Accountancy Forum

Full Version: Islam in its true spirit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
<b><font color="green">At the Age of Sixteen A German Teen Discovers Islam</b></font id="green">

<b>By Melissa Hardy</b>
September 14, 2005

“Our Father who art in Heaven, hollowed be Thy name, Thy Kingdom come Thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven, give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.” I prayed before I slept.

I was about 13 then. My friends and I thought it was the coolest thing in the World to be Christians. We all went to church together on Sundays and Youth on Wednesday at the Baptist Church that is now known as “Gateway Church” on Tulare St. and Conyer. We were all die hard Christian punks. We went to shows that had Christian bands playing and listened to Footklan and Living Sacrifice.

“Dead to the World, and alive in Christ!!” we would shout as the band got ready to play their next song.

About a year went by like this. My friends even took me to the Vans Warped Tour in 2002. I was 14 when I began thinking to myself, “Religion shouldn’t be a fad. Come to think of it, I only believe this because my friends do.”

I immediately went to my Youth Pastor. I told him how I felt and what my questions were. He gave me little “workbooks” that were supposed to help guide me on my path. My questions were serious; not just silly questions kids think of. Mine were like—why does God have a son? How can God and his son be one including the Holy Spirit? What is the Holy Spirit? Since God and Jesus are one, and Jesus died on the cross… Did God die then too?—some answers he did have, but others he just said to me, “It takes faith.”

“Faith,” I thought to myself. “Faith? He is telling me I need to have faith to know that the basis of my religion is real and true?”

Later I went to a priest and asked him the same questions. I got the same answers. I went to the pastor at Grace Lutheran Church and asked him the same questions. Again, I got the same answers. I went home to think and gather my thoughts together.

“Judaism!!” I thought.

It’s like the backbone of Christianity. “If Christians weren’t right then Jews have to be!” I thought.

I started reading online about Jewish beliefs, culture, and tradition. I fell in love. I downloaded Jewish songs and bought movies by Jewish producers and writers. I wept and wept watching Schindler’s List and The Pianist. I felt betrayed by my own countrymen. (I’m German) I felt angry towards Palestinians and love for Israel and its people. I went to the Synagogue, Temple B’nai David, every Friday on Chinowth and Tulare. I tried teaching myself Hebrew. I found out that Reformed Jews allow women to wear yarmulkes. So, I immediately went and bought one. I wore it with pride in the Temple, I wore it to school, and downtown with my friends. Now I was a Jewish punk. I wanted to start a band named “The Mad Rabbis”. I wanted to be a Rabbi.

Time went on and I turned 15. Despite the passion I had for this beautiful religion, I saw the huge hole it had in it. I felt there was something missing. There was no Jesus. I completely tried to forget about him. As much as I tried, I just couldn’t. So, I thought to myself, “Judaism can’t be it. As much as I want it to be, it just can’t. I can’t believe in something knowing there is a void.”

At that time I just felt completely lost. I didn’t know what to do. I gave up. My friends started to go astray from their religion also. But the path they took was the rough one. Smoking, drinking, and partying were their way of release from what they felt. And unfortunately I began to hang out with them more. So, I picked up the habit of smoking. I drank once, but I got so sick that I never did it again. And just the thought of alcohol still makes me nauseous. I eventually got back into my search for myself after a few months. I remembered this one religion I heard of—Islam. And that’s pretty much all I knew about it. That it was called Islam and that it’s an Arab religion. I decided to read about it. I bought a couple of books, but I mostly went to Islamic websites like http//www.islamonline.net. I studied this new, foreign, and misunderstood religion not knowing that it would change my life forever.

“What was this? That’s how you pray? There is no God but God? Fasting? Charity? Pilgrimage to Mecca? Mecca?” I read on and on.

