Accountancy Forum

Full Version: WHY ARE MUSLIMS DIVIDED INTO SECTS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
<font size="4"><font face="Trebuchet MS">Most Common Questions asked by Non-Muslims

WHY ARE MUSLIMS DIVIDED INTO SECTS / DIFFERENT SCHOOLS OF THOUGHT?

Question

When all the Muslim follow one and the same Qur’an then why are there so many sects and different schools of thoughts among Muslims?

Answer

1. Muslims Should be United

It is a fact that Muslims today, are divided amongst themselves. The tragedy is that such divisions are not endorsed by Islam at all. Islam believes in fostering unity amongst its followers.

The Glorious Qur’an says

"And hold fast,
All together, by the rope
Which Allah (stretches out for you),
and be not divided among yourselves;"
[Al-Qur’an 3103]

Which is the rope of Allah that is being referred to in this verse? It is the Glorious Qur’an. The Glorious Qur’an is the rope of Allah which all Muslims should hold fast together. There is double emphasis in this verse. Besides saying ‘hold fast all together’ it also says, ‘be not divided’.

Qur’an further says,

"Obey Allah, and obey the Messenger"
[Al-Qur’an 459]

All the Muslim should follow the Qur’an and authentic Ahadith and be not divided among themselves.

2. It is Prohibited to make sects and divisions in Islam

The Glorious Qur’an says

"As for those who divide
Their religion and break up
Into sects, thou hast
No part in them in the least
Their affair is with Allah
He will in the end
Tell them the truth
Of all that they did."
[Al-Qur’an 6159]

In this verse Allah (swt) says that one should disassociate oneself from those who divide their religion and break it up into sects.

But when one asks a Muslim, "who are you?", the common answer is either ‘I am a Sunni, or ‘I am a Shia’. Some call themselves Hanafi, or Shafi or Maliki or Humbali. Some say ‘I am a Deobandi’, while some others say ‘I am a Barelvi’.

3. Our Prophet was a Muslim

One may ask such Muslims, "Who was our beloved prophet (pbuh)? Was he a Hanafi or a Shafi, or a Humbali or a Maliki?" No! He was a Muslim, like all the other prophets and messengers of Allah before him.

It is mentioned in chapter 3 verse 52 of Al-Qur’an that Jesus (pbuh) was a Muslim.

Further, in chapter 3 verse 67, Al-Qur’an says that Ibrahim (pbuh) was not a Jew or a Christian but was a Muslim.

4. Qur’an says call yourselves Muslim

If anyone poses a Muslim the question who are you, he should say "I am a MUSLIM, not a Hanafi or a Shafi". Surah Fussilat chapter 41 verse 33 says
"Who is better in speech
Than one who calls (men)
To Allah, works righteousness,
And says, ‘I am of those
Who bow in Islam (Muslim)?’ "
[Al-Qur’an 4133]

The Qur’an says "Say I am of those who bow in Islam". In other words, say, "I am a Muslim".

The Prophet (pbuh) dictated letters to non-Muslim kings and rulers inviting them to accept Islam. In these letters he mentioned the verse of the Qur’an from Surah Ali Imran chapter 3 verse 64
Say ye "Bear witness
That we (at least)
Are Muslims (bowing
To Allah’s Will)."
[Al-Qur’an 364]

5. Respect all the Great Scholars of Islam

We must respect all the great scholars of Islam, including the four Imaams, Imam Abu Hanifa, Imam Shafi, Imam Humbal and Imam Malik (may Allah be pleased with them all). They were great scholars and may Allah reward them for their research and hardwork. One can have no objection if someone agrees with the views and research of Imam Abu Hanifa or Imam Shafi, etc. But when posed a question, ‘who are you?’, the reply should only be ‘I am a Muslim’.

Some may argue by quoting the hadith of our beloved Prophet from Sunan Abu Dawood Hadith No. 4579. In this hadith the prophet (pbuh) is reported to have said, "My community will be split up into seventy-three sects."

This hadith reports that the prophet predicted the emergence of seventy-three sects. He did not say that Muslims should be active in dividing themselves into sects. The Glorious Qur’an commands us not to create sects. Those who follow the teachings of the Qur’an and Sahih Hadith, and do not create sects are the people who are on the true path.

