Post Reply 
 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
UAE Job Market: Ask your Queries Here!
09-17-2011, 11:11 PM
Post: #46
 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ZiaFakhar</i>
<br />Salaam DxB.Raf

You've been very helpful for people like me looking for some sincere input. Here I want some guidelines from you regarding my career which seems stuck at the moment. Here is my story;

I did B.Com in 2003 and working since then. Now I'm 29 and working as finance manager in a travel company in pak and earn around pkr 50k. I've been doing ACCA since 2006 and still 6 papers short in becoming an affiliate. my problem is that there is not much growth in industry i'm working right now. I want to move on u know. my options are

1) I can find a similar job in UAE and complete ACCA meanwhile in DXB and then switch field but I don't know if it would possible at that time or not.
2) Keep working in Pak at same place and after ACCA do some Big4 training, but then the problem would be to provide for my family as u know they don't pay much and I don't have experience of multi national company.

You can guide me on what path i should choose to be where i want to. I don't want to get stuck and waste my potential. Please help !!!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

It is not recommended for you now to become a trainee in Big4s. Quit that idea. 100% not feasible for you.

You have good 6 years of experience. I would like to know more about the nature and size of your company and the job activities you are involved in.

You may find a job here in UAE based on experience. You are still far from being qualified. This will impact the salary.

In short you have chance to get a similar job based on experience. Also you can switch industry. Again this will impact the salary a little bit. Once you are settled here you can continue your ACCA qualification.

Remember some functions of accounting is always similar regardless of the industry. These include payables, recievables, fixed assets to some extent. MIS reporting as well.


Considering your designation of FINANCE MANAGER and 6 years experience with B.com, you should be looking at something in between 8-10k. Once you qualify with an international designation, 14-16k is gettable.

You age can work both ways. Some employers look for young energetic professionals while other prefer mature ethically developed individuals. In many Job Ads the age requirement is specifically mentioned.


<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Shaan</i>
<br />Dear Dxb.Raf
Is it beneficial for me if I passed my MBA from Any university in Pak or it should be specific one which is recognized in UAE?? i heard that Iqra University is one of them or Could you name other universities which are recognized in UAE?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

LUMS and IBA is of course on top. Besides that IQRA, SZABIST is also good. As i told you before logistics jobs depend on experience. People holding degrees from interior unis of India are working in logistics here. Employer would not care much about the prestige of the uni. Your experience is the main player. Even someone from Uni of Jamshoro would be considered if he has the experience and knowledge. an MBA hardly teaches you anything about trade and logistics. There is no specific degree or certification for this field. You learn from experience itself.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-18-2011, 09:34 PM
Post: #47
 
Many thanks for responses Raf!

Ok. I got you, no point in talking about big4 training I probably can’t go backwards and reverse things now Wink

My company is a group of small sized businesses usually called Travel Agencies. Involved in Travel & Tourism services. Accounting requirements are almost same worldwide. The problem for me is professional growth as I told you before. Being a Finance Manager in a company with total number of employees up to 30 with 4 – 5 personnel in accounting department is not a big thing and I can’t fly higher than this all I can do here is switch companies and increase my salary by a small ratio.

Well 8-10 k is pretty good for me while I’m working in international environment. But I doubt that they pay that much in my industry. I want you to be more specific now that you know a little more about my nature of business.

Also instruct me on method of job search. You said earlier that walk in method is not popular among employers but I don’t get many responses when I’m applying on websites even though jobs are there so what to do. Do you think they prefer the local guys to avoid visa arrangements and other hassles. If yes then how to get in.

Another problem would be to fulfill PER requirements to be a member because in my field I could hardly meet 40% of PER even though I have 8 years experience. I can send you my CV if you want to dig deeper for me but I don’t know how to send.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-19-2011, 12:01 AM
Post: #48
 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ZiaFakhar</i>
<br />Many thanks for responses Raf!

Ok. I got you, no point in talking about big4 training I probably can’t go backwards and reverse things now Wink

My company is a group of small sized businesses usually called Travel Agencies. Involved in Travel & Tourism services. Accounting requirements are almost same worldwide. The problem for me is professional growth as I told you before. Being a Finance Manager in a company with total number of employees up to 30 with 4 – 5 personnel in accounting department is not a big thing and I can’t fly higher than this all I can do here is switch companies and increase my salary by a small ratio.

Well 8-10 k is pretty good for me while I’m working in international environment. But I doubt that they pay that much in my industry. I want you to be more specific now that you know a little more about my nature of business.

Also instruct me on method of job search. You said earlier that walk in method is not popular among employers but I don’t get many responses when I’m applying on websites even though jobs are there so what to do. Do you think they prefer the local guys to avoid visa arrangements and other hassles. If yes then how to get in.