I learned that the people on 9/11 who called themselves Muslims were going against what their religion taught them. I found a verse in the Qur’an that says if you take one life it's like taking the lives of all humanity, and if you save one life it's like saving all of humanity. I read that women had the right to education, divorce, owning homes, driving, etc. They have every right as any woman living in America. I found out that culture and religion differ a lot. I began to pray as best as I could. I memorized all the Arabic and all the movements. I gained respect for my parents. I stopped smoking. I fasted my first Ramadan last year in 2004 as a Muslim. I learned that as a Muslim, I should be humble and not argumentative. I read that I should respect my elders and respect myself. I started wearing my hijab at the beginning of this semester. I wear it because I believe my body is my own business. Just because I cover my hair doesn’t mean I am less of a woman, but in fact, it makes me more of a woman. People may look at me and think “terrorist”, but I’d rather let them think of me like that when I know I am no where close to anyone. Or, if I’m not wearing my hijab, people could look at me like any other girl and if they like what they see on my body then they’ll talk to me. I chose respect. I learned also that Muslims believe that Jesus (Son of the Virgin Mary) was a Prophet and Mohammed was the last Prophet. I learned they accept the Bible and Torah and the Qur’an all as Holy Books. I began to look at the fighting between Palestine and Israel with disgust. I didn’t understand how people could have so much hate for each other. I gained so much knowledge of this young, beautiful religion. I decided it was time.

I converted to Islam in May of 2004 at the age of 16.

I am a Muslim. That’s who I am and that is my religion. My religion has shaped my outlook on life, my behavior, and my perception and acceptance of others. It’s very important to me because it is a part of me everyday, every moment. I pray five times a day. I worship my God the way He wants and not how I want. I don’t think about Him only on Sundays, Wednesdays, and Fridays or when I am in trouble. I think about Him all the time, every day. It has made me more accept the others and has given me understanding. Islam has shaped not only my beliefs, but also my opinions, and my actions. Alhamdulillah. (All praise is to God)

Prays makes the Future
Ibri
http//www.ibrishah.4t.com
<b>Whoever Makes a Picture</b>

Narrated Said bin Abu Al-Hasan (Radi Allah Anhu) While I was with Ibn 'Abbas (Radi Allah Anhu) a man came and said, "O father of 'Abbas (Radi Allah Anhu) ! My sustenance is from my manual profession and I make these pictures." Ibn 'Abbas (Radi Allah Anhu) said, "I will tell you only what I heard from Allah's Apostle (sal-allahu-alleihi-wasallam). I heard him saying, 'Whoever makes a picture will be punished by Allah till he puts life in it, and he will never be able to put life in it.' " Hearing this, that man heaved a sigh and his face turned pale. Ibn 'Abbas (Radi Allah Anhu) said to him, "What a pity! If you insist on making pictures I advise you to make pictures of trees and any other unanimated objects."

<i>Source</i> [Sahih Bukhari Volume 3, Book 34, Number 428]

Narrated Aisha (Radi Allah Anha) I bought a cushion with pictures on it. When Allah's Apostle (sal-allahu-alleihi-wasallam) saw it, he kept standing at the door and did not enter the house. I noticed the sign of disgust on his face, so I said, "O Allah's Apostle (sal-allahu-alleihi-wasallam)! I repent to Allah and His is Apostle. (Please let me know) what sin I have done." Allah's Apostle (sal-allahu-alleihi-wasallam) said, "What about this cushion?" I replied, "I bought it for you to sit and recline on." Allah's Apostle (sal-allahu-alleihi-wasallam) said, "The painters (i.e. owners) of these pictures will be punished on the Day of Resurrection. It will be said to them, 'Put life in what you have created (i.e. painted).' " The Prophet (sal-allahu-alleihi-wasallam) added, "The angels do not enter a house where there are pictures."

<i>Source</i>[Sahih Bukhari Volume 3, Book 34, Number 318]

Prays makes the Future
Ibri
<b><font color="green">Musa (Alaihi salaam) & Angel of Death</b></font id="green">

Narrated Abu Huraira (Radi Allah Anhu) The angel of death was sent to Musa (alaihi salaam) and when he went to him, Musa (alaihi salaam) slapped him severely, spoiling one of his eyes. The angel went back to his Lord, and said, "You sent me to a slave who does not want to die." Allah restored his eye and said, "Go back and tell him (i.e. Musa (alaihi salaam)) to place his hand over the back of an ox, for he will be allowed to live for a number of years equal to the number of hairs coming under his hand." (So the angel came to him and told him the same). Then Musa (alaihi salaam) asked, "O my Lord! What will be then?" He said, "Death will be then." He said, "(Let it be) now." He asked Allah that He bring him near the Sacred Land at a distance of a stone's throw. Allah's Apostle (sal-allahu-alleihi-wasallam) said, "Were I there I would show you the grave of Musa (alaihi salaam) by the way near the red sand hill."

