Accountancy Forum

Full Version: Moving to Pakistan after becoming an ACA qualified
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,

I am just starting my ACA training (ICAEW) with a mid-tier firm in London. Please would anyone be able to give me some views on whether I would have much to gain if I moved to Pakistan upon qualification after three years? I have only lived in Pakistan, and that too only in Islamabad, for a few years but somehow, something just seems to want to pull me back. Can anyone tell me any advantages or disadvantages of making such a move? I worry because I've heard that all the top positions in the top companies go to individuals who may "sifarish" and although I'm certainly aware of that, do you guys think it's definitely that big an issue to stop one from wanting to pursue their career in Pakistan? Also, I would be keen on knowing where the majority of positions would be based- am I correct in assuming that it would be in Karachi? And finally, as a future accountant, can anyone share their opinion on average salary expectations for ACA qualified staff in Pakistan and whether one could get by on such a salary (in terms of accomodation, living expenses, travel and such expenses)?

Any helpful views would be greatly appreciated- in return, I would be happy to help out in any way I can.

K. Hafiz,

GaMbLeR
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by GaMbLeR</i>
<br />

mid-tier firm in London.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Which firm is that and what's your educational background? When do you intend to qualify?

DT
Hi DT,

I would rather not disclose the name of the firm, if that's OK. In terms of educational background, I will be completing my undergraduate degree in the summer, but have managed to already get my training contract. In terms of qualification, I hope to be fully qualified by March 2008.
I've read through a number of your replies in some of the other posts and you seem very knowledgable in terms of career opportunities in Pakistan and the state of play within the fields of accountancy/actuarial science so would be grateful if you could help in any way.

Thanks a million,
GaMbLeR
Pls chk your email.

Thanks - DT