Accountancy Forum

Full Version: Completed ACCA ....want to do CFA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As the topic says.....i have qualified ACCA in the recent attempt(DEC 2007), and right now i am 21 years old.

I have no previous work experience and i am planning to do CFA......whats bothering me is the 3 years of work experience....should i join one of the big four audit firms and continue my CFA or should i do some thing else that is relevant to CFA and also fulfills ACCA practical experience requirements........also thinking of availing exemptions in CIMA on ACCA basis and give the last 3 papers.......Any feedback from senior members would be much appreciated
Identify your objectives first.

CIMA and CFA lead to two entirely different fields. First decide which sector you want to work in...in industry CIMA would help you but if you want to take up a career in financial services then go for CFA. Don’t waste years pursuing a career which you do not like at the first place. You are 21 but that does not mean you have time to play with your career. It’s a very sensitive issue.

I kicked my years of exp in industry, consecutively cancelled my contracts with EY and then KPMG in a GCC country and finally landed a job I was dreaming about. You won't be this lucky...so think before taking the plunge.

And as far as CFA is concerned, mind it, its tough. My ACCA/CIA did not help that much in studying even for level 1.

Take a decision and then stick to it.

So bro think a lot before deciding.
Hi, Congratulations on qualifying
I agree with asifhanif, one thing is clear from your post that you have no intention of studying for ACA. So there is no point to go to big 4 or other audit firm.
If you want to go for CFA, try getting job in investment banks and other financial institutions and brokerage houses. Upon qualifying level1, you can seek employment in Gulf as well which will increase your knowledge and utility of CFA studies.
I would like to add one more thing, do not think about money for the next year or two, set some short and long term goals and as asifhanif said be persistent to them.
Good luck
Many Thanks
Kind Regards
Hmm....so after doing CFA (or atleast 2 levels of it), what are my prospects of getting a job in the middle east or in the UK.
Just on a sidenote, my academic background is GCSE Ordinary and Advanced level. Plus as you said, i am not thinking of money for the next three years or so....all i want is some good international exposure.....so what i want to know is, what are the prospects of an ACCA qualified and CFA level 1-2 passed person getting a job in the middle east or some other country.....)
CFA is gold qualification in U.A.E. Financial Services Market. Your ACCA + CFA level 1 or 2 will help you get a reasonable job in Dubai/Qatar.
I would highly recommend to go for Oxford Brookes project for B.Sc (Hons) as early as possible. Most of the financial services firms offer internship on the basis of degree rather than certifications like ACCA (I am talking in international scenario). That degree will increase your chances to get a good place in good organisation.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by accountingunlimited</i>
<br />I would highly recommend to go for <b>Oxford Brookes project for B.Sc (Hons)</b> as early as possible. Most of the financial services firms offer internship on the basis of degree rather than certifications like ACCA (I am talking in international scenario). That degree will increase your chances to get a good place in good organisation.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

BSC Hons degree..really!!!!...is it that helpful..i didn't know that S....If yes, then I better submit my project by the next deadline...also, does the Class/division awarded on the degree matter ??? cuz my ACCA Part 2 average is coming to 68.2%.....so i am looking at first class first division...

PS thanks for the feedback guys....hopefully if things go well i will be sitting for my CFA level 1 paper this December
Yes, it is more than helpful you can think about. People are applying HSMP on the basis of this degree, not only this some smart brothers have applied for work permit on the basis of this degree. If you go the following website you will find useful links to employers in UK and Middleast etc who hire graduates.
http//www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/p!eLaXi
As far as you question regarding score is concerned. Yes the good the score the good the chances are, first class division will be brilliant.
Many Thanks
Kind Regards