Accountancy Forum

Full Version: UNAUTHORISED SALE OF GOVERNMENT LAND - PEOPLE BE
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sunday 12 February evening ARY One World was telecasing the coverage of concerned Sindh Minister to Gadap Area Karachi. The Minister was, as today’s ministers do, was raising tall claims on doing this, or eliminating this and taking action on this and that. The Minister was telling and the camera was covering how thousands and thousands acres of Revenue Land was occupied by Mafia in shape of shanty houses, Farms and cooperative societies. The Minister told there were 33 bogus cooperative societies who put the Singh Boards on Revenue Department land and sold it to public. He was telling that land to a cooperative society is given ef if it is to allot it to ite members of same community. The Minister said these cooperative societies sold the land without any title to the general public. On his directive the camera was turned to highly costly huge construction which according to the Minister was made illegally on 30 years lease land. He was telling how his government was keen to eliminate these evils, return the land to the government, take action against who sold this land etc.

However the Minister failed to say even a single word and most regrettably the private channel Compare too who took hours walking with the Minister did not dare to raise the million dollars question. Namely, when eg these bogus cooperative societies were through repeated press advertisements asking the general public to purchase plots why the Registrar and Dy. Registrar of cooperative societies remained tight lips? Why he at the same time did not come up for the rescue of the people rather than waiting till faces behind such socities get enough monies. Garden East was the most beautiful area of Karachi with single or double storey villas. I saw almost once a week gradually high rise buildings coming up there. If someone did not see all these years was the only one namely Karachi Building Cnntrol Authority. Recently Lahore Development Authority has warned public not to buy plots from a housing scheme only when people many years back purchased plots and many constructed kutcha houses. In 1993 a society through press advertisements quoting an official permission reference sold plots near Islamabad but the Rawalpindi Development Authority only wanred the public after 7 years in 2000 that it has not given permission to the company. Right from Punjab Ombudsman to NAB no one is interested to give an answer as to why Rawalpindi Development Authority remained for 7 long years silent.

I am sure since elections are coming near this land now is needed to be got vacated to be “sold” to some other dear ones. An ordinary honest man can neither make a posh costly construction illegally on a piece of land say got leased for poultry farm nor a person who has no link inside the Revenue Department, Cooperative Department and other such places can even think of making a bogus cooperative society let alone sell the plots.

Whether it is peoples Government of Benazir,or it is the “democracy lover” Nawaz Sharif or may it be high respected in the world the Government of General Musharraf, the ultimate sufferer would be those who believing that since authorities like Registrar had not immediately warned them purchased these plots, no government will dare to raise any question to the Registrar. These governments know well they are only strong till these bureaucrats give them strength. Ghulam Hyder Wayne raised the slogan that those bureaucrats do not work properly he would pull down their trousers. With days the non working babus sent Wyne home throwing down the crown from his head.

People who have saved some money should now be ready for another suffering under some new label, 10 years after to know they had been lotted.

I belonged to a small town when I shifted to Karachi in 1971. Life was simple, Karachi was very peaceful city. TV used to be from 05.00 pm to 10.30 pm. Since childhood I had no experience of “Rishwat”. The only thing from my childhood I knew from my home town was that when a policeman challans you for riding a cycle by two people or riding without light, give him Re. 2 and he would not challan you. My introduction practically to “Rishwat” was mid 1970s in Karachi and that was in the Office of Dy. Registrar Cooperative Societies for a very genuine work which even in my this old age I do remember and can confirm on solemn oath. .