Accountancy Forum

Full Version: ACCESS TO OR DISTANCE FROM JUSTICE?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A few months back there on a TV talk show it was revealing how much from the sources like Asian Development Bank etc came or was taken in the name of promoting justice system but on which Heads the most of that amount was being spent. The practical side of it one may agree with me or not, the fact is already existing justice slowly is going distant from the common man. At least it is my experience. For example before I was able to file a complaint against PIA with Federal Ombudsman which right has now been snatched from me. Earlier I was able to file a complaint against CAA. Now the rulers not tired of each day promising free justice at my door step and despite spending on access to justice have closed the door on me. The national expense on so called justice is ever increasing but access to it at the same speed is going away. Federal Ombudsman used to hear complaints and appreciably deliver justice in complaints against electricity, banking, income tax. Now this power has been taken from him creating separate ombudsmen like banking ombudsman, tax ombudsman. Almost half the job load thus of federal Ombudsman got cut but staff and expense of the Federal Ombudsman remained the same. Banking Ombudsman was established on huge recurring expense but now over it a new consumer banking complaint cell has been created. And Etc. The other day just by surfing the net I came across a site, at least new to me namely “Access to Justice Programme”. Reading about its new project “Development of website for Ombudsman Sindh” I could not stop my abrupt laugher. The “Objectives” as outlined on the web for this project read “to improve smooth and effective functioningof Sindh Ombudsman. The web site will bridge the gap between the Ombudsman Sindh and the general public by providing necessary information via internet – an effective redress mechanism to lodge their complaints (via internet?) and receive feedback”.

Every pride national asset is being sold in the name of privatization on the premise that it will bring efficiency. Our then i. tech minister talking with US Ambassador in Pakistan very proudly said that through web online Pakistan will stand in line with developed countries and this computerization will also change the working of the functionaries. Does any technology ever brings any change while the “man” operating that technology remains the same. The colour of Express trains was changed during Benazir tenure. On inauguration when new coloured Tezgam Express was leaving a question at Karachi Cantt Railway Station the railway minister replied that this colour change will prompt the free travelers now to buy tickets. There is no record if free travelers started buying tickets or not but it is on the government record that NWFP paint factory of the real brother of said railway minister got bulk paint supply orders. We keep spending on such ventures just in the name of reforms, better public service but the fact is the more interest though not on record always is to place orders on some specified suppliers and creates vacancies for some dear ones. Otherwise what substantial effect so far introduction of this mad web system in government offices has left as far as efficiency is concerned. Do these webs provide updated information or give timely response. The web site of a Federal Ministry for the last one year is totally empty at its link “News Updates”. The then Punjab Ombudsman on expiry of his tenure left for home. The new one took charge but for about one and half year Punjab Ombudsman website was showing name of having retired ombudsman. Then in the name of more better service a new web was made. Two separate webs at a time for about two months showed names of two different names as Punjab Ombudsman. The new web site was launched. This new inauguration was widely propagated in the print and electronic media. After about one month of this inauguration the new web site still under the heading News was showing “web site will soon be inaugurated”. This was only corrected when I pointed it out. Federal Ombudsman office printed its wrong contact email on its official letter head. Emails being sent were coming back. Without indicating the name of any particular office I enquired if any Government office gives its wrong contact information can a complaint against it be filed. On receiving confirmation, I filed the formal complaint that the officer who “approved” the letter head to the printer be held response and for this act of mal administration full cost of printing letter heads be recovered from personal pocket of all concerned. But since as a nation we are allergic to home accountability, my complaint was not registered but I was jus informed it was a mistake. PTCL issued a demand note but refused to install telephone. The ombudsman termed it as an act of mal administration and directed installation of phone with his observation that consequences of mistake should be born by PTCL itself. The senior intellectual Irshad Ahmed Haqqai in his column once in a meaningful way stated the other nations had used email system to solve public problems and respond back in minutes while in our case we have “worsened the shape of even this system”. Sindh Governor has a online complaint cell. During last three years I am following repeatedly my complaint filed but no response. About 10 email contacts given on Governor house do not work. I do not remember if from Punjab Ombudsman ever I got any response by emails. Sindh ombudsman was provided email facility of course with costly computers. In one complaint I do not remember during last 2-3 years how many times I have sent reminders through its email to know progress but not a single response. The Access to Justice project says Sindh Ombudsman web site is being established to facilitate complaint through emails. Two years back on huge expense and in a high rent building a banking mohtasib was established. As usual it has on much cost, as is fashion today, a web site but would one believe no complaint through email can be filed with the banking mohtasib. This was the reason of my big laughter. And I laughed because today having crossed 60s I have got a little practical maturity.