Accountancy Forum

Full Version: Education of women
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, I know I'm gonna get flamed for this but what the hell. Do you think, from a purely economic standpoint, that the education of women helps our country? Seeing as a large portion of women give up their careers in order to have a family, don't you think that the resources used for their education are being wasted and could be put to better use.

Before people label me as a backward mullah, let me say that I am not against women being part of the workforce. I just feel that it is a waste of money when a woman spends her life building up for a career and then gives it away when she gets married.

---------------------------------------------------------
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
I don't think it's a waste of money for three reasons.

a) We treat everyone as individuals. Just because a large proportion of women cut hours, change to low pressure jobs or leave the workforce for time while raising kids doesn't mean all do. Even if it is a minority who will take career over family for a significant time, it doesn't mean they should be excluded from education because of the majority.

b) If you live in a democracy it's neccesary for everyone to be educated. If women didn't get an education at all they wouldn't be able to read or write, meaning their knowledge about world affairs would be limited and their ability to interact with others through letter writing etc would be removed. No doubt that there are some idiots and ignorants who get to vote vote, their called BNP or UKIP supporters (or god help them Veritas) [8D], but they are a minority.

c) This is a personal one for me, but I couldn't live with an idiot girlfriend or wife longer than a few months, and she'd have to be unbelievably hot too [p][D], before I got bored and went looking for someone better. I know the studies say men look for women less intelligent than themselves but I can't bear them. I don't have any dumb female friends let alone potential partners.

---------------------------------------------
If I could... Then I would... Turn back time!!
Education expenses on a woman never go in vain. If she works, its good but its more better that she raise her children and transfer her knowladge to her little ones.
I am completely in fever of giving higher education to women irrespective of what they do in future.
Can you imagine if a father dies leaving two or three children and an illeterate wife. Who can she raise her children if she is not educated. Will her relatives help her, No. Then what? Education is must for women.
There are many other chances where education of a woman becomes important.

========================
```*``` I love stars;
*`*`*`* Shining;
`*`*`*` and Smiling;
*`````* Always.
------------------------
Shahid_fss@yahoo.com
http//www.shahid-fss.tk
========================
From a 'purely economic standpoint' an educated workforce just adds to the quality of life for all.

You assume that all women drop out when they have children - a false statement. A majority return to work as soon as they are able. Others stay home for a longer period and begin the education of their children, then return to work.

I think that if you check the labor statistics the percentage of women who acquire an education then drop totally out of the workforce is actually small.

The only ones who believe you point of view is those who still suffer from a stone-age dogma.

Please drop the dogma and join the 21st century thinking of people who don't condone treating women as second class beings.

When The Going Gets Tough ... The Tough Gets Going ...
Hi,
I think education is a must for every girl today...this is not a wastage of money...but ur point is valid in those cases where girls get very formal education and ends up in marriage only, this will definitly be a wastage of money and their time...they should get formal education but only if they want to make a professional career...

Ace
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by maani</i>
<br />Hi,
I think education is a must for every girl today...this is not a wastage of money...but ur point is valid in those cases where girls get very formal education and ends up in marriage only, this will definitly be a wastage of money and their time...they should get formal education but only if they want to make a professional career...

Ace
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">You're right, maani, most women don't drop out the workforce after having children. Some will take time off to raise the children for awhile, but then go back to work. There is nothing wrong with a woman who wants to stay home with her children and be a housewife, if that is what makes her happy and she finds enjoyment out of it. And there is nothing wrong with a working mother either. I find it sad how working mothers are belittled and homemakers feel they are being attacked by the working woman. The battle lines are clearly being drawn in this society.

When The Going Gets Tough ... The Tough Gets Going ...
I think maani got my point. I was referring to higher education, more specifically a university degree.

DS, there ARE a number of women who don't fully utilise thier education. True, I don't have any statistics to back it up but I made the statement by observing the people around me. For example, I had a teacher (female) who had a Masters degree in Psychology, but she was teaching Urdu to class 5. Now she doesn't "need" a Psych. degree to do that. Similar thing with an English teacher having a Chemistry degree. If the cost of her education could have been spent on something more productive, it would have been more beneficial to society.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Some will take time off to raise the children for awhile, but then go back to work.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Okay, let's consider this scenario. Say a person starts working at 25 and retires at 60. that's 35 years of working. A women may take, say, 5 years to raise kids, that brings it down to 30. A guy on the other hand, would have worked the full 35 years. Keeping in mind that not EVERY person in the state can be educated, we have to make some choices. Who do you think should be preferred?

---------------------------------------------------------
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.