Accountancy Forum

Full Version: ACMA’s&CA’s and Equivalent Academic Qualification
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The problem of equivalent academic qualification is normally faced by the professional accountants in Pakistan. Currently qualified CA and ACMA is considered equal to master degree holder. In my opinion it is unjust. The problem becomes most terrible in case of CA’s. Because CA is started after intermediate or A Level. So a C.A (Inter) who is eligible for a good managerial job is considered as an inter pass person. That’s why many C.A students do B.Com along with C.A. The problem of equivalent academic qualification is also with AC MA’s.
Other professional degree holders enjoy status of equivalent qualification beside their professional qualifications are also considered like academic qualification e.g. L.L.B and M.B.B.S. The MBBS students deserve for the degree of B.Sc (with Chemistry, Biology or Zoology or Botany) after passing only English of B.Sc and some other paper. The students of Dini Madarsas are even more lucky than the CA’s and ACMA’s . The five year degree of Dini Madrasas that is called SHAHADAT-E-ALIA is considered equivalent to B.A (Arabic & Islamic Studies) while their eight years degree of Dini Madrasas that is called SHAHADAT-E-ALMIA is considered equivalent to double M.A i.e. M.A (Arabic) and M.A (Islamic Studies) for the purpose of appointment as Lecturer in these subjects in colleges and universities and for admission in M.Phil and Ph.D in Arabic and Islamic Studies. The L.L.B degree is considered equivalent to Masters.
Today when the private universities are selling degrees MBA, MCS, BBA, BCCS and even M.S but the ACMA’s and ACA’s whose level of knowledge is wider than even the Ph.D (Finance) are considered only equivalent to Masters.
In my opinion it is the duty of both ICAP and ICMAP to work together for the purpose of granting reasonable academic qualification for their members and part qualified students. A memorandum of understanding should be signed with government universities regarding awarding of M.Com degrees to part qualified ACMA’s and CA are on the basis of vast range of exemptions in M.Com programs of these universities. Further the part qualified ACMA’s and CA should be allowed to appear M.Com exams of these universities in the style of private students of M.A/M.Sc at the payment of nominal examination fees only. Here someone can raise the question how can some group of persons is allowed to appear in the exams of degrees of M.Com. The answer of this question that Punjab University allow students to appear in M.Sc (Maths) as private students the MB BS students are also eligible for B.Sc degree like private students.
It is quite appropriate to quote that ACCA’s are eligible for the degree of B.Sc (Accounting) from Oxford University UK.

The members comments in this regard shall be warmly welcomed

Thanks & regards

Awais Aftab
The part qualifieds of CIMA are entitled to obtain a Bachelor's degree from the University of Central Punjab on submission of thesis. CIMA qualifieds are also entitled to obtain an MBA degree from a number of reputed British Universities on appearing in specified papers.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Astute Accountant</i>
<br />The part qualifieds of CIMA are entitled to obtain a Bachelor's degree from the University of Central Punjab on submission of thesis. CIMA qualifieds are also entitled to obtain an MBA degree from a number of reputed British Universities on appearing in specified papers.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I know about complete degree awarding criteria of University of Central Punjab but it is too costly. In my view the degree of M.Com should be awarded to part qualified or qualified professional accountants by public sector universities by allowing maximum exemptions and against the payment of examination fee only.

ICMA stage-5 qualified students are also eligible for MBA degree of University of Central Punjab.

Regards,

Awais Aftab