Accountancy Forum

Full Version: TOP FAILED STATES
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
AOA,

Pakistan and Afghanistan are among the world's top 10 most vulnerable states, according to a new study.
The report - compiled by the US Foreign Policy magazine and the US-based Fund for Peace think-tank - ranked 146 nations according to their viability.

Judged according to 12 criteria, including human flight and economic decline, states range from the most failed, Sudan, to the least, Norway.

Bangladesh, Nepal and Sri Lanka are rated 19th, 20th and 25th respectively.

The top 60 positions in the list were occupied almost exclusively by African, Middle Eastern, and Asian countries.

India was ranked 93rd, Bhutan came 39th and the Maldives were not mentioned.

Internal conflicts

The second annual "failed states index" was based on "tens of thousands of articles" from different sources gathered over several months in 2005 and reviewed by experts, its authors said.

FAILED STATES 2006 - TOP 10

1. Sudan (3)*

2. DR Congo (2)*

3. Ivory Coast (1)*

4. Iraq (4)*

5. Zimbabwe (15)*

6. Chad (7)*

(Tie) Somalia(5)*

8. Haiti (10)*

9. Pakistan (34)*

10 Afghanistan (11)*

Position in 2005 report

Sudan tops 'failed states index'
Do you live in a failed state?

Each nation was given an overall score based on the 12 criteria

mounting demographic pressures

massive movement of refugees and internally displaced peoples

legacy of vengeance - seeking group grievance

chronic and sustained human flight

uneven economic development along group lines

sharp and/or severe economic decline

criminalisation and delegitimisation of the state

progressive deterioration of public services

widespread violation of human rights

security apparatus as "state within a state"

rise of factionalised elites

intervention of other states or external actors
Pakistan's 'plunge'

Pakistan moved from 34th last year to ninth in the new report - one of the sharpest changes in the overall score of any country on the list.

The contributing factors were Pakistan's inability to police the tribal areas near the Afghan border, the devastating earthquake last October in Kashmir and rising ethnic tensions, the report said.

Afghanistan, ranked 10th, faces different problems from Iraq, which despite the presence of US-led troops came fourth, the report said.

Educated exiled Afghans had been slow to go home following the ousting of the Taleban in 2001, but poor refugees had returned from Pakistan and Iran in large numbers, the study said.

"The result is a capital city busting at the seams but short of trained administrators."

The authors cite India as an example of a state which has pulled back from the brink, saying that in the 1970s analysts predicted dire consequences as a result of population growth, economic mismanagement, poverty and corruption.

Now, they say, India today has turned itself around and might have the edge over China (ranked 57) in the long run.

Pauline Baker, president of the Fund for Peace, told the Associated Press news agency that India had greater social mobility and was more decentralised than its more populous neighbour.

REFRENCE

http//news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4964934.stm

http//www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2396&whichpage=10

We have already discussed this on this forum.
AOA

thansk for ur kind information....[)]
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Humaira</i>
<br />AOA

thansk for ur kind information....[)]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Does this mean that you are actually going on to read it ? please dot that.

We are not as bad as these countries, its a joke and people like you think of it some thing 'authentic' and then go on to publish it on an on spreading it on. I know what I believe but I am really worried about the youth of this country, so I would suggest all reading this forum to please follow up the link as well.

http//www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2396&whichpage=10
Why is it that you have not come up with one positive thing to discuss then ? or you some one who likes to stir up things just to be in the lime light. Fine with your discussions I am all up for it, but wouldn't hurt you to get familiar with the forum and may be post stuff only if its not on here already ! what do you day ?
thanks.....for ur sweet advise...[)]
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Humaira</i>
<br />thanks.....for ur sweet advise...[)]

Have you read it and do you agree or disagree, it would be 'education' for you if you also read other people's point of view ...
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pracs</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Humaira</i>
<br />thanks.....for ur sweet advise...[)]

Have you read it and do you agree or disagree, it would be 'education' for you if you also read other people's point of view ...

iss main emotional honay ki kiya baat hai[D] ....post to good likh ker bhi barhai ja sakti thi...[)]
Humaira,

I think I am not going to interact with you on any topic hence forth, you are just here to have fun,, which I think you are doing very well. All you have are a few lines that you are throwing around without thinking. I hope this is not the state of affairs of our Youth today !

On the point of number of posts, I don't as much think I care about your opinion on that. I know what my posts are and what they mean to people on the forum and myself as well. I am here to learn, educate, discuss and hear what other people have to say.

Good day Ma'am
parace i feel app koh sirf FORUM mah HEAD MASTER baney ka shoq hai ,,,,,,,,,, sub ka pechey paray hohey hai app tu lol
i think this is not true,Pracs is nt only the 1st one to make 1000 post here and has alwasy made constructive contributions on almost every topic...... i some time even feels that how could he came to know all these information sharing wth us
so Regards for PRacs <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by accountant1</i>
<br />parace i feel app koh sirf FORUM mah HEAD MASTER baney ka shoq hai ,,,,,,,,,, sub ka pechey paray hohey hai app tu lol

Bitter Truth but true .

Better digest it PRACY.
i think we r here to learn and to educate and tht's what Pracs is doing very well so far as all his posts show.. this "Vulnerable States" thingy posted by Humaira has already been debated upon in detail on the same forum..so,if a topic has already been discussed why to repeat it?why not to come up with something new ,that can add to others' knowledge?

Regards)
humaira, do you live in pakistan. its not really like the report here.
there may be tension in the tribal areas & earthquake in the north but thats only a part of pakistan, eberywhere else is going really very nice. its just like hurricane qutrina in new orleans but newyork is the same, modern, exotic , cool, rich.

i offer you to visit pakistan, karachi, islamabad, lahore. its modern.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by accountant1</i>
<br />parace i feel app koh sirf FORUM mah HEAD MASTER baney ka shoq hai ,,,,,,,,,, sub ka pechey paray hohey hai app tu lol

Its Pracs, and not Parace... I think I am more than a Head Master, you take care before I send you home with a note )
Pages: 1 2