Accountancy Forum

Full Version: Accountants or Clerks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there any difference between modern Accountants (CA, ICMA,CIMA, ACCA, CFA, ETC.) and those which were called clerks or "munshi" in the past.

Are you kidding ! or is that a genuine question ?? anyways..

Clerks and book keepers is one thing.. I think every accountancy student must be clear on that

Munshi is quite some thing else, Munshi was the designation used for a person who was more of an office manager your equivalent of a Finance and Admin Manager (minus double entry accounting, IFRS and all the technicalities these days). Important thing to remember, Munshis practised the dying art of Single entry accounting (sort of cash basis) on to 'KHATA's'. And different professional families (as in past) had developed their own scripts/terms and shorthands etc.

I think CFA is quite different all together, you don't have to be an accountant to ba a CFA,, and is got nothing to do with accounting anyways.
Pracs you must recall that number of persons entering into CA etc professions and qualifying is very low and thus the image of "munshi" is still in the scene, you agree or not. Further you must have noticed that small or medium size companies prefer those as mentioned by iahmed. We have to put our efforts to wash this "thappa".

------------------------
Be careful! Words speak....
But Do you agree with my analogy Moon ? The Munshi factor, is some thing I haven't witnessed in the real world, even in Pakistan. During my articles I have had the opportunity of venturing into Govt owned businesses and ''sethia'' houses but, though the accountants were what I call ''B.com types'' but never seemed to have run into Munshi's. The only role models, I can refer to are the one's in sub continent movies, or one particular person who I met briefly (my father worked/interned with this person for some time in his college days!). But are there any real life Munshis out there these days,. I don't thnk so..
I think you are more talking about get up of mushis. What is the difference (remember this is not all around scenario) if the older munshi carries books of accounts (called "khattas") with him and now-a-days they are carrying it in flash or laptops or CD, the medium is not a question. Rather we should concentrate on the role they are playing and how they have beeb utilized. Though the figure is not as that of pure munshis, it is getting better.... i saw a wallpaper in Amir Alam & CO from ICAP saying that "We are not the back room accountants any more, rather we are leading from the front". it was like kind of statement. there are number of accountants which have been treated in the manner of a munshi, i know...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are a politician then you are a lier, but if you are a lier you may not be a politician!
<font face="Book Antiqua"> <font size="3"><font color="blue">HiGhLy PAid clErKs </font id="blue"></font id="size3"></font id="Book Antiqua">
[D]

---------------------------------------------------------------<font face="Courier New"><font size="1"><b>
Y is the WorLd so full of ..........FOOLs ?????? n y am I one of them (
[Wink]</font id="size1"></b></font id="Courier New">
You are right Sahar, I agree with the arguments of pracs, but right at the moment he is in UK, thats why he has some different feelings about Accountants.

Even CFO, (Qualified CA with 10 to 15 Years Exp.) are considered as Highly paid Munschi instead of Front Role Servics Department Head. The CEO used to call him in bad language and ask from him again and again, "What about the Cheque /Payment".

Are CFO in the real world "The Financial / Accounting Decision Makers"
Ahmed i believe that you are so much desperate from the comments here that u have posted a new topic on the forum to say, "oay kon kehnda asee mandee aan" (read in punjabi).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are a politician then you are a lier, but if you are a lier you may not be a politician!
Iahmad you talking of the accountants of the previous era ok.
Nowadays the accountants are not as described by you.Pracs has given much arguments so i will not.
The accountants are not only the accountants they are Auditors, Corporate experts, Taxation masters, also system analyts. So how can you say that they are only Munshis?

Prays makes the Future
Ibri
ibrarganori@yahoo.co.uk
http//www.ibrishah.4t.com
I am just sharing my experiences, not imposing any thing.
I believe sometimes one has to disagree to maintain the flow of discussion, that is what we should keep in mind as well.

Thanks Moon! for guidence but the flow is in right way.

Prays makes the Future
Ibri
ibrarganori@yahoo.co.uk
http//www.ibrishah.4t.com
Ibri your discussion should be informative not antagonistic.