<i>Source</i>[Sahih Bukhari Volume 2, Book 23, Number 423]

Prays makes the Future
Ibri
<b><font color="green">Do not Kill Yourselves</b></font id="green">

"And do not kill yourselves (nor kill one another). Surely, Allah is Most Merciful to you."

<i>Source</i> [4. Surah Al-Nisaa Ayah 29]

"And do not kill your children for fear of poverty; We give them sustenance and yourselves (too); surely to kill them is a great wrong."

<i>Source</i>[17. Surah Al-Israa Ayah 31]

Narrated Thabit bin Ad-Dahhak (Radi Allah Anhu) The Prophet Muhammad (sal-allahu-alleihi-wasallam) said, "Whoever intentionally swears falsely by a religion other than Islam, then he is what he has said, (e.g. if he says, 'If such thing is not true then I am a Jew,' he is really a Jew). And whoever commits suicide with piece of iron will be punished with the same piece of iron in the Hell Fire."

<i>Source</i> [Sahih Bukhari Volume 2, Book 23, Number 445]

Narrated Jundab (Radi Allah Anhu) the Prophet Muhammad (sal-allahu-alleihi-wasallam) said, "A man was inflicted with wounds and he committed suicide, and so Allah said My slave has caused death on himself hurriedly, so I forbid Paradise for him."

Narrated Abu Huraira (Radi Allah Anhu) The Prophet Muhammad (sal-allahu-alleihi-wasallam) said, "He who commits suicide by throttling shall keep on throttling himself the Hell Fire (forever) and he who commits suicide by stabbing himself shall keep on stabbing himself in the Hell-Fire."

<i>Source</i> [Sahih Bukhari Volume 2, Book 23, Number 446]

Prays makes the Future
Ibri
<b><font color="green">Anyone who Saved a Life; Saved the Mankind</b></font id="green">

[5.Surah Al-Maidah Ayahs 27]

"And relate to them the story of the two sons of Adam with truth when they both offered an offering, but it was accepted from one of them and was not accepted from the other. He said I I will most certainly slay you. (The other) said Allah only accepts from those who guard (against evil)."

[5.Surah Al-Maidah Ayahs 28-29]

"If you will stretch forth your hand towards me to slay me, I am not one to stretch forth my hand towards you to slay you surely I fear Allah, the Lord of the worlds. Surely I wish that you should bear the sin committed against me and your own sin, and so you would be of the inmates of the fire, and this is the recompense of the unjust."

[5.Surah Al-Maidah Ayahs 30-31]

"Then his mind facilitated to him the slaying of his brother so he slew him; then he became one of the losers. Then Allah sent a crow digging up the earth so that he might show him how he should cover the dead body of his brother. He said Woe me! do I lack the strength that I should be like this crow and cover the dead body of my brother earth? So he became of those who regret."

[5.Surah Al-Maidah Ayahs 32]

"For this reason did We prescribe to the children of Israel that whoever slays a soul, unless it be for manslaughter or for mischief in the land, it is as though he slew all men; and whoever keeps it alive, it is as though he kept alive all men; and certainly Our apostles came to them with clear arguments, but even after that many of them certainly act extravagantly in the land."

Prays makes the Future
Ibri
<b><font color="green">Superiority between
Muhammad (sal-allahu-alleihi-wasallam) & Musa (alaihi salaam)</b></font id="green">

<b>Surah An-Nisaa Ayah 150-152</b>

"Surely those who disbelieve in Allah and His apostles and (those who) desire to make a distinction between Allah and His apostles and say We believe in some and disbelieve in others, and desire to take a course between (this and) that. These it is that are truly unbelievers, and We have prepared for the unbelievers a disgraceful chastisement. And those who believe in Allah and His apostles and do not make a distinction between any of them - Allah will grant them their rewards; and Allah is Forgiving, Merciful."

