Accountancy Forum

Full Version: CPA Procedure/Information
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Hello Everybody,

I am very pleased to see that a large number of accounting students in Pakistan is really interested in Certified Public Accountants program. Some of them shared their knowledge which should be appreciated. But this information is scattered and some pieces of the puzzle are missing. Since I am a senior accounting fellow and a CPA, I feel it is my responsibility to guide my younger one properly.
Before you take a decision of doing CPA, you must evaluate that how it will benefit to you. Are you planning to migrate to US/Canada? I am away from Pakistan for long time so I have no idea about CPA’s market in Pakistan.
The procedure of writing CPA exam is a bit complex because there are so many different agencies involved. First, note that CPA is a uniform exam. Uniform mean it is same in the entire US comprising 50 states and 4 jurisdictions. Exam is set and marked by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA). Each state and jurisdiction regulates accounting practice laws in its jurisdiction. So they have different requirements say education, age, residency, citizenship, public accounting experience, work experience etc. States are classified in two type of state 1. One Tier One and Two Tie States.
1- One Tier states
One tier states issue practice license only. They don’t issue certificates. They will issue you a license if you meet all the requirements as mentioned above, of that particular state. If you don’t meet the requirements of a state don’t select that state because it will be useless for you. You won’t get your certificate or license. They will send you a congratulation letter only. However, at any time you can change the state. You can transfer your credits from one state to another.
2- Two Tier States
Unlike One Tier states, two tier states issue certificate as well as license. There are a few states which are tow tier such as North Dakota, Montana, and Delaware etc.
States accounting practice is regulated by State Board of Accountancy. All State boards are connected in one forum called National Association of Boards of Accountancy (NASBA). You can obtain detailed information about each state board’s requirement at www.nasba.org.
State selection is a critical decision for writing CPA exam because it will affect you future. Before you select a state, read the entire website of board of accountancy particularly its requirements. You will have direct contact with the state board all the times. Don’t hesitate to contact to the board if anything is unclear regarding evaluation, requirement, etc., to you. Generally board will reply your e-mail within 48 hours.
Foreign Credential Evaluation
Once you have selected the state where from you want to do your CPA, next step is evaluation of educational documents. Most states now require completion of 150 semester credit hours except a few where it is still 120 credit hours. Delaware State allows you to write the exam if you have passed US Taxation course. They don’t have 120 credit hours requirement. You should check your state board’s website for approved evaluators. You can also obtain information from www.naces.org. On this website they have a complete list of approved evaluators. But note that some state like New York make their own evaluation. They don’t accept any other evaluator. You can download evaluation form from individual evaluator’s website. You have to attach notarized copies all your educational, training and experience certificates along with syllabus. There are few evaluators which require your educational institution to provide them a direct confirmation in a sealed envelope. Contact you evaluator and check their requirement. You have to inform the evaluator that which state you want to write your CPA Exam, in the evaluation form. The evaluator will forward your evaluation report to respective state board of accountancy and will send you a copy. Generally evaluation fee varies from US$100.00 to US$120.00 and it takes them, about 6 weeks to send your evaluation report.
Application to State Board of Accountancy
Once you have met all the requirements, you would you should download Application Form from the State Board’s website. Fill in the form, attach the document, applicable fee and send it to the state board. The board will review your application and send you an approval to sit in the exam. The board will send your information to NASBA for further process. Some boards collect exam fee directly and some collect through NASBA. Once you have received your approval, you need to contact to NSBA which will issue you a Notice to Schedule (NTS). NTS is the most important document. Check this document very carefully particularly you complete name, even spellings because you will not be allowed to write your exam if there is any spelling mistake. Actually NASBA is a hub between AICPA, Board and Pro-metric Centers.
Pro-metric Center
Pro-metric Centers are independent organization which conduct actual exam. You have to go to www.prometric.com to schedule your exam. The Pro-metric center will send you a confirmation e-mail immediately. Check the details carefully. If there is anything wrong contact to your Pro-metric center immediately for correction.
CPA Exam Sections
There are four sections in CPA Exam.
1. Auditing and Attestation.
Auditing is a 4.5 hours exam. The exam will comprise five test lets. Three test lets will consist of Multiple Choice Questions. Each of these test let will have 30 multiple choice questions. There will be two simulations. Each simulation will be divided in three sub-test lets. Auditing covers US Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS), and Governmental Auditing Standard.
1. Tabs
In the tabs examiner will give you a situation and you would need to fill in the required answers. It is like spread sheet
2. Research.
In the research section the examiner will ask you to substantiate a statement with authoritative material such as you would need to search a particular GAAS, GAAP, section of Income Tax Act etc.
3. Communication
In communication you will be given a situation and the examiner will ask you to write a letter. Communication contributes 10% marks of the overall exam. The marking will be based on your spellings, punctuation, grammar, composition, cohesion, technical knowledge, terminology etc.
2. Financial Accounting and Reporting.
FAR is a 4 hours exam. The exam will comprise five test lets. Three test lets will consist of Multiple Choice Questions. Each of these test let will have 30 multiple questions. There will be two simulations. Each simulation will be divided in three sub-test lets. Test lets and Simulations will be same as stated above. FAR is focused on hard core mercantile accounting, governmental accounting and Not for profit Accounting.
3. Regulations.
Regulation is a 3 hours exam. The exam will comprise five test lets. Three test lets will consist of Multiple Choice Questions. Each of these test let will have 24 multiple questions. There will be two simulations. Each simulation will be divided in three sub-test lets. Test lets and Simulations will be same as stated above. The Regulation exam covers US Taxations, Professional Ethics and Responsibilities, Contract Act, Sales of Goods Act, Mortgage, Insurance, Agency, etc.

