This is our old Accountancy Forum which is now closed and is only available for reference purposes.
Visit the NEW ACCOUNTANCY FORUM at http://forum.accountancy.com.pk/ which is open for registration and discussions.

Accountancy Forum Forum Links » Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Profession
 Students
 MBA (LUMS) vs CA (PAKISTAN)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ali514
Unregistered Trainee

Pakistan
1 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2006 :  3:04:11 PM  Show Profile
Which one is better?

After doing ACCA, wat is better?

Is it wise to MBA from LUMS or CA Pakistan?

Can one get admission in LUMS on the basis of bachelors from oxford brookes after ACCA Part 2?

Schuaeb
Partner

1119 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2006 :  7:42:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Schuaeb an ICQ Message
In my opinion MBA LUMS is the better option, although, I have no proof to substantiate my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

Abdur.Rehman
Semi Senior

Pakistan
234 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  12:34:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Abdur.Rehman a Yahoo! Message
MBA LUMS is a very good degree..but u cant compare a management degree with an accountancy degree.
There is no doubt about the quality of both.
If u r talking about future, then both are equal.
Time period is also same.
I think if u have to choose between the two, there is nothing to choose, its just ur trend or aptitude, wut suits ur personality.
best of luck
Go to Top of Page

ausmanpk2001
Manager

Pakistan
728 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  8:10:39 PM  Show Profile
Unfortunately HEC doesn't gives equivalence to oxford brookes bsc hons earned in pakistan. They ask for physical presence in the UK i.e passport or something else...if you can arrange something then you can get equivalence certificate..
Go to Top of Page

Muhammad Adnan Arshad
Manager

Pakistan
660 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  8:43:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Muhammad Adnan Arshad's Homepage
it will be more appropriate to say as MBA-LUMS (PAKISTAN) & CA-ICAP PAKISTAN.

(;-)
Go to Top of Page

Pracs
Partner

United Kingdom
1542 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2006 :  12:46:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Pracs an ICQ Message
I personally think that CA is the better option, I was in a some what similar position but then passed on for CA,.. specially because I was interested in MBA Finance and when I went for the LUMS initiation and met the students I realised that a lot of them were already professionals Doctors, Engineers etc.

Well, I am not sure if I would have been better off had I gone for the MBA,..
Go to Top of Page

insaan
Semi Senior

Pakistan
192 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2006 :  01:16:20 AM  Show Profile
in ur situation i wud hav gon 4 MBA (LUMS)
Go to Top of Page

sportyspice
Junior

Pakistan
57 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2006 :  11:44:38 PM  Show Profile
well pracs is right..one can go for mba even after being a proffesional and it is much more worthwhile doing this way......ali u got to see your potential....if u believe u can study hard and be a ca in appropriate time frame then go for it and u can do your mba laters...but if there is even a slightest doubt than u better go for mba from lums as it is a valuable oportunity not to be wasted.....but first tell me....does lums accept acca?....i am not sure???????
Go to Top of Page

Pracs
Partner

United Kingdom
1542 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  02:31:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Pracs an ICQ Message
quote:
Originally posted by insaan

in ur situation i wud hav gon 4 MBA (LUMS)

That is why you are not me !!
Go to Top of Page

fsiddiqui
Unregistered Trainee

Pakistan
23 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  01:23:40 AM  Show Profile  Send fsiddiqui a Yahoo! Message
ASSALAMUALAIKUM!
I think nothing is comparable with CA neverthless if i would have choice to get admission in LUMS or ICAP i will prefer LUMS
but keep in mind to get in lums is difficult but rest of the procedure is not so cumbersome on the other hand to get in ICAP is so easy but to survive there is so dificult.
think before u do.
BEST OF LUcK.
Go to Top of Page

Schuaeb
Partner

1119 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  10:15:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Schuaeb an ICQ Message
Pracs difference of opinion will remain untill there are more than one people on this earth. (Just kiddin) So, MBA LUMS is the better option.
Go to Top of Page

srqureshi
Unregistered Trainee

Pakistan
1 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  3:40:57 PM  Show Profile
In Pakistan, there is no match with CA if one has to work in the field of accountancy in a managerial capacity. All around the country first preference is given to CA then come the other qualifications. This is evident of day to day relevant advertisements. Besides, I am saying this because I am a professional accountant.
Go to Top of Page

noman
Senior

Pakistan
451 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  3:57:50 PM  Show Profile
it depends on aptitude.....if u are the kind who likes no bull****...and can sit do work...then do CA........if u have ability to speak,,,and ur good at interacting with people u can do mba...
Go to Top of Page

Schuaeb
Partner

1119 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  8:26:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Schuaeb an ICQ Message
I don't know all the student of CA consider that it is the best qualification in the world!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Pracs
Partner

United Kingdom
1542 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2006 :  02:25:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Pracs an ICQ Message
You guys are missing the point here, we are talking about MBA Finance and CA.. SO what Noman has said above does not make sense. Good interaction and people skills are needed as a CA as well.
Go to Top of Page

XBRL
Junior

116 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2006 :  4:24:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit XBRL's Homepage
grow up guys......mba and ca are not in any way comparable.... mba is a general degree ca is a specialized field.... lums mba is getting excessive in supply nevertheless they have a good teaching methodology but ca still is unomparable so this question is invalid....

ca is introducing few more courses down the stream related to biz mgt and financial mgt.... they need to improve the presentation and analytical skills. they need to even liason with iba or lums to get their trainees being trained in that environment. mba is a univ, degree and ca is a professional degree.... again say that this q is invalid
Go to Top of Page

Schuaeb
Partner

1119 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2006 :  8:48:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Schuaeb an ICQ Message
XBRL you definitely are a student of CA, and you are proving what I said in my last post on this thread.