<b>Sahih Bukhari Volume 3, Book 41, Number 594</b>

Narrated Abu Huraira (Radi Allah Anhu) Two persons, a Muslim and a Jew, quarrelled. The Muslim said, "By Him Who gave Muhammad (sal-allahu-alleihi-wasallam) superiority over all the people! The Jew said, "By Him Who gave Musa (alaihi salaam) superiority over all the people!" At that the Muslim raised his hand and slapped the Jew on the face. The Jew went to the Prophet (sal-allahu-alleihi-wasallam) and informed him of what had happened between him and the Muslim. The Prophet (sal-allahu-alleihi-wasallam) sent for the Muslim and asked him about it. The Muslim informed him of the event. The Prophet (sal-allahu-alleihi-wasallam) said, "Do not give me superiority over Musa (alaihi salaam), for on the Day of Resurrection all the people will fall unconscious and I will be one of them, but I will. be the first to gain consciousness, and will see Musa (alaihi salaam) standing and holding the side of the Throne (of Allah). I will not know whether (Musa alaihi salaam) has also fallen unconscious and got up before me, or Allah has exempted him from that stroke."

Prays makes the Future
Ibri
It is not an achievement to make thousand friends aday but the achievement is to make one friend for thousand years.
<b>Surah Ikhlas Equals One Third of Quran</b>

<b>Sahih Bukhari Volume 6, Book 61, Number 533</b>

Narrated 'Abu Said Al-Khudri (Radi Allah Anhu) Amir bin Rabi'a (Radi Allah Anhu) A man heard another man reciting (Surat-Al-Ikhlas) 'Say He is Allah, (the) One.' (112. 1) repeatedly. The next morning he came to Allah's Apostle (sal-allahu-alleihi-wasallam) and informed him about it as if he thought that it was not enough to recite. On that Allah's Apostle (sal-allahu-alleihi-wasallam) said, "By Him in Whose Hand my life is, this Surah is equal to one-third of the Qur'an!"

<b>Sahih Bukhari Volume 6, Book 61, Number 534</b>

Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri (Radi Allah Anhu) The Prophet (sal-allahu-alleihi-wasallam) said to his companions, "Is it difficult for any of you to recite one third of the Qur'an in one night?" This suggestion was difficult for them so they said, "Who among us has the power to do so, O Allah's Apostle (sal-allahu-alleihi-wasallam)?" Allah Apostle (sal-allahu-alleihi-wasallam) replied " Allah (the) One, the Self-Sufficient Master Whom all creatures need.' (Surat Al-Ikhlas 112.1--to the End) is equal to one third of the Qur'an."

Prays makes the Future
Ibri
It is not an achievement to make thousand friends aday but the achievement is to make one friend for thousand years.
Following is a brief description of the Five Pillars of Islam

<b>Shahadah</b> The English translation of the Shahadah is as follows "I bear witness that there is none worthy of worship except Allah, the One, without any partner. And I bear witness that Muhammad is His servant and His Messenger." Islam’s fundamental belief is the Unity of God. All other beliefs hang on this belief. Therefore the acknowledgement and ‘bearing witness’ of this is the key to the Muslim faith. Unless this is observed one cannot be a Muslim.

<b>Salat</b> Islam lays the greatest of emphasis on salat, prayers and remembrance of Allah for spiritual reformation. Prior to salat one makes one’s ablutions, have clean clothes on and in keeping with the sanctity of the worship present oneself on time and with full respect. The first part of this preparation is the apparent cleanliness. One should try and have clean clothes on. The ablutions before prayer need to be made to make the salat valid. One cleans one’s hands, rinses the mouth, cleans the nostrils, washes the face, hands and fore-arms. All this is repeated three times. Wet hands are passed over the head and the ears are cleaned with the tips of the forefinger. Lastly the feet are washed, again three times. Along with the obvious cleanliness through ablution, it also signifies a purification of one’s inner self. When a worshipper washes during ablution with the intention of praying, he/she also reflects on his/her inner purification and cleanses his/her mind from worldly thoughts, and draws the attention of his/her soul to be in attendance of God. The significance of all the different postures of salat is there is a deep connection between what is on the outside and the inner self of a human being. The physical postures of salat are in keeping with the mental attitude of humility with which one worships God. These postures affect the heart and indeed the heart’s humility affects the physical postures. The prayer starts with a standing position called ‘Qiyam’. Then there is a bowing position called ‘Tasbih’. Two prostration’s are followed, they are called ‘Sajdah’. In the end there’s a sitting position and that is known as ‘Q’adah.