Another problem would be to fulfill PER requirements to be a member because in my field I could hardly meet 40% of PER even though I have 8 years experience. I can send you my CV if you want to dig deeper for me but I don’t know how to send.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

The total number of employees in my company is 250+. Finance department consists of 5 including finance manager. CFO is at group level. The group has a total number of 14 companies with same structure upto finance manager in each. The reason to tell you this is that in UAE many big and small companies have arranged their finance departments in such a way that requires minimum number of staff to avoid costs. Comparably finance departments in Pak are bigger with more staff. This is not the case in UAE. Even the biggest companies have breakeven staff here. No extras are allowed. Also they make you work every minute of the day.

I recommend you not to get bound by a particular industry. As i said industry knowledge has a limited role. I was trained int he bigs4s in financial sector and my client portolio consist of banks ,insurance, AMCs, funds etc. However, here i got job in an Engineering Equipments trading/service/manufacturing conern. I did take a hit on my salary but its temporary. My point is that you CAN switch. So think broader outside of your travel industry. The salaries that i have quoted you is not industry specific. I really think 10k would be very easy for you if you start getting interviews.

You will never get response applying from Pakistan. The best method is that you make a visit for 3 months and start applying online. Employers prefer individuals who are on visit there and available for interview and assessments. UAE government has a programe called EMIRATISATION. As per federal laws, every company in UAE has to maintain certain percentage of local employees. These jobs are sepcific for the Nationals and mentioned int he job ad as well. The jobs for locals are like 10% of the total jobs advertised currently. Some employers have Arabic speaking requirements but again these are very few jobs.

You dont need to do any PER. Once you become affiliate, fill up your TDM get it signed and arrange your experience letters and send it to ACCA for membership. You will become a member upon passing exams.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Post: #49
 
Thanks Again Bro!

Feels like I'm heading towards a decision. I would definitely try my luck and Go Dubai. You are saying that they won't respond applying from Pakistan, then how would they respond applying online from Dubai and you say that walk-in isn't effective anymore ? I'm confused (

Also tell me what time of the year I should visit Dubai ? Visiting Dubai for at least 3 months means quitting current job and burning all the boats? Am I right ??

I guess I should be more aware regarding PER and TDM )
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Post: #50
 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ZiaFakhar</i>
<br />Thanks Again Bro!

Feels like I'm heading towards a decision. I would definitely try my luck and Go Dubai. You are saying that they won't respond applying from Pakistan, then how would they respond applying online from Dubai and you say that walk-in isn't effective anymore ? I'm confused (

Also tell me what time of the year I should visit Dubai ? Visiting Dubai for at least 3 months means quitting current job and burning all the boats? Am I right ??

I guess I should be more aware regarding PER and TDM )
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Your CV would have your UAE contact number. Employers would give you a call and you would be called in for an interview almost instantly. The first thing they would ask you is that wether you are available in UAE right now. Some over smart people use UAE sim in Pakistan thinking this a shortcut. So they would confirm your availability first thing before proceeding. Yes, as far as my experience goes, one does get interview calls.

Visiting UAE for 3 months means a material investment of time, effort and money. Yes you will have to burn the boats. It's a gamble. After my articleship, i was offered a very lucrative job in the top 5 banks in Pakistan. I didn't take it and played a gamble. It worked for me.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-19-2011, 10:18 PM
Post: #51
 
DxB.Raf you are really helping us a lot man.. I have a query too and would be glad if you answer it..
Actually i am interested in investment banking and I have cleared 11 papers of ACCA and would be pursuing cfa after my acca studies the question here is that I want to settle finally in Dubai so what should i do should i do some internships over here in investment banking and then come to dubai and pursue cfa or what should I do should I come to dubai as a fresh acca affiliate, I am really not interested in audit and wont be trying my luck in big4s so what should i do?
Thanx in advance.
Take Care.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-20-2011, 05:28 AM
Post: #52
 
DxB.Raf , thanx for your all help .
right now i am an ACCA Affiliate , and currently i have internship in KPMG . i am planning for 6 to 12 months internship then move to UAE , would that route good for me or wht u think is more preferable .
could u give me the list of ACA training firm in RIYADH besides BIG4 , cause its very hard to get ACA training contract with BIG4.
ACCA with 6 to 12 month training , could help me to get ACA training contract and JOB in UAE.
Thanx in Advance
plz tell me wht ur qualification and experience
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Post: #53
 
OK
As I see opportunities there, I have to play gamble i guess, No choice. So a few more questions.

As I asked earlier what time of year I should choose for visit & how much money could it take during these three months for living, food, travel etc ?

What steps should I take before leaving, to ensure my employability in there I mean additional skills or add-ons which I might not be having right now or unaware of.

