Accountancy Forum

Full Version: Raja Gidh
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I wonder if some of our members have read "Raja Gidh" written by Baano Qudsia. I would love to have comments from our membrs.....

You betcha... I recommend every body to read it.. i have atleast half a dozen times (and i never read a book the second time).

I actually started to translate the novel into English (just went through a couple of chapters) when some one told me its already been translated into a number of languages.. though I am not sure,,

I'll comment in detail later, but in brief it truly describes what 'love' ought to be. Well, 'ishq' actually and that can take you to places. Plus it also talks about a very important sufi concept of 'halal' and 'haram' and the way it passes down genetically. Add to this Qudisa's imaculate narration. Its a beutiful work of literatre something that could compete for the Nobel in literature.

Ophie you had me started there.. what about your comments mate ?

"Allah does not change the state of people unless they change what is within themselves" Quran 1311
I came to know about the novel when a friend of mine (who was studying at Quaid-e-azam medical college) told me that two of his hostel mates attempted suicide after reading the novel. That was the time when I had a lot of free time after my B.Com Final exams. I bought the novel on my trip to Lahore and finished the whole novel in one night in one sitting........ It shook my soul ... I must confess ........ In my opinion the novel make your soul collapse from inside....its upto you how you build it again .......... I have also read it for numerous times ........ always found something new in it ........ I wonder how did a woman conceive such an idea ...... the whole writeup is almost impossible for a woman ..... Ashfaq Ahmed once said that it was a novel that was written 50 years before time .......he also said that this novel is equivalent to whole of his literature work in his whole life ........ I'll make further comments after getting your input .......

Yes Qudsia has produced a master piece in Raja Gidh,... the way the characters flow at and then each character builds itself into the story the most powerful in ''simi'' at the start of the novel,.. soon to be shadowed by ''aftab'', However, Qayyum goes in through the fabric of the story and comes out as a winner ?? ofcourse we are all left to wonder.. is he the King Vulture ... Rajah Gidh,.. preying on the dead Simi.. or is it....??

Qudsia puts on paper human emotions that I believe can only be experienced to be reproduced.

I was once watching an interview of Qudisa on PTV (3-4 Years ago).. she was commenting on a book in process and some sort of meta physcial presence which stimulated her to write some chapters of the book. Only she made it sound like if it was a next door neighbour !!

So whose your fav character in the book ophie ?? and who do you closely relate to (or may have related to at some point of time)

"Allah does not change the state of people unless they change what is within themselves" Quran 1311
Well pracs ....... every character has its presence in the novel and can't be easily neglected.......I think my favourite character wasQayyum's father ........ the old vulture ........ it comes into the story for a short while though .......it completely represents an old man ... its feelings about being alone....being powerless....waiting to die ..... I believe that at some point of our lives we are all bound to feel in the same way ..........

AOA
bhaiyo jab main ne yeh novel parha tha to jab hero beemar feel karta tha to main bhi beemar feel karta tha. mujhe lagta tha ke yeh sari situation mere uper beet rahi hai

aur issi novel ki waja se main ne haram aur halal ka concept achi tarah samajhne ki koshish ki hai..
aur ALLAH ka shukar hai ke kuch kuch haram se bachne ki koshish sahi bhi ja rahi hai
iss novel ki waja se soch k nae nae darwaze khulte hain
bano aapa aap ko salam hai yeh novel likhne par
issi liye yeh css ke urdu ke syllabus main bhi hai
ub aur kia kahoon...........

There is a will. There is a way.
www.sarfraz.cjb.net
0333-4502662
Raja Gidh - a class of its own, a must read for everyone.

regards

azeem

"You don't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when. You can only decide how you're going to live. Now."
I eagerly await for her next ''great novel'', which i hear is in the works for a number of years,.. any one got an idea when it hits the stands ??

The Late Ashfaque Ahmed has been quoted as saying that she is ''writing a master piece'' and had wished to have read it....

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id=quote>quote<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>It shook my soul ... I must confess ........ In my opinion the novel make your soul collapse from inside....its upto you how you build it again .......... I have also read it for numerous times ........ always found something new in it ........ I wonder how did a woman conceive such an idea ...... the whole writeup is almost impossible for a woman ..... Ashfaq Ahmed once said that it was a novel that was written 50 years before time .......he also said that this novel is equivalent to whole of his literature work in his whole life <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" size=2 id=quote>

In this day and age when rapid advancements are being made in the field of Human Genetics, and considering what we now know of the impact of heriditary genes in moulding the recipient's personality, it is really quite amazing to learn that Bano Qudsia had already tackled this theory back in 1981, when she wrote this book- Raja Gidh.

In Raja Gidh, Bano Qudsia puts forth her theory of hereditary genes through a fictional tale. She manages to convince the reader that money earned through illegal means affects a person's personality (for the worse), and that part of this personality then gets transferred via heriditary genes to the next generation.

Edited by - swalat on Dec 27 2004 43233 PM
By the way ........... can anybody tell me about end of the novel ................