<b>Zakat</b> Zakat is a part of devotion enjoined upon Muslims by the Holy Quran. It is a means where the well-off pay a set amount of their wealth. Zakat means to purify oneself. It is obligatory on Muslims to pay a little percentage of their accumulated wealth towards Zakat, which is used for the benefit of the needy and the poor. Zakat is not levied on one’s property that is in personal use, rather on the assets which have a means of increasing and which are surplus to one’s needs. It is a means of social justice and order. It teaches sympathy of the highest order.

<b>Fasting</b> Along with salat, another important form of worship is fasting. It is obligatory for each Muslim, apart from some exemptions, to fast in the month of Ramadhan. During the hours of fasting, food and drink and conjugal relations between husband and wife are forbidden. It is enjoined that during fasting one should pay attention to remembrance of God and study the Holy Quran in abundance. One should try to curtail one’s worldly pastimes as much as possible during Ramadhan, and to be particularly inclined towards charity and alms giving. Human life is dependent on food and drink and the continuation of the human race depends on the marital relationship. While fasting one refrains from them both, as if bearing witness to God that for His pleasure man gives up the factors (temporarily) upon which his very existence depends. The various other benefits of fasting are that man gets to exercise sacrificing physical comfort and to endure hunger and thirst. Fasting creates a sense of equality between the rich and the poor. By developing an appreciation of hunger and thirst, it makes the well-off think of the needs of the poor and impresses a feeling of compassion in their hearts. It makes them appreciate, through the practicality of it, the state a human being endures when hungry and thirsty. Ramadhan is a most effective and excellent means of spiritual development for mankind.

<b>Hajj</b> Hajj is another form of worship. It is obligatory for each adult Muslim who can afford it. Apart from the financial aspect, the ability to afford the pilgrimage also means that one is able to travel and perform the Hajj in peace. During Hajj, the person who intends to perform it is required to travel to Mecca during the prescribed days and observe all the rites and ceremonies. During Hajj Muslims from all corners of the world gather in Mecca and perform the rites of Hajj and thus strengthen the bond of Muslim unity. During Hajj each place brings to mind some event of the blessed life of the Holy Prophet (peace and blessings on him). It refreshes the memory of the supreme sacrifices made by the Holy Prophet (peace and blessings on him) for the sake of Islam.

Prays makes the Future
Ibri
I from the core of my heart greets all the muslims of this forum a happy Ramazan.

Prays makes the Future
Ibri
<b><font color="green">25 rules of being close to Allah </b></font id="green">

1. Start off each day with 'adhkaar al-istiyqaadh' (waking up Supplications), thanking Allah for waking up in good shape

2. Put Allah first in your life.

3. Broaden your horizons - learn 5 new verses from the Quran every day, travel to pray far in the mosque to brighten your day,take up a booklet having supplications and read them.

4. Pray Salaat Al-dhuhaa (after sunrise).

5. If someone says something mean; to you, just shrug it off and dismiss it in a friendly, laid back manner, and pray that Allah shall forgive them.

6. When you get angry, remember Allah, and how short and worthless life is to waste in being Angry.

7. Remember that you can never have too many friends, but you can have few quality friends that help you fulfill the purpose of your creation (i.e. live for Allah).

8. When you're happy, try to share your happiness with others. Thank Allah for that, and pray its continuation.

9. When something bad or embarrassing happens to you, just think that it could always be worse, remember the reward of patience,and thank Allah that it's not worse than it is.

