Accountancy Forum

Full Version: WEIGHT IN TODAY's GOVERNMENTS WORDS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The other day Hussain Nawaz son of heaviest mandated and so-called democracy lover ex Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on TV on a question re voting rights to Overseas Pakistanis stated that this is a legitimate right and the PLM(N) will struggle for this right. These rulers and would-be-rulers their kids still in this media age think the memory of the common man was short. Every government yelled promising right of vote to Overseas Pakistanis (OPs) but practically did not allow. Only once this right was given by General Musharraf but for his Referendum as he badly needed this. It was generally believed that if the OPs having seen good governance abroad ever came in the power the things will become better in the country. This hope too dashed if one honestly sees Senator Tariq Azeem who is a senior OP. Once on a question why every ruling party denied voting rights, the spokesman stated that the vote of OPs may cause harm to the country since these OPs were influenced by the foreign media. If the media can influence then the question is how then 30-40 years the sole PTV could not make whole Pakistani nation a Q-leaguee?

If one listens on TV now a days the small or big leaders of all parties talking about formation of new Government, even an ordinary reader can see how each of them is a big “Munafiq”. It is not restricted merely to PML-Q. The same shameful statements one hears from PML-N, PPP, MQM etc. For example from PML-Q today each and every MNA says he spoke loudly in the cabinet against mis-handling judiciary etc.

Each and every government of the time since 1971 has raised slogans for the welfare of Overseas Pakistanis (OPs) but except for keep raising the personal baggage limit for some obvious interest practically did nothing. The biggest ever slogan in this regard was raised by Nawaz Sharif in 1996-1997. He boosted in so much that he even offered OPs to run Pakistani Embassies. He held the so called Overseas Pakistanis Convention in 1997 in Islamabad. His exact words were whether the Overseas Pakistanis hold Pakistani passports or have adopted foreign nationalities they are all Pakistanis and our family members. He added since these Pakistani origins are at par with their brethren in Pakistan, hence they can come any time to their homes (Pakistan), purchase any thing. If people do not have short memories, they would remember it was the same Nawaz Sharif who immediately after these words introduced a separate Pakistan Origin Card for Pakistanis holding foreign nationality. The cost of this Card was very high (perhaps US$ 500 if my memories are not misguiding me) to be renewed yearly or two yearly. He introduced separate ID Cards for Overseas Pakistanis for no reason at all. This was the first occasion in Pakistan history that our Ministry of Foreign Affairs the very first time and the only time in the history rose up officially to protest over introducing this scheme. The Overseas Pakistanis Foundation established wholly on money of we the Pakistanis, as ever, did not “protest” or resist this unnecessary heavy “tax” on its shareholder owners (members). The senior writers termed this scheme as money minting scheme. The senior economist S. Ahmed termed this a scheme to pickpocket the Ops. It was only Zafaru Ullah Khan Jamali who during his middle east tour seeing the frustrations of OPs reduced the fee of this Pakistan Origin Card. This was the practical side of welfare love of Nawaz Sharif for the OPs.

The Pakistan Origin Card (POC) was introduced on the domain that holder of this card will be treated at par with his brethren local Pakistanis and in all respect he would be a Pakistani for eg his bank account, shares, property, investment etc. Raising such slogans is something different from implementing those slogans.

When this POC was introduced I raised a very logical question to the Overseas Pakistanis Foundation that were POC holders really at par Pakistanis? I quoted some specific questions on some points. For example one was that as a Pakistani national suppose I had shares of ABC Limited. The company as is usual offers me Right Shares which I decide to subscribe. There is a clause in the Right Shares Subscription Form under which I declare “I am a Pakistani national holding Passport No. work permit so and so”. But in fact by now I hold US or Canadian nationality. I questioned can I still sign as “I declare that I am a Pakistani national” which in legal term is wrong. The Overseas Pakistanis Foundation which has at least to my knowledge so far never ever done even a remotest thing beneficial collectively for OPs at large and where there sits merely a large army of postmasters, instead of reading the question seriously and taking up to higher level just sent it to its subordinate Karachi Office saying “attached herewith is a complaint received from Muhammad Javed for your necessary action under reply to us”. What a non sense. The point raised was a policy matter answer to which was known only at higher level hence needed to be dealt with by MD OPF himself but it was forwarded to a junior Regional Manager level. As was expected that since OPF MD had just in a postman way not caring even to know the sensitivity or importance of the question, the junior level regional manager too forwarded it to Karachi Stock Exchange. The reply from KSE to OPF was really what from a serious commercial oriented organization is expected. The KSE replied that the citizen has raised a very important and meaningful question hence OPF may find proper legal answer to it and KSE may also be apprised of that. After this as is usual OPF never moved any further because the army recruited therein has practically no interest in matters like this except for those on which it may kill the time acting as a post office or of course in dubious housing scheme.

Amongst others, another very important point I raised was that can a Pakistani origin having obtained a foreign nationality say of Saudia, on the basis of his POC purchase property in Pakistan and what about his already existing property. The answer from the Ministry of the Interior as far as my memories are concerned was that under the law such a person would first need a permission from the competent authority. Unfortunately this record a fortnight back I lost as my neighbour house got fully in fire which also engulfed my house damaging half of my assets and most my record. These and similar legal aspects I raised needed serious attention and answer but no one could give me definite answers. Even OPF did not give me a definite answer if a POC holder can apply for a plot in its own schemes.

Last week an old colleague of mine met me who worked with me abroad. He has got foreign nationality and holds a POC on basis of which he invested a big amount in Behbood Certificates with National Savings. Last month, according to him, he received a communication from officer incharge of National Saving Center concerned that the Auditors have objected that only Pakistani nationals can invest in the scheme. The Centre has asked the account holder to immediately come to Pakistan to withdraw his investment as no further profit will be paid to him.