Accountancy Forum

Full Version: I/C Inventory Control - A./P Acct. Payables
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I need a few questions answere regarding receiving inventory items and non-inventory items from a P.O.

Currently, Receiving receives the item, marks it on the packing slip and brings it to me. When the invoice comes in, I match it to the pkg slip, receive the item on the P.O. ( and currently change the dollar amount of the P.O. to match my invoice.) If the item is an inventory item the dollar amount goes into a holding account. Then when I post the invoice the dollar amount will also go to the holding account to zero it out.

We have hired a purchasing agent who will now receive the item from the P.O. After it's received whe will then give me the pkg slip, so that I can match it to the invoice, and then post the invoice.

Is this the proper procedure to go by? Because I have a hard enough time keeping the holding account zero. When the Purchasing agent receives the item, how will she know if the dollar amount is correct?

Is it standard practice that receiving, receives the item then gives it to the purchasing agent to receive it in our accounting program?

Maybe some one out there has knowledge of how this is sappose to work, and will let me know.

Thank you,
lostdogfound