Accountancy Forum

Full Version: 7.5 MILLION SIMs TO BE BLOCKED
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
According to a news item appearing 27 April 2008, the Senate Standing Committee on Interior has set May 22 deadline for mobile companies to block over 4.45 million SIMs issued on "fictitious" documents. The Committee Chairman has also expressed that the Committee might consider moving a privilege motion in the Senate inter alia to assess whether these mobile companies had made any substantial investment in the country or if they were only concerned with making money.

Can the Committee do al this? I have no remotest doubt on the sincerity of the members of the Committee but have full doubt if the Committee has any teeth worth to achieve it. The then PTCL Chairman was appointed on a huge salary not seen before which raised eye brows of many intellectuals including that some columns too were penned down on this salary. The concerned Senate Standing Committee recommended not to give any extension to the Chairman. The heaviest ever mandated democracy lover Mian Nawaz Sharif putting senate committee's recommendations on his foot gave extension to the Chairman. This showed what worth such committees or parliaments are in the eyes of these who "sit" on chair.

Are there really millions SIMs supposedly on "fictitious" documents? The mobile companies are now required to get all these documents "verified" from NADRA. But the basic and most important that these SIMs are being sold like toffees without any documentation at shops and outlets. Only a small percentage of people purchasing directly from the sales offices of mobile companies had obtained these SIMs through proper filling up the Application Forms and by submission of IDs. I purchased A Warid SIM in September 2006 from Ramage Stores (formally known as Mumtaz General Stores), Hashmi Centre, Saddar Karachi. This was given to me after properly obtaining copy of my CNIC. When my SIM got lost I was shocked when the Warid Telecom told me that the SIM was not registered in my name. My more than a year efforts writing to Citizens Police Liaison Committee Karachi, Warid, PTA Chairman requesting to know then where then went copy of my CNIC brought no effect. The Chairman PTA responded me that in many countries SIMs were sold without any documentation when I had to increase his knowledge that while he was true but it was his deliberate innocent ignorance that those countries had not officially prescribed documentation whereas in Pakistan this documentation requirement was mandatory over which PTA "deliberately" had closed its eyes. The worthy Chairman told me he had assigned his subordinate officers to find out the facts which officers in return knowing well their Chairman will never ever enquire what was the progress never ever reverted back to me.

Hardly would there be any SIMs obtained on fictitious documents which fictitious documents are a bit pain in making while using copy over re-copy of others CNICs is too easy and more suitable. What would in this case NADRA do? It will verify most of these documents as correct because the particulars of holders forwarded to NAD|RA would be of those who had correct genuine ID Cards may those actually be buyers of SIMs or not. Last year country's most serious English newspaper told its readers that there were about 8,000 connections issued in one single name which definitely I am sure would be the "kamal" of copy over re-copy. The newspaper report alleged that this was in the knowledge of PTA who as usual remained silent. There are recorded cases with Federal Ombudsman telephones working as PCOs even when the person in whose name the connection stood subscribed never eve being a poor ever applied even for a home landline connection.

Last month when most senior writer and intellectual Irshad Ahmad Haqqani through this column protested over unethical charging subscribers by PTCL, the PTA Chairman came up with a usual funny lethargic reply which thinking in fact is killing the masses and the country as a whole. The PTA Chairman told Haqqani that it should be seen that these mobile companies brought foreign exchange in Pakistan. Such wizards appointed on political basis never tell the nation how much such foreign investors brought and how much in return in short span of time they have till now bleeded out Pakistan. The Foreign investors mostly have brought only where by investing a dollar today they may repatriate dollars 10 in next 8 months. The foreign banks are an example of it which according to a most senior economist Dr. Shahid a foreign bank in Pakistan recovers all its investment in 5 years and then it is continuous free earning for ever..

Now I can not definitely say on my said deposited copy of my CNIC how many SIMs and of how many mobile services at present may be working in Pakistan issued to how many and whom. It has become a fashion in our country demanding a copy of CNIC by Government offices with each communication or application whatsoever. No one can thus say with guarantee no PCOs was working in any part of the country in one's name or a house building loan obtained. When 7-8 years back the Government concerted its efforts for recovery of loans (of course from small loanees) in the international press came photographs of 4-5 thin hungry looking labourers behind bar for fault of non payment of loans. They told the press they never can even think of entering into a Bank building let alone having a bank account or obtaining a loan. However they remembered once their landlord (Wadera) took their national identity cards.

Mobile SIM on your or mine name being used in your ignorance will not stop at all as there is no such intent to stop it at all. As after a month Muree Declaration turned out merely as a "political statement" this effort of streamlining SIM sale will time prove is also a "usual good governance talk".

There is only one hope on this and that in return of My Lordship Mr. Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Choudhary. I am sure many would laugh reading my this sentence but I do not mind. Last week a big report appeared in our national press. The story was of a untouchable cast Hindu from Bheel tribe in interior of Sindh. His 12 family was kidnapped by the area Waders 10 years back. The family included a then 2 year daughter and very old mother the poor untouchable. He cried to Presidents, Prime Ministers, so called human right NGOs, Senators no body listened. Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Choudhary read his story and order the DIG to produce the concerned Wadera. The DIG informed Wadera had gone for long to Saudi Arabia (of course with the advice of influential and police). Just Iftikhar told the told to bring Wadera on next hearing otherwise concerned may come well prepared to remain in custody till Wadera does not come. So smoothly came back Wadera – this showed how powerful our police is which can make miracles. The Wadera was put into jail and still is. The story told Bheel today says on the skies is his Baghwa and on earth is Justice Iftikhar sent by his Baghwan who can not bring his family to him. I am sure none of those who laughed earlier on my above sentence would now have the courage to laugh on this Bheel. My Lordship Mr. Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Choudhary is not a name or individual today but a “concept of justice” people like me dreaming and which one day I am confident would come. After all it was Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Choudhary who in July 2006 took notice of unrecorded sale of SIMs when I brought it to his notice.