Which accounting software is more popular among those off the shelf softwares or they all use specialized ones? I'm sure you are having better Ideas.

I hope your answer to these questions will be helpful to every one.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-21-2011, 01:57 AM
Post: #54
 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by accafinalist009</i>
<br />DxB.Raf you are really helping us a lot man.. I have a query too and would be glad if you answer it..
Actually i am interested in investment banking and I have cleared 11 papers of ACCA and would be pursuing cfa after my acca studies the question here is that I want to settle finally in Dubai so what should i do should i do some internships over here in investment banking and then come to dubai and pursue cfa or what should I do should I come to dubai as a fresh acca affiliate, I am really not interested in audit and wont be trying my luck in big4s so what should i do?
Thanx in advance.
Take Care.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

First of all Investment Banking is a very lucrative and specialized field. You are correct, audit has nothing to do with it. Most of the activities in investment banking involves financial decision making using easiest to complex financial models. CFA is a treasury specific qualification. Although it does have some relevancy with investment banking. Check FRM qualification. It is more directly relevant to investment banking.

As i have mentioned before, coming here without experience is never recommended. The competition is so fierce that even experienced professionals are working for low salaries just to stay and wait for the recession to pass. This means fresh grads hardly have any place in the market. Only the BIG4s hire fresh grads now. Industry has much better choices for even lowest level jobs. 3 years experience is considered only for entry level jobs.

The banking industry in Pakistan is robust, regularized and vast. There is a chance that you can get a trainee level position in these banks in the investment banking department. It will not be that easy. Last time i was applying in banks in Pak, Internal Audit was the only department that had openings and it is the most boring place to be.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-21-2011, 04:36 AM
Post: #55
 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ZiaFakhar</i>
<br />OK
As I see opportunities there, I have to play gamble i guess, No choice. So a few more questions.

As I asked earlier what time of year I should choose for visit & how much money could it take during these three months for living, food, travel etc ?

What steps should I take before leaving, to ensure my employability in there I mean additional skills or add-ons which I might not be having right now or unaware of.

Which accounting software is more popular among those off the shelf softwares or they all use specialized ones? I'm sure you are having better Ideas.

I hope your answer to these questions will be helpful to every one.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

The best time is the last quarter of the year. I have mentioned full expense details on first page in a post i made, kindly check.

Please, do improve your soft skills. Communication, presentation, confidence is very very important. Also get a professional CV. Look for CV tips on internet.

SAP and ORACLE are the most used ERPs. Tally, Peachtree, JD Edwards, Quickbooks and Hyperion Financials are commonly used softwares. 90% of the jobs have these software mentioned.


<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by skhan01</i>
<br />DxB.Raf , thanx for your all help .
right now i am an ACCA Affiliate , and currently i have internship in KPMG . i am planning for 6 to 12 months internship then move to UAE , would that route good for me or wht u think is more preferable .
could u give me the list of ACA training firm in RIYADH besides BIG4 , cause its very hard to get ACA training contract with BIG4.
ACCA with 6 to 12 month training , could help me to get ACA training contract and JOB in UAE.
Thanx in Advance
plz tell me wht ur qualification and experience

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Its better you complete your 3 years training to become a member before moving. 1 year experience might only get you a 2.5-3k job, if it gets you one in the first place in indsutry. As i mentioned before BIG4 are open to fresh grads starting from 7-8k but very hard to get in. I firmly beleive that any experience below 3 years simply cuts your chances in UAE.

I am not sure which ACA are you talking bout. Is it ICAP or ICAEW? I don't think there is any firm registered with ICAP in KSA.

However, in UAE, a firm called Sajjad Haider and Co is registered with ICAP to provide articleship to its students. I had got an offer from them to work in internal audit section quiet fast after sending my CV.


All aspiring indivuduals looking to make a move to UAE. Note that there are some federal laws here that favor an employer more and sometimes go againt the expat employees. You are bound by EVERY job for 2 years. Means whenever you join an employer, you can not leave that job before 2 years and 1 year (with NOC). This rule is not yet clear and people got banned even after getting a NOC from their companies. So employers take advantage of this rule and don't give due promotions and pay raise knowing that the employee is bound with them by law. If you leave before 2 years you get a labor ban of 6 months. Getting banned means your labor and immigration record is ruined anyhow even after you try to come back after 6 months, you will face lots of problems.

So there is an inherent risk of slow or no growth in UAE. If you do move with 1 year or no experience and secure an entry level job, there is a good chance that you will be stuck there for 2 years if your employer refues to acknowledge your efforts in form of promotions. One of my CA cousin joined a government bank as AVP, which is a very high level job with a very lucrative package. Since past 3 years he has been working in the same position with same salary.

It is best that you gain atleast 3 years of experience and secure a mid level job atleast to mitigate this risk.