10. Do something extra of goodness once in a while, like feeding a poor person, or caressing an orphan's head.

11. Never stop believing that you can win Allah's love and thus work For it. Then you can win the love of Allah's slaves.

12. Spend some time thinking of Allah's amazing creation.

13. Always love those who love Allah unconditionally. This way you will ensure that you live for Him, love for Him, and hate for Him (those who are enemies of Him).

14. Find the righteous ways to express yourself, and if you think that what you are about to say shall cause no benefit, maintain silence (this is tough!!).

15. Every now and then, give yourself a break. Play sports, give time to your family, friends, but always remember Allah and watch that He is watching you.

16. Pray for blessing to come to those being lost, and pray to Allah to guide them to the right path.

17. Hug your parents, kiss their hands and heads and always obey but stop at Allah's orders.

18. Smile to everyone, for your smile makes a big difference to him or her and you are rewarded.

19. Forgive, forget and smile.

20. Tears are not for women only... tears are for all human beings with feelings remaining in them. Don't restrain your tears when remembering Allah.

21. When people criticize your actions and effort, revise your actions and see if they please Allah or no. If they do; then ignore and remember how the Prophet (SAAW) and the Sahaba were criticized, made fun of and even physically harmed, so have patience.

22. Read the Quran daily and try to have a schedule for completing it as much as you could. As you open the Quran daily, read with observing not just passing your eyes through the words.

23. Don't let popularity go to your head, for it never lasts and you may lose from it more than gain.

24. Never look down on anybody, for, to Allah, they may be better than you.

25."Invite all to the way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching; And consult with them in ways that are best and most gracious." (Al Qur'an, 16125

Prays makes the Future
Ibri
<b><font color="green">One who Recites and One who doesn't Recite Quran</b></font id="green">

<b>Sahih Bukhari Volume 6, Book 61, Number 538</b>

Narrated Abu Musa Al-Ash'ari (Radi Allah Anhu) The Prophet Muhammad (sal-allahu-alleihi-wasallam) said, "The example of him (a believer) who recites the Qur'an is like that of a citron which tastes good and smells good. And he (a believer) who does not recite the Qur'an is like a date which is good in taste but has no smell. And the example of a dissolute wicked person who recites the Qur'an is like the Raihana (sweet basil) which smells good but tastes bitter. And the example of a dissolute wicked person who does not recite the Qur'an is like the colocynth which tastes bitter and has no smell. "

Prays makes the Future
Ibri
virtue of fastingAbu Hurayrah, may Allah be pleased with him, narrated that Allah’s Apostle, Salla Allahu Alayhi Wasallam, said, what translated means,

“Allah said, ‘All the deeds of the son of Adam are for him the good deeds will be multiplied ten times to seven hundred time, except fasting, which is for Me and I will reward for it accordingly. He abandons his (sexual) desire, food and drink for Me.’ Verily, there are two joyous and pleasurable moments for the fasting person one at the time of breaking his fast, and the other is when he will meet his Lord (in the Hereafter). Verily, the unpleasant odor emanating from the mouth of the fasting person is better in the sight of Allah than the scent of musk.”

quran and modern science.From "The Origin of Man"
By Dr. Maurice Bucaille
(FIRST PART)
Dr. Maurice Bucaille is an eminent French surgeon, scientist, scholar and author of "THE BIBLE, THE QUR'AN AND SCIENCE" which contains the result of his research into the Judeo-Christian Revelation and the Qur'an. It is a unique contribution in the field of religion andscience.

Being an outstanding Scientist, he was selected to treat the mummy of Merneptah (Pharaoh) which he did. During his visit to Saudi Arabia he was shown the verses of the Holy Qur'an in which Allah says that the dead body of the Pharaoh will be preserved as a "Sign" for posterity. An impartial scientist like Dr. Bucaille, who (being also a Christian) was conversant with the Biblical version of Pharaoh's story as being drowned in pursuit of Prophet Moses. He was pleasantly surprised to learn that unknown to the world till only of late, the Holy Qur'an made definite prediction about the preservation of the body of that same Pharaoh of Moses' time. This led Dr. Bucaille to study the Holy Qur'an thoroughly after learning the Arabic language. The final conclusion of his comparative study of Qur'an and the Bible is that the statements about scientific phenomena in the Holy Qur'an are perfectly in conformity with the modern sciences whereas the Biblical narration's on the same subjects are scientifically entirely unacceptable.

he is saying tha.........

