Accountancy Forum

Full Version: ACCA position ? Finance qulaifications?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone.
Well i what i would like to know is which is the ultimate accountancy body to honor a student with the "Chartered Accountant" (CA) designation in the UK. What i mean to say is that which is the most most poplular and renowned body which has its hold over the market. I am only aware of "ACCA". I mean for a person to be designated as a Chartered Accountant is there any other body in the UK which is bigger, more popular and having more market value in UK and abroad other then ACCA, or is it best.
Are you designated as a "Chartered Accountant" after completing the professional ACCA course. And if your ultimate goal is to become a Finance Manager, then is ACCA helpful along with some other finance qualification (say MBA majoring in Finance) or should you directly stick to a finance qulafication without ACCA.
Hoping to hear from someone soon. Please forgive me for my ignorance, but i beleive this is the best place with the best guys out there replying, so i thought of asking .
I will be eagerly awaiting ur replies.

ARIF
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id=quote>quote<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Hi everyone.
Well i what i would like to know is which is the ultimate accountancy body to honor a student with the "Chartered Accountant" (CA) designation in the UK. What i mean to say is that which is the most most poplular and renowned body which has its hold over the market. I am only aware of "ACCA". I mean for a person to be designated as a Chartered Accountant is there any other body in the UK which is bigger, more popular and having more market value in UK and abroad other then ACCA, or is it best.
Are you designated as a "Chartered Accountant" after completing the professional ACCA course. And if your ultimate goal is to become a Finance Manager, then is ACCA helpful along with some other finance qualification (say MBA majoring in Finance) or should you directly stick to a finance qulafication without ACCA.
Hoping to hear from someone soon. Please forgive me for my ignorance, but i beleive this is the best place with the best guys out there replying, so i thought of asking .
I will be eagerly awaiting ur replies.

ARIF
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" size=2 id=quote>
A.O.A
Here i will like to add a few lines. I live in UK and likewise i have a sound knowledge of the Prevaling Market conditions. Here many ppl will argue with me and could even post some Links related to the Salary Surveys but the Ground Reality is that in UK ACA is more demanded than ACCA.
Now comiong specifically towards the answer for ur querie. In UK there are 4 Major Accountancy Bodies.
1.ICAEW-- Institute of Chartered Accountants of England And Wales.
2.CIMA-- Chartered Institute Of Management Accountants.
3.ACCA-- Accociation of Chartered Certified Accountants.
4.CIPFA-- Chartered Institute Of Public Finance Accountants.
Plz refer to the following link. There u can find Some Detailed Discussions regarding these Above Mentioned Qualifications. I hope it will clear your views.
http//www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt
For info regarding CIPFA Plz refer to the following thread.
http//www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1702

If ur aim is towards Finance Than U should Undertake CFA.Plz refer to the following link.
http//www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=607

For a detailed Discussion related With ACCA, CIMA CFA Plz refer to the following link.
http//www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=285

I hope my posts supported with some links will clear ur views regarding the Different Qualifcations.

And also answering ur post we arent designated as Chartered Accountant after Completing ACCA. Rather we are designated As Chartered Certified Accountant. After Completion of ICAEW we can use Words ACA After our names.

---------------------------------------------
If I could... Then I would... Turn back time!!
A-O-A,

Dear Arif, If you want to add Chartered Accountant after your name then ICAEW-- Institute of Chartered Accountants of England And Wales is the right place for you.

Regards,

In This imaginative World Nothing is Impossible
Hi Arif,
ACCA definitly adds some value to ur career(accounting and finance)...
But CA (chartered accountant) and ACCA are different qualifications...
and CA is the most respectful qualification amongst others (some ACCA argues otherwise)...
ICAEW is the institute for CA in England...

Ace
Maani and sohail, thanks a lot for replying. But guys one more thing. I beleive that this is a debatable topic, but i just need a general opinion as to whether an ACCA professional is treated equal to an ICAEW Chartered Accountant. I mean tehchnically and market value wise do they both stand together. Even a friend of mine who is studying in UK has told me that ACCA and CIMA are really very populart and u get to see a lot of vacancies for these qualifications. Its really popular there and gaining popularity also.
Please do express ur views about an ACCA professional and a C.A. And are these qualifications equal in every sense.
Take care guys. And do reply.

ARIF
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id=quote>quote<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Maani and sohail, thanks a lot for replying. But guys one more thing. I beleive that this is a debatable topic, but i just need a general opinion as to whether an ACCA professional is treated equal to an ICAEW Chartered Accountant. I mean tehchnically and market value wise do they both stand together. Even a friend of mine who is studying in UK has told me that ACCA and CIMA are really very populart and u get to see a lot of vacancies for these qualifications. Its really popular there and gaining popularity also.
Please do express ur views about an ACCA professional and a C.A. And are these qualifications equal in every sense.
Take care guys. And do reply.

ARIF
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" size=2 id=quote>

Dear Arif,

I think it is very difficult to compare ACCA & ACA or CA (Pak). And this would most certainly lead to a roit over here with everyone justifying his/her own qualification.

ACA is no doubt the supreme accounting qualification in the UK. It is much easier to do ACCA then ACA. Furthermore, since ur location is QATAR, I would remind u that unless u are a british resident, doing ACA from ICAEW is quite difficult for u. This is because firstly you will have to move to the UK. Secondly, it will be very difficult for u to get internship in a decent (big 4) firm in the UK after u have completed ur foundation studies. Because the big-4 over there like to hire british nationals first & it is a lot of hassle for them to hire trainess from other countries.

ACCA on the other hand is quite easier & cheaper, as it can also be done from ur home country (or the middle-east region). The training requirements are also quite relaxed.

For further info look @ earlier posts pointed out by desert sleet

Cheers,
AvgJoe

Thanks a lot AvgJoe.

ARIF
Hi Arif,
ACCA and CIMA are popular in UK...but still ACA is the most demanded qualificaion (some ACCA's at this forum will argue otherwise)... in Pakistan CA is the most demanded qualification amongst others...
But ACCA is good enough to do well in UK and Arab countries...so if u want to have a good future then ACCA ll be enough...but if u want to touch the heights then take the challenge of CA...

Ace
There is no purpose in trying to prove 'who is better thn whom'. every qualification has its merits n demerits. qualification itself is just a passage which help u to acheive ur ultimate aim. So if u r planning to joing any One of them, dont worry that which one is good instead just decide that which career u r trying to pursue, n then look for the appropriate qualifications tht could assist u to reach there.

---------------------------------------------
If I could... Then I would... Turn back time!!
Hi Arif,
ACCA and CIMA are popular in UK...but still ACA is the most demanded qualificaion (some ACCA's at this forum will argue otherwise)... in Pakistan CA is the most demanded qualification amongst others...
But ACCA is good enough to do well in UK and Arab countries...so if u want to have a good future then ACCA ll be enough...but if u want to touch the heights then take the challenge of CA...

Ace
A-O-A,
I personally think technically both are some. But by the market value I think ACA is mostwanted.

Regards,

In This imaginative World Nothing is Impossible
Hi,
I have already added the phrase that is answer to ur posts
"some ACCAs will argue otherwise"....letz wait for the others...

Ace