Accountancy Forum

Full Version: Y refrence???what criteria should be followed???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

hey guys!

u know i m in the process of looking and applying for firms. Well i know i m not competent enough to dream of top three firms since i m passing my foundation in installments.........but still i cant help dreaming abt it.
welll can anyone tell me why is refrence necessary to get into a top firm??? i heard alot abt this ,that without refrence its obviously very difficult to get a top firm. Y so???? if they r ranked top firms then y dont they specify some fixed criteria for selecting students.
waisay this refrence thing is gud for students like me who cant qualify in first attempt , but frankly speaking i m not at all in this favour even though its the only way for me to get into a top firm.
I wonder whats the useof the test , these firms take.????i guess thats just a way to keep a student hoping and dreaming....
welll this thing is really getting depressing for me. How can i have a refrence in a place i dont have any relatives , i dont know anyone.if i m unable to find a suitable place to stay, how can i have someone who can refer me???? and i m really getting dissapointed with this situation..........
IF theses firms are being ranked 1st ,2nd , third, why dont they specify some specific requiremnets????
i mean if multi attempts are not considered, then y dont they specify straight away, atleast we wont keep dreaming and wasting our time.
These firms should specify critera starightaway, whatever it is????instead of putting students to the painful process of appearing for test and then continous waiting...............
What do u think???? and what do u think should be criteria for selecting students

<b></b><font face='Comic Sans MS'></font id='Comic Sans MS'><font color=purple></font id=purple>

Well ethically speaking....you are right.....

But the sad truth is that in top firms, the decision to recruit a student is more of a Business decision then an Ethical one. There is a restriction on the number of students a partner can train at a time. (i think its 20 for a practicing FCA and 10 for ACA).....so the number of students intake is limited and almost everyone uses some reference.

I have seen hundreds of applications for 10 training positions at my firm. And almost everyone was foundation qualified and with one reference or the other. So the decision to whom to oblige is rather a Commercial decision.

A test only acts as a filter to narrow down the number......of whom usually the partner chooses the students with references from whom the firm can have more business or some client can be obliged. So no matter you act well in firm's test or not, or you passed modules in nth attempts.....if the firm wants to oblige your reference, they will take you and vice versa........ but there are exceptions as well....

As always....the world doesnt ends with the big three

Edited by - bowman on Dec 15 2003 40247 PM
Try your best and leave else upon God ......but since God is more competent than us so it is better to leave all upon God

imran
Assalamu Alikum
well referrence is not a bad thing these are remarks of reputed professional person about your past performance and these remarks can be +ve or -ve. so it is one of the part of recruitment but we all beleive in "SUBSTANCE OVER FORM" what i said was just form, and substance is what u said. Here referrence reffers to SIFARISH. u dont want to use referrence, nice thinking, go ahead! all u need is confidence in urself and courage to face the facts.
but i think all firms dont use this criteria very strictly i myself is a student in a firm ranking in top 5 and i never used a referrence and i also know some of my freinds joining firms like Fergusons without referrence on the basis of tests and interviews.
so u may try ur own abilities.
Best of luck
regards
Zeeshan Adil

<font face='Verdana'></font id='Verdana'><font size=4></font id=size4><font color=green></font id=green>Hi Nadia,
You know u live in pakistan and srtill ask this question.u know there are some firms who do not demand reference go there i m sure u will succeed but if u are passing ur fd in installments u look not interested,
Good luck
Zeeshan,
www.geocities.com/sgg1983

Zeeshan Zulifqar(ICMAp)