4. Business Environment and Concepts.
BEC is a 2.5 hours exam. The exam will consist of three test lets. Each of these test let will have 30 multiple questions. There will be no simulations. However, it is expected that simulations will be added to BEC exam very soon. The BEC exam covers Partnership Laws, Economics, Management Accounting, Information Technology and Financial Management.
Sample Exam
You can experience a sample exam at www.cpa-exam.org. This website contains numerous valuable information. I strongly encourage you to visit this website.
CPA Exam
There is no fixed date for the exam. You can schedule your exam any business day you want. There are four windows in a year. Each window remains open for first two months. There is no exam in the third month. For example,
January, February, April, May, July, August, October, November (Open means you can write your exam)
March, June, September, December (Closed means you can’t write exam)

CPA Course Providers
There are many companies will provide you coaching facilities such as Kaplan, CPA Excel, Rogers, Lambers, Glimpse, Wiley’s, Beckers etc. Most famous is Beckers and Wiley’s. These courses are available in class and online coaching.
CPA Exam methodology
This is Psychometric examination in which they evaluate your entry level knowledge to CPA, knowledge application, attitude, professional judgment, presentations, writing skills etc. Psychometric technique is evaluation process which is more focused on overall evaluation. They classify exam questions into two types of questions say 1) Pretest questions 2) Operating questions. Pretest questions are those questions which have already appeared on the exam before. These questions have no marks but are used to make psychometric evaluations. Operating questions do have marks. You don’t know at the exam that which question is pretest and which is operating.
Generally first test let is medium hard. The computer generates second test let based on your performance. If you perform well on the first test let second test let will be hard, if you don’t perform well second test let will be medium hard. The same is the case with third test let. So your exam could be a blend of
Medium Hard, Medium Hard, Medium Hard
Medium Hard, Hard, Hard
Medium Hard, Hard, Medium Hard

CPA Exam Day
You are supposed to report at Pro-metric center at least 30 minutes before the actual exam. You must produce you Notice to schedule, Pre-metric Center Confirmation e-mail, two pieces of ID issued by a government such as Driver’s License, Passport, National ID Card etc. Make sure that you name on the NTS must be exactly the same as on you IDs. You will not be allowed to write the exam if there is even a spelling mistake.
CPA Exam Scores
Total score is 100% in which multiple choice questions contribute 70% and simulations contribute 30%. Further simulations tabs and research contribute 20% and communication contributes 10%. The passing core is 75%.
NASBA collects you exams from Pro-metric Centers and forwards them to AICPA for marking. AICPA markers evaluate each candidate’s exam. Exams are marked by computer software except communication section of the simulation which is physically checked and marked by a person. As state above, this exam is psychometric so the software is designed in a ways that is does your psychoanalysis automatically.
AICPA release the score randomly in two relays. If you and your friend sit through the same Board of Accountancy, at the same time, in the same exam sections, at the same pro-metric center, you may receive your score at different times. In some cases, detailed psychometric analysis is required which cause detail in release of score. Normally scores are released within five weeks. However, if detailed psychoanalysis is required it could be delayed up to 13 weeks which is very weird.
AICPA communicates scores to NASBA which forwards them to respective board. It is board’s responsibility to communicate you scores. Once you pass your all sections of the CPA Exam, the Board will issue you a license or certificate.
Membership
After passing the CPA exam, you need to be a member of the AICPA. For this purpose you will have to write another exam for Professional Ethics which is a formality only. Then you can become a member of the AICPA and use your CPA designation.
<b>Congratulations! You are a CPA. Wish you good luck.</b>

nice article, informative and helpful
thank you
Dear Mr maqszaman, thank you for this very informative post.

i have a few questions

1. what does this transfer of credits mean?
2. can we transfer credits from a one tier state to a 2 tier state.
3. In UK degrees all Honors Bachelor's degrees are three years and worth 360 CATS credits. CATS is Credit Accumulation and Transfer Scheme (CATS) is used by many universities in the United Kingdom to monitor, record and reward passage through a modular degree course and to facilitate movement between courses and institutions.
i don't know what this means!

the ACCA has a partnership with Oxford Brookes University by which ACCA students have a chance to gain a BSC Hons in applied accounting degree after passing 9 papers, a professional ethics module and passing a research and analysis project. its a recognized and accredited degree in UK. can one sit for CPA exams after getting this degree? its sort of a correspondence degree. will it be accepted?

