Accountancy Forum

Full Version: Do accontants lack communication skills?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Do accountants lack communication skills. One of my friends is saying this... they donot have good communication skills & personality like those in MBA where the are taught to groom their selves.

He says that this is especially true about CA's becasue unhain time hi nahin milta kay woh kuch karein....

Is this true??

Another question is that does the behavoriual studies papers in module C helps studens to enhance their communication skills (not written, oral only) and helps in better understanding of human beings?

Is this the case??

PS Dont take it as a criticism? its a question.

Khisyaani billi khambaa nochay.. agar meinkeh doon k MBAs ki personality nahee hotii aur wo CAs k muqablay mein dull minded hotay hein to kia maan loge ?... )
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Shahbaz</i>
<br />Khisyaani billi khambaa nochay.. agar meinkeh doon k MBAs ki personality nahee hotii aur wo CAs k muqablay mein dull minded hotay hein to kia maan loge ?... )
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

shahbaz you are just for nothing doing criticism,lol I am not doing MBA so there's no sense to say this about me.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ausmanpk2001</i>
<br />Do accountants lack communication skills. One of my friends is saying this... they donot have good communication skills & personality like those in MBA where the are taught to groom their selves.

He says that this is especially true about CA's becasue unhain time hi nahin milta kay woh kuch karein....

Is this true??

Another question is that does the behavoriual studies papers in module C helps studens to enhance their communication skills (not written, oral only) and helps in better understanding of human beings?

Is this the case??

PS Dont take it as a criticism? its a question.

Self actualization and self confidence is very important in this regard. You can't generalize anything over a specific population. I have seen CAs who are dull in communication, agree. But I have seen many CAs whose communication skills are really outstanding. So it depends upon a person and, not on a profession.

ICAPians, the unparalleled..
Hi,
infact what is wrong with us is that we are giving wrong meanings to Communication Skills...if someone is good in spoken english we call him a good communicator and vice versa...spoken english is just one element of good communication skills...and spoken english depends upon ur schooling, the people to whom u interact, atmosphere of your office and ofcourse ur confidence...

Another fact is that C9 doesnot help u in verbal communication...it does helps a lot to improve ur written communication only...the PSTC is designed to improve student's verbal communication but the way majority of RAETs are conducting this course adds a little to student's verbal communication skills...
chanda jis tarha tumne kaha tha waisay hi main nay kaha tha .. ye aisii hi baat ki thiii tumne jaisay koi kisi ko maar k bolay "lagii to nahee ? " ) so grow up
<font face="Verdana">
first of all, i can only pray Allah tht this discussion abt ACA & MBA do not turn out like fruitless and pathetic discussion of ACA & ACCA tht has crossed 30 pages of rubish by now.

well, ausmanpk2001 has raised a very realistic issue. i wont say tht all CAs r dull or all MBAs r dull. the real difference comes from the schooling u got!!! n i mean it really.

ask any behavioural scientist or go to any psychologist, he will agree with me 100%. if a person comes from a very good schooling (O/A level, for example or ne other good one) he is trained in expressing the views, communicating it, work in teams, and all the stuff tht makes up good communication n ultimately a good professional.

if the schooling is not good, no college or university is going to do miracle. this is why many CAs r excellent bcoz they r brought up the way they r; and many MBAs r dull in communicating bcoz they were not brought up tht way (and vice versa, of course)))

remember tht u learn good communication by practically practicing it n never by just studying n passing exams.i also want to share some related info

i read in a book of communication skills written by Murphy (too much used in MBA syllabus) tht a survey was conducted in USA whereby general managers of some Fortune500 companies were studied to know tht how do these successful ppl spend their time. the results showed tht more thn 90% time they spent in Communicating with others; in the form of writting letters/memos, attending/conducting meetings n negotiations, calling on telefones, n ne way u can think of.

the same book book says in the same chapter tht whn CPAs, who were at top mgmt positions, were enquired they told tht the subject tht helped them the most (even more thn accounting) was good communication skills n tht it was their key to success.

so u see, how imp the communication is!!! it is really all abt the "attitude", simply.