Speaking power in CA, like many other professions, is more required than your working skills. (just my personal opinion)
Go to Top of Page

john2play
Unregistered Trainee

Pakistan
12 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2006 :  9:48:44 PM  Show Profile
i think that mba is much suitable 4 any pakistani student,coz usually ca takes more time and more expenditures than mba .After all we should take care of our father's pocket.And i think a middle class student can't afford ca to standard institue but he can afford mba.Allama iqbal open university mba is one of the best and cheap.inshalla i will do mba ,and mba is proffesional degree too.

Edited by - john2play on Jul 31 2006 9:55:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

ausmanpk2001
Manager

Pakistan
728 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2006 :  10:02:15 PM  Show Profile
AIOU say kar ke hashar hi hoga. I think CA is muuuuuuuccch more cheaper than MBA.
Go to Top of Page

mappleapple
Unregistered Trainee

Pakistan
28 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  12:17:21 PM  Show Profile  Send mappleapple an AOL message
People think that LUMS MBA is more better than CA ICAP just because of that LUMS is a well established and most expenses university, and no more than it while the CA is a cheaper but hard work demanding course.....
And if we examine that HEC is more established too in pakistan and every one know about it and about ICAP no one know except interested ones, and if we have to pay 130000 to 170000 per module then we all absolutly say that CA ICAP is better than MBA LUMS...
i have a question to all that if MBA is better than CA then why people join CA after getting thier degree of MBA or MCom...
Go to Top of Page

irfan kazim
Junior

Pakistan
94 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  10:10:15 AM  Show Profile
AOA. MBA is a good degree.it has reputation of the institute from where you have completed your mba. It does not matter that you have sound knowledge about your syllabus. MBA is a degree of introductory and foundamental level but ca is professional degree that requires study in depth. ca is more better than mba and there is no comparison of mba and ca.lums is just a sign of dignity it is just a university for the indusrialist not for the normal person
Go to Top of Page

irfan kazim
Junior

Pakistan
94 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  10:13:06 AM  Show Profile
There is no pakistan's university in world top 1000 university.Where is your lums in world ranking? And ca is the 7th accounting body in the world. just imagine
Go to Top of Page

ausmanpk2001
Manager

Pakistan
728 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  11:50:33 PM  Show Profile
I didn't wanted to reply & reopen the old topic but couldn't help with icap being the 7th accountancy body!

May I ask from where you got these totally misleading & absurd stats & who on earth rates accountancy bodies of different countries as being better than the other (except on this forum!)

Really some ICAP students are so "over-complexed". Fortunately or unfortunately I've yet to see such a person in my professional life!

Edited by - ausmanpk2001 on Jul 20 2009 11:52:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

sameera
Unregistered Trainee

9 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  10:16:58 PM  Show Profile
what about MBA from halei college of banking and finance of punjab university.
Go to Top of Page

kashif.perfectionist
Unregistered Trainee

Pakistan
2 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  12:36:36 AM  Show Profile  Send kashif.perfectionist an AOL message
CA(pkn) is the best ,no match ..........but but but .....IF U pass.....otherwise go for LUMS..........but QUALITY professional is ...............ACA.....................
Go to Top of Page

aamalik
Semi Senior

Pakistan
203 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  7:00:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit aamalik's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by fsiddiqui

ASSALAMUALAIKUM!
I think nothing is comparable with CA neverthless if i would have choice to get admission in LUMS or ICAP i will prefer LUMS
but keep in mind to get in lums is difficult but rest of the procedure is not so cumbersome on the other hand to get in ICAP is so easy but to survive there is so dificult.
think before u do.
BEST OF LUcK.

200% CORRECT
Go to Top of Page

Nauman
Semi Senior

Pakistan
251 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  4:04:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nauman's Homepage  Send Nauman an AOL message
On what basis are people comparing the two degrees?
Curriculum?
Salary package?
Demand in industry?

If its Curriculum you are comparing then MBA Finance from LUMS might just take the lead but as far as the other two are concerned I think CA is definitely ahead of MBA Finance.
Go to Top of Page

sahi.bukhari786
Unregistered Trainee

Pakistan
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2010 :  11:47:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit sahi.bukhari786's Homepage  Send sahi.bukhari786 an AOL message  Send sahi.bukhari786 an ICQ Message  Send sahi.bukhari786 a Yahoo! Message
MBA from Allama Iqbal Open University is the best.
Go to Top of Page

Alimaq9
Unregistered Trainee

3 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  1:03:57 PM  Show Profile
Technically LUMS is not a university, its just an institution. It doesn't even come in the world top 500 university ranking, but the University of Lahore does and was the first pakistani university to do so. CA is defiantly the better opinion...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Advertisements

Follow Accountancy on TwitterFollow Accountancy on Facebook

New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Advertisement(s)
Accountancy Forum © 2002 - 2010 Accountancy Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000