Accountancy Forum

Full Version: Business Schools
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
An MBA Degree has become like the shares in the stock market that are judged by the strength of the businesses they represent.

Take the business schools for business companies, we see a lot of institutes mushrooming around the city. From higher standards to to average to low, these institutes claim to give the best they can.
but few are the best actually1

I invite my friends to give their feedback on how a business school can really impact the standing of its graduates. what are the best institutes to name a few and how is the market response.

All time favorites, The LUMS and IBA;
What about the other schools in line???
Are they doing really a good job.

How can we compare a Pakistani MBA with an MBA abroad?
Is there any comparison on quality of graduates?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">

How can we compare a Pakistani MBA with an MBA abroad?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Well the obvious difference is the work experience requirement set by many of the best reputed foreign business schools. Approximately, they all require between 3-5 years of solid work experience for their normal MBA programmes and significantly more for their Executive MBA programmes.

Another difference is the cost and duration. MBA programmes, generally, in USA are 2 years long, whereas, in Europe they are usually 1 year. Cost for a good school in US is around $100k - $130k, whereas, in Europe around $75k or less (for 1 year).

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">

Is there any comparison on quality of graduates?

Depends. Some schools in US/Europe would only take graduates with over 700 GMAT score. If you consider GMAT a measure of quality of graduate, then yeah may be graduates of foreign school are of good quality. This is something very debatable.

DT
Thanks for your response, derivativetrader!
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">May be graduates of foreign school are of good quality. This is something very debatable.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Are there any examples of Pakistani graduates pursuing successful careers abroad?

The point is, where does an MBA from Pakistani Business Schools stands in global job market?

in global job market a pakistani MBA is rarely recognized as a professional qualification. Even if he/she has done MBA from IBA or LUMS. the fact of the matter is any degree from a third world country is not considered equal to second world countries.

Cheers

The point is, where does an MBA from Pakistani Business Schools stands in global job market?

Well on their own I don't know any statistics to back up any statement that I might make. However, Shaukat Aziz did MBA from IBA and he did pretty well in his international career with Citigroup.

Also, I don't know how possible it is but you could make a good career out of your local MBA. For example, say you get a job with a multinational in Pakistan and if you are doing good, and opportunity exist, you could be seconded to overseas.

Having said that, I know at least one graduate of IBA who is now a Director of ABN AMRO in London, after obtaining his another MBA from Harvard.

DT
It would be a bit of struggle for a pakistani business school graduate to make a forte in the UK or the US for that matter. I guess most graduates do for an upgrade degree in the country of employment. Like DT's acquaintance at ABN AMRO,.Ofcourse a lot dependes upon what kind of experience you have had. I have met quite a many Pakistani and Indian Bankers in Dubai who have worked in a couple of Asian countries and are heading major departments in MNC banks at regional levels. We have examples in Shaukat Aziz, Shaukat Tarin (also ex citibank). A lot depends what kind of job market really exists in the host country.. severe human resource shortages does change quite a lot. For instance Doctors graduating from Pakistani medical schools are working on short contracts in the UK,.. primarily because there is a shortage of medical professionals in this country.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Failure is a word unknown to me" - M A Jinnah