According to Tirmidhi Hadith No. 171, the prophet (pbuh) is reported to have said, "My Ummah will be fragmented into seventy-three sects, and all of them will be in Hell fire except one sect." The companions asked Allah’s messenger which group that would be. Where upon he replied, "It is the one to which I and my companions belong."

The Glorious Qur’an mentions in several verses, "Obey Allah and obey His Messenger". A true Muslim should only follow the Glorious Qur’an and the Sahih Hadith. He can agree with the views of any scholar as long as they conform to the teachings of the Qur’an and Sahih Hadith. If such views go against the Word of Allah, or the Sunnah of His Prophet, then they carry no weight, regardless of how learned the scholar might be.

If only all Muslims read the Qur’an with understanding and adhere to Sahih Hadith, Inshallah most of these differences would be solved and we could be one united Muslim Ummah</font id="Trebuchet MS"></font id="size4">
Thank you very much for the mail, however question remains the same. What one can learn from the above post is what to follow. Thing is Non Muslims like to know why muslims are not following these guidelines? And if they are not following them, why they want people from other religions to accept Islam.
Very valid question !!!

Similar question was asked by an Australian widow from me when I started preaching her. She asked me why she should convert to Islam. I told him all the good things about Islam, as per my knowledge. She said, so many of the good things are common among various religions. If Islam could not make its own followers so good then how I could expect to become a good human by converting to Islam. She said, if only good deeds have to be followed, she can even do it be remaining on catholic religion.

We can give so many answers against such questions but unless we make ourselves a role model as a nation, such answers will not convince any one.

Regards,

Kamran.
hmm

why dont you discuss this matter with zakir naik?
Thank you Mr. Kamran ACA and Sarfarz
We all have to start from ourselves before teaching others. The matter was raised infront of Zakir Naik and many other scholars as well. Mr.Naik is of the opinion that we should look at the better side of picture (which in theory I agree) however matters become worse when they say
Ok lets suppose I am willing to be a Muslim but I am confused about which sect to follow?
In my poor understanding, When I read Surah-e-Baqra I found that Bani Israel was the most favourite Ummah near Allah before Muslims and after Islam the most favourite were Muslims and Bani Israel lost this previlege becasue of their deeds. It seems like we Mulims are also following the same track.
I am sure you are aware of recent controversy about Mr. Naik where he was asked about incident of 10 Muhraam (Shahadat of Imam Hussain Razi Allah) and he replied that 'It was a political battle and Yazid RehmatAllah ...........'
People are really furious on his remarks of 'Political battle' and 'Yazid RehmatAllah'.
May Allah bless us all and show us the right direction.
Many Thanks
Kind Regards
hmm

dear accounting unlimited

please if you read the incident of karbala from waqia karbala published by dar us salam international in which that incident was extracted from the authentic books of islamic history then your point of view would be the same as dr naik said ....

plz also refer to mushajarat e sahaba ,, you may find this books in urdu bazar from any islamic / salafi book store ....

we should follow quran and authentic hadith of Rasul ALLAH sale la hu alaehe wasalam and should not be divided into sects ...

and ALLAH knows the best
Thank you very much for references.
I neither agree or disagree with Mr.Naik neither I have any objection or appraisal for the terms and words he used. The point I was trying to mention is by following different speakers people develop similiar ideology and in further stages they get distributed in sects, cast etc..
Thanks
hmm

so all muslims should follow quran and authentic ahadith

so we may not be divided into sects

INSHALLAH
Insha Allah.
Dears,

The topic concluded with, "we should not be devided into sects". But the issue raised is still "hen's one leg".

How can we prove with our deeds that we are the best? Does the overall picture of Islamic world attract non-muslims so much that they wish to convert and follow?

Can we, at our current situation, become an example for others?

What's the solution which can bring a change in short-term?

I does not mean to have advices, rather solution is needed which of course does not lie in simple words and suggestions.

Regards,

KAMRAN.
How come Muslims can put to an end the sectarian division?

Someone said that WAKAYA KARBALA was a political battle, others mourn for it 1500 years after its happening.

One should follow authentic ahadees as Sarfaraz mentioned, at this time there is no book of ahadees which all Muslims do believe to be authentic.

