Accountancy Forum

Full Version: Development of our Postal System
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As our economy is booming and we now stand in the line of financially developed countries, by the speed with which we are developing Clifton by destroying its natural beauty very soon our country will become a Hong Kong if not better than that. If Sheikh Rashid remained for next a year as Railway Minister we will have bullet train much quicker than Japan though we may not repair the damaged small bridge in a year. Likewise our post office service also is increasing day by day.

On Karachi Saddar Post Office letter boxes there are three Mail clearance times i.e. 0930, 1500 and 2030 hrs. Pakistan Post Office opens at 0900 hrs. So it means 2030 hrs mail clearance would have practical action next day with 0930 collection. Till a few years back when we had not 12 billions reserves, we were not fast developing country as an example for the world, on the three mail boxes on this post office there used to be 6-8 collection timings inscribed.

It was mid 1970s. Then we had not entered into the list of most respected nations neither had we installed computers in our offices or post offices nor had we Urgent Mail Service or local aierx type services. At about 11.00 am I dropped a letter in same Karachi Saddar Post Office letter box for delivery to a company at Nishtar Road. The inland rate for postage at that time as far as I remember was 40 paisa. At about 1600 hrs I got a phone call from the company concerned that they had received my letter.

Pakistan Post Office on cost of existing services of the time, keep on enhancing the scope of services just as a slogan purposes. At high cost it introduced public fax service in Post Offices. Today in most of the Post Offices this fax service has disappeared. With much fanfare and with loud claims it at high expense it established internet cafes at G.P.Os computers from which since years appear to have found way to home. There is now slogan by the DG of Department buying its own planes for speedy delivery of mail. I am sure soon after purchase we the citizens will find these planes having disappeared from GPOs grounds and some families flying from Defence Society to Superhighway luxury entertainment places.