Accountancy Forum

Full Version: SEVEN v/s HALF FLIGHT
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
BY Javed – 19 September 2007

As in other fields of our national health, to keep PIA breathing high prime value PIA properties in USA are under processing of sale. It will give say a 6 or 8 months at the most an oxygen mask. Then the PIA management as usual will claim and which claim will repeatedly be telecast on TV that the PIA had come into profit. This will then as usual be labeled a sign of success of our policies. After a very few months thereafter the PIA once again would be telling the authorities it needs as to much minimum from national exchequer or by selling any other things to keep itself survived. Forgetting for centuries old our forefathers wisdom that a solid asset is an asset while the cash is cash to finish soon. But today the West and western education to our imported chaired persons have taught that net cash in your pocket for transacting with Europe is much more valuable.

For the last 5 days cash in hand I am trying to get my daughter booked for Karachi/Bahrain by Gulf Air but I am still on waiting list as flights are heavily booked for the next week. Gulf Air has a daily flight between Karachi/Bahrain which remain most of the time fully booked. PIA our national airline has only half flight a week for Karachi/Bahrain even on which except for ending summer holidays or immediately after Eids seats remain vacant. When I traveled a few months back I had thrice to visit Saddar PIA Office for confirmation only to heart I was still in waiting list. On fourth visit I had the luck in getting myself confirmed. When in flight in the huge body airbus there were only 17 passengers in the flight including myself. Do not be surprised on words “half flight”. It is a fact. There is only one single weekly flight 50% capacity of which is for passengers to Bahrain and 50% for passengers for another country Qatar. I wonder if our too much learned Dr. Sher Afghan can for a while think how amazing it is that one airline flies daily with full capacity while our's to the same destination half flight a week. At an average 70% passengers on this once a week flight (half capacity to Bahrain and half to Qatar) are low paid Bangaldeshi, Nepalies, Indian labour force working in Middle East who just for 10 kgs extra baggage which is a blessing for this poor cadre prefer traveling by PIA through Karachi onward links. Hardly 30% passengers are Pakistani in this flight of our own national carrier.

Please do not take that Gulf Air fares could be too cheap hence so much flow to it . No. Gulf Air ticket is costly than PIA even then. As despite always keep thinking we the citizen do not get any answer to a question as to the health of your kitchen is keep shrinking while the TV keeps telling us economy was boosting, likewise we need to think and keep thinking as to why people like me madly prefer costly foreign airline ticket leaving the cheap PIA one. If anyone could get the answer please also enlighten me.