Accountancy Forum

Full Version: Big Firms or Growing Firms
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Why do students go for big firms instead of growing firms. As per my knowledge there exist greater opportunities for learning in growing firms. Normally in big firms trainees spend more of their time in two or three audits and there are less learning oppertunities. Where as in growing firms there is variety of work and also trainee can work on all fields like audit consultancy and tax. So why to prefer big firms ........... just because of goodwill. ....?
students are inn this line of chartered accountancy to EARN money. no other reasons. articleship with big4 offers the best experience that is possible in terms of market value. any other firm whether its growing or have grown or a new one doesnt offers the reputation that a big4 can.
only thing is to make money. aur big4 offers it the most. no one is here for learning only.
You are right but after qualifying is that matter?
Well, its not just the Brand name, it is the training, skill and experience that comes with it.

Having said that, it is as important to qualify too, have the right experience and your initiative. I would say each of the above has a 25% weightage ie

Big4- 25%; Qualification 25%, Experience 25% and Initiative 25%.

I personally know people from non Big4 doing quite well and average performers from Big4 tredging just behind.
Well, its not just the Brand name, it is the training, skill and experience that comes with it.

Having said that, it is as important to qualify too, have the right experience and your initiative. I would say each of the above has a 25% weightage ie

I personally know people from non Big4 doing quite well and average performers from Big4 tredging just behind.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Muhammad Adnan Arshad</i>
<br />Well, its not just the Brand name, it is the training, skill and experience that comes with it.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Arshard what are you trying to do ???
yes, arshad wt r u trying to do?
Regards
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pracs</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Muhammad Adnan Arshad</i>
<br />Well, its not just the Brand name, it is the training, skill and experience that comes with it.

Arshard what are you trying to do ???
Mr Imran i totally disagree with your post that ;

"Normally in big firms trainees spend more of their time in two or three audits"

who says u this????

and the ans. of your question is so simple.
big4 always deals with the good(in all terms)/reputed/big networked/ clients
I think the best way is to go for the tradd off after assigning weightage to all these. Now,the question is to assign weitage to each of this characteristic, which very from person to person and time to time. Now a days the pak economy is growing, and a qualified person with a Growing firm will surly be preferred over an unqualified person in the Market. Is it not SO?
An other point is that a person from big 4 wiil defintly outclass the person from other firms, if he concentrate more on his studies and qualifies after completion of training...... so THE WOrld Is full OF Choices!!!!!!!
Good luk to all in their future
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by capricorn_me</i>
<br />Mr Imran i totally disagree with your post that ;

"Normally in big firms trainees spend more of their time in two or three audits"

who says u this????

and the ans. of your question is so simple.
big4 always deals with the good(in all terms)/reputed/big networked/ clients

PRACS! i'm totally agree to you, so seconding your replies. OK
never mind
LOL I for a minute thought that a robot had taken over Adnan's account.
It means that Big firms have weightage of only 25%. I agree with this
Both type of firms, big or small, offer opportunities. Pace of learning is faster in a growing firm as compared to a large firm. With two years' behind you in a growing firm, you would have more diversified knowledge, be more confident, have more authority and liberty, as compared to two years in a large firm.

Ofcourse, there is a 'risk' of trade-off (and I do not say that there 'is' a trade-off always). The trade-off of quality. There is a risk that the quality of experience 'might' not be as good in a growing firm as it is in a large firm.

My personal suggestion is that if you plan to make a career within the profession, then considering the recent growth of CA Firms, new and older ones alike, I suggest that you join a growing firm as an internee and work you way up the ladder. There is a good chance that you might end up as a partner in that growing firm within 8-10 years of association with the firm. And that 8-10 years includes your four years of articleship.

Ahson nice suggestion, joinin a small firm with an intentions of becomin the partner. And, if things do not proceed in the way u wanted. I mean after four years you come to know that you wont be able to become a partner there. then?
Ofcourse, there are chances especially in small firms for students to become partner there if they manage to qualify during there stay in the firms, but, as it is not certain, one can't and shouldn't join a small firm with this intention.
Brand name, according to my opinion, does matter a lot, especially in your first job. (I have not passed through this experience yet)
Secondly, the quality of experience one may get in a big firm may be much different from that in a smaller one. (I guess i do not need to explain)
Moreover, you may have a good chance of developing personal references in a big firm.
Office culture is another a very crucial issue. Situation may be very worse in a small firm.
Small firms have also got a number of advantages, yet Bigs are definitely much a better choice.