</font id="Verdana">
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by the_farhan</i>
<br /><font face="Verdana">

i read in a book of communication skills written by Murphy (too much used in MBA syllabus) tht a survey was conducted in USA whereby general managers of some Fortune500 companies were studied to know tht how do these successful ppl spend their time. the results showed tht more thn 90% time they spent in Communicating with others; in the form of writting letters/memos, attending/conducting meetings n negotiations, calling on telefones, n ne way u can think of.

</font id="Verdana">

What else were they supposed to do??? I am curious to know what they were doing in the remaining 10% of time )

Azeem
Remaining 10% can be spent in taking meal, staring at their scretary(if there is any) through window blinds, wash room is another necessity.......I donot remember any other methods of passing time without communicating...if someone can add more techniques to pass that 10% time,
salam guyzz
hope u all r fine
well good communication skills is a process n one keeps on learning it during his/her profession
i juz wana give answer to ausmanpk that a Chartered accountant has good communication skills bcoz after module D when u start ur articles u gain alot in communication skills like visiting client etc... therefore after passing 4 years in such envoirnment how can it happen that a CA lacks communication skill
[8D] Great replies on this topic, especially farhan...

It'll become a kind of social topic rather than accounting one but there's a question??

What if someone hasn't got schooling from big schools or hasn't done O/A levels??

I agree that some people are good in communication themselves, BUt its the brought up that makes the basis. I have seen a lot of people reaching great heights in careeer becoming ceo's, secretaries & chairmen in beuracracy & ca's but un ka phir bhi pata chalta hai keh which kind of family they belonged earlier. i mean kay unkay bari umar main jaa kay taraqi karnay say woh baat nahn aati kay. hamesha pata chalta rehta hai kay what they actually were.....

what can some one do to improve himself, his communication skills to look modern/like someone who has done A levels etc etc.??? any suggestions/answers other then useless suggestions like joining firm & becoming a super communicator there.
Well Dear Ausman

Actually the problem with we people is that we only beat the bush out, we should see the bright side, keeping beside the communication factor CA's are working well in their field for their job.

and i think we shud remember the fact that a person (HUMAN) can't be perfect so dont expect 100% from any body and CA's and other professionals, CEO's etc are not in exception from them all.

And where this topic stands i will like to add there are some natural Instincts which helps to enhance communication skills, and i think only 25% of people have only that..may be less.

Regards.
Hey Everybody there
Usman, what i believe that any skill can be developed very easily if determination factor is there. There is nothing in this world which can not be done, whether its yur communication skills either written or spoken, yur living style and any other thing. I have so many examples here which colud prove that an average persons have turned into elites of thier times.
What if someone has not joined a school of high standards or have not done his/her A/O levels. He/She could improve his/her communication skills if he/she study english litrature, engilsh newspapers, magzines etc etc. The point that CAs lack in this skill won't be appropriate to say at all. If there is deficiency of such kind in anybody, he can overcome it with strong conviction and determination.
"If any person is a professional accountant (like chartered accountant, cost & management accountant etc), it will be a foolish thinking to say that he/she is a good communicator also".
Communication & interpersonal skills can only enhance his/her professionalism. But generally, professional accountants don't lack communication skills (I think so), because his/her profession by nature develops enough communication skills in him/her.
<font size="2"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Self motivations is the <b>key</b> to a perosns sucess, if u wish to excel in communication or in anyother field ,, how determined u r is the most important factor . how hard u wrok to achieve ur goals matters the most though personal capabilities do imply )

n wht is this abt ppl coming frm the O/A lvl stream being <b>more modern like</b> (as u put it) , who said tht all ppl coming frm the O A lvl system r beta than the rest ??? not always . ,, skooling matters ,, if a matric + inter student comes frm a gud skool he shall definitely be more polished than a person for a local skool, the system followed has more to do with the approach to studies than with communication skills/crisma.

<u><b>Tips</b> on becoming a super communicator </u>
Read some <b>books</b> up n if find a gud one let us know as well Wink.
Other than tht ,, I think the first step is to be able to convery wht u hv in mind , to be able to fully express ur self, than a self analysis ,, chk wht is missing ,, wht feature u r not offering n tht others r …and where u went worng…………….. the rest follows D</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size2">

<font color="red"><b>Sahar_M</b>[D]</font id="red">
Pages: 1 2