Accountancy Forum

Full Version: actuarial sciences
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Apocalypse</i>
<br />Hello Derivative Trader,

have you been in Pakistan last month or so, i thought i met you.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Yes I had been in Pakistan for past 6 weeks. I have just gotten to London last Tuesday. Where did you meet me?

DT
You visited Alchemy Associates

Did you?
syed and sumaan, the exemptions for soa exams for university actuarial science students starts in a year or two,a student studying at the university of pennsylvania told me that, the exemptions havent started yet i'm sure about that,but the soa has made a new rule, it's about to be implemented. syed write an e-mail to the soa, i think writing an e-mail to the ombudsman will be better. i hope that helps
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Apocalypse</i>
<br />You visited Alchemy Associates

Did you?

Thats right.
welcome back apocalypse and syed its been a long time since u guys posted messages on this forum, i learn from both of you, i hope u guys will continue posting messages
derivative trader did u write that article in the future actuary magazine? its written by an Ahsan from LSE,anyway its a very good article
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by adnan25</i>
<br />syed and sumaan, the exemptions for soa exams for university actuarial science students starts in a year or two,a student studying at the university of pennsylvania told me that, the exemptions havent started yet i'm sure about that,but the soa has made a new rule, it's about to be implemented. syed write an e-mail to the soa, i think writing an e-mail to the ombudsman will be better. i hope that helps

Yes, please let us know about that.

I have a friend who is giving SOA exams and he told me his cousin in LSE would be exempted from the first four SOA exams after completing BSc. in Actuarial Sciences.

Are you sure they currently offer no exemptions?
ur cousin will basically get exemptions from the ioa exams but he can also get exemptions from the soa exams because there is an agreement between soa and ioa. lse is a british university, ioa gives exemptions to students of british universities, but soa does not give exemptions to student of american univerities
YES THANX,I am clarified to a much extent, but i still dont know what is meant by the term "exemptions". hope you wont find it a baby question

zaid
And this question is for derivative trader! could you tell me the names of those universities which are recognized as best for actuarial sciences? i am just looking for universities because i am just finished with my A-levels. thanx

zaid
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by adnan25</i>
<br />derivative trader did u write that article in the future actuary magazine? its written by an Ahsan from LSE,anyway its a very good article

Indeed that was one of my articles and thanks for your appreciation.

DT

[/quote]

I he told me his cousin in LSE
[/quote]

What's the name of that person? You can either leave his/her details here or pm me.

DT
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zaid</i>
<br />YES THANX,I am clarified to a much extent, but i still dont know what is meant by the term "exemptions". hope you wont find it a baby question

zaid

It's not a 'baby' question.

Exemption mean that suppose your institution has an agreement witha a particular awarding body and if you manage to secure a certain amount of numbers/marks you will get that exemtion to the correspoding professional exam by that awarding body.

For instance, there is, at the time of writing, an agreement by LSE with the IOA that if any student of the LSE secure a certain amount of numbers in some degree level courses then he/she may be exempt from taking correspoding IOA exams.

I hope it clarifies a bit but please feel free to ask if it still doesn't make sense.

DT
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zaid</i>
<br />And this question is for derivative trader! could you tell me the names of those universities which are recognized as best for actuarial sciences? i am just looking for universities because i am just finished with my A-levels. thanx

zaid

Its personal decision but I wouldn't just look for actuarial science programme's rating but would also look for university's stading on its own. For instance, in the UK, City University may have a better actuarial science dept. than the LSE, but most employers would still prefer an LSE graduate over City. This might be naive but I would go for the university brand and would care about the programme's reputation to a lesser extent. In UK/US, most people haven't studied the subjects relating to their professions but their employers only hire students from a targetted institution.

So, if I were you I would take Mathematics, Actuarial Science, Physics, Economics from any of the following institutions,

UK
Oxbridge, LSE & Imperial College.

US
Ivy League and some Liberal Art schools.

Good Luck
DT
Hello, im new to the forum.My name is Moaiz. ive taken admission in LUMS at Lahore.I just wanted to ask if taking Mathematics as majors in the BSc program will help me in appearing for SOA exams atleast for the Associate exams. I will try to give u a better idea by givign u my course listings. they are MATH 211 - Ordinary Differential Equations.doc
MATH 251 - Number Theory.doc
MATH 301 - Real Analysis-I.doc
MATH 303 - Complex Analysis.doc
MATH 321 - Abstract Algebra.doc
MATH 344 - Numerical Analysis.doc
MATH 501 - Mathematical Analysis.doc
MATH 521 - Advanced Algebra.doc
Math 323 - Differential Geometry.doc
MATH 101 - Calculus-I.doc
MATH 221 - Linear Algebra.doc
MATH 304 - Mathematical Logic.doc
MATH 343 - Optimisation Techniques.doc