Accountancy Forum

Full Version: The honest West!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We have a very well earned reputation of being corrupt and dishonest, and we should agree that we are. Being second to Nigeria in most corrupt nations list once.

But the Western Nations who are considered honest and fair. I am referring to PIA scandal, you people may be aware of. A couple of months back a ban was imposed by European Union on PIA's aircrafts that they could not fly in its territories, the reason being they do not meet the safety criteria. I think our national airline being banned like that was very shameful for us as a nation. Not very much in this regard I found in media. Two days back three Pakistanis were accused of having a commission of $ 10.5 million in a deal for purchasing three aircrafts from Cathy Pacific. The objections were that these aircraft had completed their 22-year life span of flight. I don't know what to call this!!!. The case of these three man is referred to NAB, may be they are acquitted after the trial, and the purpose of this is to find scapegoats to pacify the situation for the time being. An example of such acquittal was made at the time of a former admiral's case.

Were only these three people were involved in this scam? Was everyone else blind? Don't we have any competent technical staff to point such things out? Or may be this was known to many and a whole lot of officials were involved. I think if later is the case, its more justifiable as corruption is nothing new for us. And, stupidity and idiocy are the biggest sins. Being made a fool like that is matter of embarrassment for us. Time will unleash some more fact and details.

Coming to Cathy Pacific, an eminent airline of US-the ambassador of honesty, public safety and professionalism. The should be sued for this fraud and the case should be highlighted by our media (if it gets time from defaming the establishment). I have not yet seen very much hue and cry in media in this matter, may be they are pre-occupied by some other commitments.

May Allah guide us.

Shoaib
Schuaeb,

Just wanted to point here, Cathey Pacific has never been a US airline, its owned by a Hong kong based company. However, having said that,, the honesty of the West is not all that credible as well. What they do have a whole lot of systems and checks and balancese, no one is above the law per se,. although society and at times the judicial system does turn an eye if they think that their is going to be no negative effect on their society.

In our countries ofcourse its the other way around, it is about time that we get off the 'deals' and NAB and all that,, these people should be tried in criminal courts and put in Jails. I understand half a dozen or more people being sentenced like wise are going to die of harsh conditions in jails or other medical conditions,, but that should be an eye opener for every one else. The way things have been handled by NAB,.. it gives the message that its OK to embezle say 500 million rupees, then if and when you get caught,, you can go scot free by parting a percentage of it to the NAB. How inappropriate is that ?
Thanks for the correction Pracs, I always considered it an American airline. Not very much sure what made me to form that opinion.

NAB has been used as a political weapon by the govt. Infact, a very successful political weapon. I have not much problems of one setting free by NAB on payment of some percent of the total embezzled amount (this percentage is often a huge amount). However, the way it operated creates the main doubt.

In my post I mainly didn't intend to point out NAB, but the scam involving Cathey Pacific. Our history is full of such blunders, and I'm not sure whether there is gonna be any end.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Schuaeb</i>
<br />Thanks for the correction Pracs, I always considered it an American airline. Not very much sure what made me to form that opinion.

NAB has been used as a political weapon by the govt. Infact, a very successful political weapon. I have not much problems of one setting free by NAB on payment of some percent of the total embezzled amount (this percentage is often a huge amount). However, the way it operated creates the main doubt.

In my post I mainly didn't intend to point out NAB, but the scam involving Cathey Pacific. Our history is full of such blunders, and I'm not sure whether there is gonna be any end.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Sorry Shuaeb...here I would agree with Pracs... there should be no room for deal making.. this gives these people another chance to rob us off.... and by the way.. we have enough money in our reserves that these so called plea bargains can hardly make any impact on our economy.. NONE WHATSOEVER..
NAB should put a full stop to plea bargain and punish these criminals who have been playing with our money for so long!!!