Accountancy Forum

Full Version: Managing People
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
AOA
I request all of you to please share your ideas about managing work force diversity with special reference to the concept of "Generation Gap". Does generation gap create communication gaps? If yes, then how to reduce the effects of this? I have three assistants working under me, all of them are of more than 55 years.

Now, i find it difficult to work/communicate with them. You people are encouraged to give your ideas on this issue, and suggest measures to reduce the effects of this genration gap as i feel it the first hindrence in acheiving my organizatinal objectives

Regards
<b>In your situation I think (as they always answer "you are just a kid") there could me many reasons behind this;</b>
- You deal with them too formally
- You want to impose your ideas on them
- You don’t use the proper techniques of getting feedback
- etc

<b>I think the solution of this situation would be;</b>
- Try to develop a little informal relationship between you and them
- Ask them as if they are more experienced (just pretend that they know better than you)
- Listen to them and let them talk
- Avoid arguments
- Don’t let them know what you have decided
i.e. If they think option A is proper and you think option B is then don’t impose your idea on them and after knowing their ideas do what you have decided.

The situation also discloses that they think in old ways and want to handle things in such way too but you want to work in modern ways. This shows that the whole culture is influenced by those old ppl. If you are in a better position try to prove them the advantages of what you think is better but don’t just impose your ideas as it wont work.

You should better adopt the Islamic way of communication. Communicate with one according to his age. It will make them respect you and ultimately they will listen you and will think about that.

Moreover try to spend time like lunch break etc with them in more informal and relaxed environment and discuss general issues in general way.

Frequently consult with you manager and T&D manager about the situation. And although this may be out of your authority/control but I would like to tell that more of any thing else, your department needs proper training & development. It seems that those ppl have long been untouched with training of any kind so their ideas are now like their ages (old).

I HOPE IT WILL HELP YOU
SHAHID LATIF
Dear shahid
Yes, these people have long been untouched with the training!!!!!
Wt will be your respnse if i let u know that i work in a Federal Govt Organization (PUblic Sector)? and let me also tell you that my working style is so much informal as it could be and all of the technique sugestted above r being used by me but results are nt as they could b............
Regards
i would say bechay bhool jayo ,, baba jiss nahi saunay gay ,, n specially in govt orginastions wwhere the business culture supports 'NO CHANGE'.

pppl older than us bellive though r mostly correct in doing so, tht we r not as experinced as them .. to make a point we hv to prove our worth to them , contribute all u can n than patiently wait for acceptance.

implementing changes has neva been easy.

acha one thing suggest new ideas but make them belief as if its there idea ,,, they shall be plesaed with the thought [Wink]
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Muhammad Ahmad</i>
<br />Dear shahid
Yes, these people have long been untouched with the training!!!!!
Wt will be your respnse if i let u know that i work in a Federal Govt Organization (PUblic Sector)? and let me also tell you that my working style is so much informal as it could be and all of the technique sugestted above r being used by me but results are nt as they could b............
Regards
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Well "Govt org" changes the situation;
[The only method to resolve such problem in Pakistan, and probably the most successful one, is “GOLDEN SHAKE HAND” or do I say “KICK SHAKE” but if it was a private company there could be various other solution like <b>introduction of some motivational schemes</b> and <b>converting to a learning type of culture to remove the generation gap, if not age than at least mental level</b>.]

<b>It seems that "ghee seedhi ungli sey naheen nikalney wala". We have to think about it negatively.</b>

In situation like this ppl like you (having better ideas and being superior) don’t trust others any more. As a result they try to do all of the work by themselves (is not that true). So here comes the negative solution <b>(the delegation techneques).</b>

Try to avoid as much work as you can;
- Put all work burden on others
- Always act as "saas" considering others as "bahoo" (means tell them to do work quickly more efficiently and find mistakes in their work etc)
- Keep only risky work with yourself and enjoy life

This technique will surely work; as soon as the work load increases they will consult you. Try to guide them and offer your support too (say “ok let me do the rest of work”. why not since you where already doing this work). In this way they will take your advices and surely to reduce the work load they will value you.

I don’t ask you to leave above methods and other if you are using some but add this too. Only leave those which are in conflict with this one.
Yes!!
You got the right one now and so did i.but Golden shake hand was nt the proper technique as to me it require policy chang by the organization but i have to manage work with in my resources i.e.,3 old fellows at work place,as the head of the Deptt refused to provide alternate .
yes!!!ther thing for Sahar_M , is that the process of change in govt deptt is so slow that the TIME FACTOR cause a huge change in the Knowledge , Working style, attitude of chang MAKER also,and in the end the results are "one feels himself the part if the environment AND started thinking like others in the Deptt." AND THE CHANGE BECOMES MEANINGLESS..