FROM THE ORIGIN OF MAN

As most people in the West have been brought up on misconceptions concerning Islam and the Qur'an; for a large part of my life, I myself was one such person. Let me cite one or two specific examples to indicate the kind of inaccurate ideas generally current.

MISCONCEPTIONS

As I grew up, I was always taught that 'Mahomet' was the author of the Qur'an; I remember seeing French translations bearing this information. I was invariably told that the 'author' of the Qur'an simply compiled, in a slightly different form, stories of sacred history taken from the Bible; the 'author' was said to have added or removed certain passages, while setting forth the principles and rules of the religion he himself had founded. There are moreover Islamic scholars today in France whose duties include teaching and who express exactly these views, although perhaps in a more subtle form.

This description of the origins of the Qur'anic text, which is so out of touch with reality, might lead one immediately to assume that if there are scientific errors in the Bible, there must also be errors of this kind in the Qur'an! This is the natural conclusion to be drawn in such circumstances, but it is based on a misconception. We are well aware that at the time of Muhammad - the Qur'anic Revelation took place between 610 and 632 A.D - scientific obscurantism prevailed, both in the Orient as well as in the West.

In France, for example, this period corresponded roughly to the reign of King Dagobert, the last of the Mrovingians. This approach to what was supposedly the Qur'anic text may on first sight seem logical, but when one examines the text with an informed and impartial eye, it becomes clear that this approach is not at all in keeping with reality. We shall see in a moment the truth of this statement, which is obvious from the texts.

Whenever there is textual proof of the existence in the Qur'an of statements that are in agreement with modern knowledge, but which in the Bible are related in a manner that is scientifically unacceptable, the stock response is that, during the period separating the two Scriptures, Arab scientists made discoveries in various disciplines which enabled them to arrive at these supposed adaptations. This approach takes no account whatsoever of the history of the sciences. The latter indicates that the great period of Islamic civilisations, during which, as we know, science made considerable progress, came several centuries after the communication of the Qur'an to the communication of the Qur'an to man.

Furthermore, scientific history informs us that, as far as the subjects dealt with in this present book are concerned, no discoveries were made during, the period separating the Bible from the Qur'an.
When this aspect of the Qur'an is mentioned in the West, however, we are likely to hear it said that while this may indeed be so, nowhere is this fact referred to in the translations of the Qur'an which we possess today, or in the prefaces and commentaries that accompany them.

This is a very judicious remark. Muslim - and indeed non-Muslim - translators who have produced a French version of the Qur'an are basically men of letters. More often than not, they mistranslate a passage because they do not possess the scientific knowledge required to understand its true meaning. The fact is, however, that in order to translate correctly, one must first understand what one is reading. A further point is that translators - especially those mentioned above - - may have been influenced by notes provided by ancient commentators often came to be regarded as highly authoritative, even though they had no scientific knowledge - nor indeed had anybody else at that time. They were incapable of imagining that the texts might contain allusions to secular knowledge, and thus they could not devote attention to a specific passage by comparing it to other verses in the Qur'an dealing with the same subject - a process that often provides the key to the meaning of a word or expression. From this results the fact that any passage in the Qur'an that gives rise to a comparison with modern secular knowledge is likely to be unreliably translated.

Very often, the translations are peppered with inaccurate - if not totally nonsensical - statements. The only way to avoid such errors is to possess a scientific background and to study the Qur'anic text in the original language.

......................be continue.................................

An-Noor Ayah,,,,, 38
That Allah may reward them according to the best of their deeds, and add even more for them out of His Grace. And Allah provides without measure to whom He wills.
Az-Zumar Ayah 34
They shall have all that they will desire with their Lord. That is the reward of Muhsinun
Az-Zumar Ayah 35
So that Allah may remit from them the evil of what they did and give them the reward, according to the best of what they used to do

Pages: 1 2