Accountancy Forum

Full Version: Book Reviews
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela

One of the best autobiography's I have ever read, the narrator has no doubt led one of the most difficult struggles of contemporary times. Makes you kind of think if Mandela can achieve a post apertheid South Africa, any thing is possible. Like the ADDIDAS slogan Impossible is Nothing.

sounds like a good book. The man is an inspiration to all those seeking light. Am looking forward to reading it.

A must read book addressing principle centred approach for solving personal as well as professional problems. Gives you a good insight into cognitive behaviour

All these books are really good and written by some great people, but i will suggest you peaople to read "Zaawiya (angle)" by Ishfaq Ahmad. this book is a good attempt to tell us how a good citizen should behave wihtin a society in an islamic way and also how to implement islam in our personal and social lives. Hope u peaople will enjoy this book

Agree with you all the way augustus.. i myslef am a huge fan of honourable Ashfaque Ahmed... along the same string are his wife Bano Qudsia his erstwhile friend Mumtaz Mufti and the mystic Qudrat ulllah Shahab (QAS).

I would really recommend people to read QAS'S autobiography. Though he was one of the most powerful bureaucrat and also served as President Ayub Khan's secretary, his writing still inspires me what and how a professional should design one's career - based on principles. Some people may find it inclined towards 'Sufism' but it is great reading. I wish we produce more people like QAS.

good bed time reading

Ibn-e-Insha

azeem

Dear Pracs
I really agree with you about Qudrat Ullah Shahab's biography and really it's a good book to read especially when u want to know about the histotry of pakistan. But i will recommend you to read his book "Maan jee" as this is really a wonderful book in urdu litrature as i m sure after reading this book one really understand how to love his/her mom and how to give respect to her.

Augustus..

Yeah i have read the complete works of Qudratullah shahb, Mumtaz mufti, Bano Qudsia and Ashfaq ahmed.

I may not agree with your socio-islamic concepts but we share the same interest in literature.

hi pracs,
ya i also realised that we have common interest in litrature but plz would u like to explain my socio-islamic concepts.... as to me islam gives us all the solutions relating to our personal lives as well as our social lives... it's just whether we accept it or not

Sorry mate i took you for some one else, just re read the particular forum.. and u seem to be a reasonable person.

no worries mate, honest mistake and slip of the fingers !

Lahore plans to designate a book street soon
--------------------------------------------
By Shoaib Ahmed

LAHORE District Coordination Officer (DCO) Khalid Sultan is planning to set up a book street to promote literary activities and give street book vendors a place to set up stalls.

Shiekh Farid Ahmed, the personal staff officer of the DCO, said two book selling spots would be set up at the Liberty Market garden and at the green area in front of Tollington Market as pilot projects before the establishment of the book street.

Mr Ahmed said Government College, Oriental College and Punjab University had repeatedly complained to the city government about vendors selling books along the walls of their buildings. “To these institutions, the booksellers are encroachers and encourage other encroachers, such as paan sellers, to set up shop there as well. It does not look nice and it creates obstacles for pedestrians,” he said.

DCO Sultan had thus decided to give these booksellers a place to work. Mr Ahmed said the book street would be great for book lovers, intellectuals and students.

He added that there were several rare books not available in the market but that were being sold by street vendors. If all of them gathered at the book street, it would be a great place to buy books, he said................

http//www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=story_27-7-2004_pg7_17

"Allah does not change the state of people unless they change what is within themselves" Quran 1311
Well Pracs have u read "the princesses" by Jean susan and narrated by the Saudi princesses...if not so far then u must read this book as it's really an interesting book and u will come to know what's going on in suadi royal families...it's an excellent book

I'll will try to get my hands on this book.... many contorversial books are banned and not available here.. let see if this one is available

"Allah does not change the state of people unless they change what is within themselves" Quran 1311