Accountancy Forum

Full Version: MOBILE SIMS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
May 2007 I purchased a Mobilink pre-paid SIM from its Sales Office situated at University Road, Gulshan-e-Iqbal, Karachi. For getting it I had to fill up an application forum which was perhaps in triplicate or quadruplicate. After payment I was handed over a SIM packet only. I demanded a copy of Application Form which I signed as my agreeing to the terms & conditions covering the service. I was told all these copies were for the company. I insisted that legally and technically in that position I can not tomorrow claim that SIM was my own and that I had not stolen it unless I have a proof of payment or a copy of agreement. And this is not the story and delusion only. Last year in September I purchased a WARID SIM which unfortunately while changing dropped and got lost. When I reported this loss I got a shock when WARID told me the SIM was not registered in my name. I am still struggling without any result.

An educated lady subscribing immediately after me listening my argument too demanded but she also got the same response. Later when I demand it in writing the Mobilink informed me that this was given to me at the time of purchase and I should send them copy of my NIC and other documents. Why should I give them unnecessary an additional copy of NIC which is a risk. If SIM is registered in my name, the company can see my name and on official address in their record send me a copy or an attested copy.

As far Mobilink’s claim that a copy of agreement is invariably given to new subscriber, I spoke with my brothers, nephews, friends etc many of whom have Mobilink SIM. They saw my face as if I was a fool talking non sense. None of them have any realization about importance of having a document to show what for they paid money and the ownership. I addressed the so triumphed The Network consumer rights organization Islamabad of which I am a member on payment. It never cared to even give me a response. I approached Pakistan Telecommunication Authority the so called protector of subscriber’s right who as usual issued me an automated receipt never ever to follow. I have never been able to decide as to which one should I give number one to which one number two in the list of Top Lethargic public rights protection monitoring agencies from amongst Pakistan Telecommunication Authority and State Bank of Pakistan. I addressed on the issue of un-registered sale of SIMs to Mr. Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Choudhary who appears to has taken some sort of initial note in July this year but unfortunately he has gone now.