I am 25 in age and CAT, ACCA and CIA with 2 years experience in a 2nd tier audit firm in audit and 3 years experience from Big4 in consultancy. Currently working as Senior Executive in Finance.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-22-2011, 12:30 AM
Post: #56
 
DxB.Raf
A lot of thanx for reply.
Bro i am talking abt the ICAEW , is it possible for me get a icaew training contract or articleship in BIG4 and OTHER FIRMS IN AR RIYADH . could u give me the list of ICAEW TRAINING LIST firm and companies besides big4 . AND is it EASY to get THE ICAEW TRAINING CONTRACT in UAE.
and 6 to 12 months internship in KPMG help me to get ICAEW training contract in UAE , OR simple internship in UAE on the basis of ACCA in UAE both in BIG4 AND other FIRMS.
if i get any job in UAE or an internship or article i have to do 2 year before leaving its binding on me , and 1 year notice is required to give first before switching the job. so its become 3 year ?
plz reply
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-22-2011, 02:58 PM
Post: #57
 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by skhan01</i>
<br />DxB.Raf
A lot of thanx for reply.
Bro i am talking abt the ICAEW , is it possible for me get a icaew training contract or articleship in BIG4 and OTHER FIRMS IN AR RIYADH . could u give me the list of ICAEW TRAINING LIST firm and companies besides big4 . AND is it EASY to get THE ICAEW TRAINING CONTRACT in UAE.
and 6 to 12 months internship in KPMG help me to get ICAEW training contract in UAE , OR simple internship in UAE on the basis of ACCA in UAE both in BIG4 AND other FIRMS.
if i get any job in UAE or an internship or article i have to do 2 year before leaving its binding on me , and 1 year notice is required to give first before switching the job. so its become 3 year ?
plz reply


<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Dear friend, unfortuantely i am not quiet sure of the firms registered with ICAEW for their mendatory training in UAE or KSA except for the BIG4s. I suggest you contact ICAEW directly and check with them. Your KPMG internship can play some role in getting you hired. As i have mentioned before BIG4s hire trainees/Grads frquently unlike industries. However, getting in is a bit hard these days.

Don't get confused with the 2 years rule. It is very simple. Once you join a company you can not leave the company for 2 years. If you do, you will get a ban of 6 months.

Earlier people use to get NOC from their employers to avoid the ban. However, recently since Jan 2011, even people with NOC got banned for leaving before 2 years. So even if you stuck a deal with your employer and try to leave before 2 years, labor department would throw you out for 6 months.


We know UAE has 80% of expat population. So the labor and residency department's work load is crazy through out the year. They are making sure that once an expat is issued an employment and residency visa, he/she doesn't come back to them for another visa before 2 years. This is how they manage their operations. Through a penalty.


The only exception to this rule is that your next job is in a government sector organization like a government bank, institution like electricity or gas or telecom company or a federal department. Then, the labor would not put any ban on you since you will serve the government, you are given a favor.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-23-2011, 12:37 AM
Post: #58
 
hey DxB.RAF right now i am doing internship in KPMG not Article-ship is there any difference between them .i am allowed to internship for 2 year , in mine certificate from kpmg they write just internee , but the student who having the article for CA from kpmg they wrote trainee from kpmg with relevant industry experience.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-26-2011, 02:23 PM
Post: #59
 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by skhan01</i>
<br />hey DxB.RAF right now i am doing internship in KPMG not Article-ship is there any difference between them .i am allowed to internship for 2 year , in mine certificate from kpmg they write just internee , but the student who having the article for CA from kpmg they wrote trainee from kpmg with relevant industry experience.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Internship is a minor exposure to office environment. No matter how long is the period of internship, you hardly learn anything technical. You will be doing clerical office work like photocopy, scanning, writing memos, attending calls and writing figures from one schedule to another.

Articleship is a structured training program first introduced by ICAP in Pakistan. It very clearly focuses to build technical skills and knowledge of a trainee. Having a period of 3 - 3.5k years its gradually teaches a trainee everything that's required by the qualification. ICAP articleship is registered with them. ACCA students also go through this articleship in order to gain a solid foundation on which they can build their careers. For ACCAs, articleship can help them complete their PER and TDM requirements very easily. An articleship trainee is evaluated against certain objectives annual or bi-annually to gain promotions as a result. The promotion is normally in the duties and responsibilities part and not the stipend/pay.


Hence, there is a huge difference between internship and articleship.

An articles trainee gets experience letter of the last rank he was working on. Like Senior, Supervisor etc and not of trainee.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-27-2011, 06:10 PM
Post: #60
 
Thanks Brother S,

Excellent share!

I cannot move to UAE nw, But all this is very good info ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 


Forum Jump:


User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)