Accountancy Forum

Full Version: Some ahadith from Sunan Abu Dawud regarding prayer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Some ahadith from Sunan Abu Dawud regarding prayer

Prayer (Kitab Al-Salat)

Dawud Book 2 Hadith 393
Narrated Abdullah Ibn Abbas
The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) said Gabriel (peace_be_upon_him) led me in prayer at the House (i.e. the Ka'bah). He prayed the noon prayer with me when the sun had passed the meridian to the extent of the thong of a sandal; he prayed the afternoon prayer with me when the shadow of everything was as long as itself; he prayed the sunset prayer with me when one who is fasting breaks the fast; he prayed the night prayer with me when the twilight had ended; and he prayed the dawn prayer with me when food and drink become forbidden to one who is keeping the fast.
On the following day he prayed the noon prayer with me when his shadow was as long as himself; he prayed the afternoon prayer with me when his shadow was twice as long as himself; he prayed the sunset prayer at the time when one who is fasting breaks the fast; he prayed the night prayer with me when about the third of the night had passed; and he prayed the dawn prayer with me when there was a fair amount of light.
Then turning to me he said Muhammad, this is the time observed by the prophets before you, and the time is anywhere between two times.
Prayer (Kitab Al-Salat) Details of Commencing Prayer
Dawud Book 3 Hadith 725
Narrated Wa'il ibn Hujr
I purposely looked at the prayer of the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him), how he offered it. The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) stood up, faced the direction of the qiblah and uttered the takbir (Allah is most great) and then raised his hands in front of his ears, then placed his right hand on his left (catching each other).
When he was about to bow, he raised them in the same manner. He then placed his hands on his knees. When he raised his head after bowing, he raised them in the like manner. When he prostrated himself he placed his forehead between his hands.
He then sat down and spread his left foot and placed his left hand on his left thigh, and kept his right elbow aloof from his right thigh. He closed his two fingers and made a circle (with the fingers).
I (Asim ibn Kulayb) saw him (Bishr ibn al-Mufaddal) say in this manner. Bishr made the circle with the thumb and the middle finger and pointed with the forefinger.

Dawud Book 3 Hadith 737
Narrated AbuHurayrah
When the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) uttered the takbir (Allah is most great) for prayer (in the beginning), he raised his hands opposite to his shoulders; and when he bowed, he did like that; and when he raised his head to prostrate, he did like that; and when he got up at the end of two rak'ahs, he did like that.

Dawud Book 3 Hadith 738
Narrated Abdullah ibn Abbas
Maymun al-Makki said that he saw Abdullah ibn az-Zubayr leading in prayer. He pointed with his hands (i.e. raised his hands opposite to the shoulders) when he stood up, when he bowed and when he prostrated, and when he got up after prostration, he pointed with his hands (i.e. raised his hands).
The I went to Ibn Abbas and said (to him) I saw Ibn az-Zubayr praying that I never saw anyone praying. I then told him about the pointing with his hands (raising his hands). He said If you like to see the prayer of the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) follower the prayer as offered by Abdullah ibn az-Zubayr.

Dawud Book 3 Hadith 739
Narrated Abdullah ibn Abbas
Nadr ibn Kathir as-Sa'di said Abdullah ibn Tawus prayed at my side in the mosque of al-Khayf. When he made the first prostration, he raised his head after it and raised his hands opposite to his face. This came as something strange for me. I, therefore, said it to Wuhayb ibn Khalid.
Then Wuhayb ibn Khalid said to him You are doing a thing that I did not see anyone do. Ibn Tawus then replied I saw my father doing it, and my father said I saw Ibn Abbas doing it. I do not know but he said The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) used to do it.

Dawud Book 3 Hadith 743
Narrated Ali ibn AbuTalib
When the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) stood for offering the obligatory prayer, he uttered the takbir (Allah is most great) and raised his hands opposite to his shoulders; and he did like that when he finished recitation (of the Qur'an) and was about to bow; and he did like that when he rose after bowing; and he did not raise his hands in his prayer while he was in his sitting position.
When he stood up from his prostrations (at the end of two rak'ahs), he raised his hands likewise and uttered the takbir (Allah is most great) and raised his hands so as to bring them up to his shoulders, as he uttered the takbir in the beginning of the prayer.

Dawud Book 3 Hadith 754
Narrated Abdullah ibn Mas'ud
AbuUthman an-Nahdi said When Ibn Mas'ud prayed he placed his left hand on the right. The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) saw him and placed his right hand on his left one.

Dawud Book 3 Hadith 756
Narrated Ali ibn AbuTalib
Jarir ad-Dabbi reported I saw Ali (Allah be pleased with him) catching hold of his left hand) by his right hand on the wrist above the navel.

Dawud Book 3 Hadith 758
Narrated Tawus
The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) used to place his right hand on his left hand, then he folded them strictly on his chest in prayer.

Dawud Book 3 Hadith 778
Narrated Samurah ibn Jundub; Ubayy ibn Ka'b
Samurah ibn Jundub and Imran ibn Husayn had a discussion (about the periods of silence in prayer). Samurah then said that he remembered two periods of silence from the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him); one when he uttered the takbir and the other when he finished reciting "Not of those with whom Thou art angry, nor of those who go astray" (i.7).
Samurah remembered that, but Imran ibn Husayn rejected it.
Then they wrote about it to Ubayy ibn Ka'b. He wrote a letter to them and gave a reply to them that Samurah remembered correctly.

Dawud Book 3 Hadith 822
Narrated Ubadah ibn as-Samit
We were behind the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) at the dawn prayer, and he recited (the passage), but the recitation became difficult for him. Then when he finished, he said Perhaps you recite behind your imam? We replied Yes, it is so, Apostle of Allah. He said Do not do so except when it is Fatihat al-Kitab, for he who does not recite it is not credited with having prayed.
Dawud Book 3 Hadith 863
Narrated AbuHurayrah
Anas ibn Hakim ad-Dabbi said that he feared Ziyad or Ibn Ziyad; so he came to Medina and met AbuHurayrah. He attributed his lineage to me and I became a member of his lineage.
AbuHurayrah said (to me) O youth, should I not narrate a tradition to you? I said Why not, may Allah have mercy on you?
(Yunus (a narrator) said I think he narrated it (the tradition) from the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him)) The first thing about which the people will be called to account out of their actions on the Day of Judgment is prayer. Our Lord, the Exalted, will say to the angels - though He knows better Look into the prayer of My servant and see whether he has offered it perfectly or imperfectly. If it is perfect, that will be recorded perfect.
If it is defective, He will say See there are some optional prayers offered by My servant. If there are optional prayer to his credit, He will say Compensate the obligatory prayer by the optional prayer for My servant. Then all the actions will be considered similarly.

Dawud Book 3 Hadith 887
Narrated Anas ibn Malik
I did not offer behind anyone after the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) a prayer like the prayer offered by the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) than this youth, i.e. Umar ibn AbdulAziz. We estimated reciting glorification ten times in his bowing, and in his prostration ten times.