I, simply, want to conclude that it seems sect division can't be put to an end. The solution still is there that is acceptance for other's beliefs no matter how much different they are. Don't think that yours is the only sect that is on HAQ. Everyone who is the follower of Touheed and Prophet (PBUH) is a Muslim no matter of the sect he is associated with.
Very well said Schuaeb. The process of correction starts form ourselves by respecting other human beings and their values, many people don't want to do that and want others to bring change in themselves, as a result they cannot anticipate solution and their questions always remain unanswered.
Dears,

So this was the point which I wanted to bring to the attention of all. I am thankful to Shoaib for highlighting it.

Forebearance is the only solution for Muslims to make a change. There is no other way out.

Changing one's ownself is a very good concept but it has never served the purpose on this very topic. Every one feels he is on right path and feels his-self to be corrected. This also gives rise to the feeling that others are not corrected. Ultimately this again lead to creation of sects instead of reducing it.

Therefore, the only way out is to bear the belief and faith of others. We should concentrate on what we do instead of concentrating about what they do. This has nothing to do with correctness of our deeds or others deeds. The aim is to keep the things intact. Any one's actions, as per his faith and belief, should not affect us and should not lead to so-called " MAJROOH JAZBAAT" which is a very normal feature of our "sensitive" society. Let the people do what they are doing. Only leave the message with others politely without discussing their own faith, if we feel it appropriate (this should also not be felt bad by us or by others) and just don't become the leaseholder of their faith. That's it.

I am not referring it to our case of religious bifurcation, but as an example we can see that in advanced and peaceful countries what not and what not people do even on roads. Even the most immoral things. But this does not affect the others so far as it does not affect them directly. This way they maintain their peace and no issues arise there. I am not talking about such immoral things but as far as religious beliefs and faiths are concerned this is a matter between human and God. Why we feel affected by the faiths of others? Should we do even when our HOLY BOOK says that there is no compulsion or forcibility in religion?

I don't have much religious knowledge but I can openly say that until and unless we bring this change and opt to ignore the things which don't affect us, we cannot change the situation. We cannot be called a followable nation.

Yes, if we don't do this due to whatever reasons, we will never be a peaceful nation.

Regards,

KAMRAN.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kamranACA</i>
<br />Dears,

I am not referring it to our case of religious bifurcation, but as an example we can see that in advanced and peaceful countries what not and what not people do even on roads. Even the most immoral things. But this does not affect the others so far as it does not affect them directly. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Apart from the subject of this thread, just want to share something interesting I noticed while reading the afore-mentioned lines by Kamran. The definition of morality may be different. In Pakistan you adults can pea on road in front of others but can't kiss any one. Situation is to the contrary in the advanced countries as referred to. Peeing on road is taken as an offence for which one can be sentenced, however, other issues (considered immoral by us) are fine to go with.
I am not saying that the various sects in Islam is a good thing, verily as Allah says in the Quran just one of the hundreds of sects will make it to heaven, ofcourse Allah is all forgiving and Rahim and Rahman. We should all do our bits and stick on to the sect or madhab (I would say one of the four main streams) and ensure that we do not induldge in un Islamic practices, leave the rest to Allah SWT.

To most non muslims I know, it makes little difference, because there are too many similarities in the various main stream sects

-Belief in the unity of Alla
-Belief in the finality of the last Messenger Muhammed SAW
-Praying (very similar),ie rakooh, sajood all facing Mecca
-Considering Quran as the source of all Islamic tenants
-The fact that we easily (in most places) are able to pray in each other's mosques behind their imams (this becomes more profound and marked, when you are living in a non muslim country)

Bear in mind that Catholics and Protestants, do not and cannot pray in each others Churches (from a relegious point of view)

This is also true for Hindus, who even have dedicated 'god specific' temples and in most places do not worship in 'another god's' temple.

I see our (Muslim) dilemma, to be more of a case of awareness and understanding our relegion. The best way to is read quran with translation and various interpetations. Read it as many times as you can, and things become clearer. Read on verse a day, get an audio of the translation to play in your car or in your walkman, ipod or MP3 player.

Again,this is coming from a person with limited knowledge on relegion and my personal two cents ofcourse. May Allah SWT guide us in the right path. Amin
Pages: 1 2