the whole lot"...
In the end I must clarify that I don't mean to craete the impression that "Those who couldn't be Certified are all learned ones. I only mean that those who were Certified are not all learned ones."
Sorry for such a long post... take care..

Edited by - TheOne on May 30 2003 014255 AM

- haroon - 05-30-2003

Of course exceptional cases are always there.

- haroon - 05-30-2003

Of course exceptional cases are always there.