4. does one get a CPA practicing license immediately after passing the CPA exam, i have heard that one has to train under a licensed CPA? is this true?

regards

CPA exams eligibility evaluators are not considering any qualification which is received on the basis of exemption (like BSC Hons. from Oxford Brookes University).

CPA practicing license will be granted after passing CPA exam plus completion of required training with CPA license firm.

Regards,
Sohail
Good question Rabia. You could also email AICPA directly and menttion specifially the OBU degree and see what they say.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tariqsohail</i>
<br />CPA exams eligibility evaluators are not considering any qualification which is received on the basis of exemption (like BSC Hons. from Oxford Brookes University).

CPA practicing license will be granted after passing CPA exam plus completion of required training with CPA license firm.

Regards,
Sohail

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
there are no exemptions. you have to pass the papers to be awarded the degree.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rabia-k</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tariqsohail</i>
<br />CPA exams eligibility evaluators are not considering any qualification which is received on the basis of exemption (like BSC Hons. from Oxford Brookes University).

Regards,
Sohail

there are no exemptions. you have to pass the papers to be awarded the degree.

Rabia,

I mean to say ACCA students received BSC degree on the basis of passing their 9 papers of ACCA and submitting project report, which means they received this because of ACCA not because they studied BSC.

So such kind of qulaification not recognized by evaluators but if somebody finish ACCA then he will be elgible for CPA exams.

Regards,
Sohail

Hi Rabia,

Although Tariq has explained the situation, however, I would like to respond to your questions one by one.

1- What do I mean by transfer of credit?
As I stated earlier that there are four section in CPA. When you pass one section you are awarded one credit in your account. At any time in future, if you want to change your state, you don't have to pass that section again, rather you can transfer that credit from one state to another state. You need to pass the remaining section from your new state.
2- can we transfer credits from a one tier state to a 2 tier state?
Yes! you can transfer your credit from a one tier state to a 2 tier state and visa versa.

3- You will get credit hours based on your ACCA which is your primary qualification. You will not get credit hours for a degree which you got on that basis. You just can duble dip your chocolate.
Further, if you have completed one course from one institute and you do the same course from another institute you, you will not be awarded credit hours twice. This is a major problem for CMA/CA in Pakistan, because they get their credit hours based on B. Com whereas they study the same courses in CMA/CA.

4- does one get a CPA practicing license immediately after passing the CPA exam, i have heard that one has to train under a licensed CPA? is this true?

Each state board regulates accounting practice in its jurisdiction and has different requirement for license. Some states required no experience at all and some require extensive experience. You just can use your CPA designation after passing the exam nor you can get license. You need to pass Ethics Exam, then the board will certify you as CPA. Then you need to obtain AICPA membership and membership of Society of respective state. Then the board will issue you a practicing license. So three thing 1- Certification from Board 2- Membership of AICPA 3- Membership of Society.

Please feel free to ask if you have any further question.
Mr. Maqsood,

Thanks for this comprehensive information. It would be great if you provide list of current two tier states for CPA in USA, provided if its available with you because in the other case many students have to write this question to individual states.

Regards,
Sohail
Hi Sohail,

The status of the states has been changing very frequently so I don't have an exhaustive list of Two-tier states. However, I am list the states that I know are still two-tier states viz

1-North Dakota State.
2-Montana State
3- Delaware State
4- Colorodo State.
5- Guam

Please note that the real issue is credit hours which is 150 not the certification.
Mr.Maqsood,

Thanks & Agreed...very true actual issue is 150 credit hours. Even an ACMA after B.Com from pakistan can fetch only 144-149 (60-65 graduation & 84 ACMA) credit hours maximum according to WES evaluation and 123-128 (60-65 graduation & 63 ACMA) credit hours according to Josef Silny evlauation.

I am mentioing these points on the basis of recent evaluation made by both evaluators.

I know Delaware state accepting Associate degree holder for CPA exam if someone clear Fed. Tax paper (assignments). But according to your above post I am not clear that whether Delaware state accepting any graduate from Pakistan (2 years) with Fed. Tax paper or not. Because a graduate from Pakistan (2 years) will only able to get 60-65 credit hours.

Regards,
Sohail
Hi Sohail,

AS far as my information is concerned, Delaware state's requirement is Fed. Taxation Exam. If know many people who are B.Com from Pakistan and are CPAs from Delaware state. However, I would recommand to visit Delaware State's website for latest update. Further note that the requirements of each state are changing so frequently.

Second thing is CMA Pakistan. Credit hours depend upon the year you passed CMA Pre- 1995 graguates can get only 36 credit hours as I got. Latest graduate can fetch 84 credit hours. So the passing year matters.
Mr. Maqsood,

Thanks.

Regards,
Sohail
Hi every body,

Please note that AICPA is going to bring drastic changes in CPA exam structure effective from Jan. 01, 2011. Please reveiw them before you plan to write the exam. You can find these details on http//www.cpa-exam.org/alerts/download/cpaalertfall09.pdf

Thanks
MR. MAQSOOD KHAN , SIR I want to know if a qualified person is evaluated by the Evaluation services around 105 or 109 credit hours than what way should be followed in order to complete the remaining credit hours and secondly is there any working experience mandatory for CPA designation

Regards.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7