Accountancy Forum

Full Version: Treatment of Finance cost under ITO 2001
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Asalamu alaikum

Can anyone please tell me the treatment of finance cost, i.e. guarantee commission against margin received for setting up a project under the requirements of Income Tax Ordinance, 2001.

Regards

Ahmed Raza
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by A.raza</i>
<br />Asalamu alaikum

Can anyone please tell me the treatment of finance cost, i.e. guarantee commission against margin received for setting up a project under the requirements of Income Tax Ordinance, 2001.

Regards

Ahmed Raza
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Walaikum us Salam,

According to s.26 profit on debt is a deductible expenditure. What is profit on debt? According to s.2(46), profit on debt also mean charge or fee for any credit facility. As bank guarantee is a credit facility hence commission paid for it would be profit on debt which is deductible expenditure u/s 26.

According to several judgments in Indian jurisdiction, "Interest and Bank guarantee commission paid are allowable deduction" [1999 PTD 101 KARNATAKA-HIGH-COURT-INDIA; 2000 PTD 2691 BOMBAY-HIGH-COURT-INDIA; 1999 PTD 2538 KERALA-HIGH-COURT-INDIA; 2000 PTD 2119 GUJARAT-HIGH-COURT-INDIA; (1997) 227 ITR 464(Indian Supreme Court)]

However, in your case this expense is incurred for setting up a project. Expense incurred before starting a project will not be revenue expenditure but a capital expenditure.

interest on borrowed capital utilized in acquiring capital asset is a capital expenditure in the pre-production period and will be revenue expenditure after the commencement of the business.[1997 PTD 1454]

If the gurantee commission is paid during the pre-production periond, then in my opinion, it will be a pre commencement expenditures as defined in s.25. On the pre-commencement expenditure you may claim amortisation at rate of 20% according to Third Schedule.