Accountancy Forum

Full Version: Lays Chips
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Some month ago the issue relating to Haram or Halal of Lays Chips raised. In the start the Lays Chips, subsidiary of Pepsi Cola Int, remained silent about the issue even no clarification was made by the lays chips. When the situation became terrible the lays chips started a compaign that LAYS is 100% HALAL. The company also quoted Fatwa given by Jama-E-Asharfia Lahore, a well known and one of the biggest madrsa of Pakistan named on Maulana Ashraf Ali Thanwi (R.A). But there were serious charges against lays chips that some contracts and fats of PIG are included.

Lays chips was frequently giving the reference of Fatwa of Jame-e-Ashrafia. When some persons contacted the Jame-e-Asharfia then Jame-e-Asharfia clarified that at the time of taking fatwa the lays chips expressed their opinion that the company uses vegetable oil. Afterward Jame-e-Asharfia declared that some facts relating to the ingredients of chips were not disclosed and fatwa was taken by misrepresentation. Hence in each fatwa a sentence is included by Mufties "In the expressed situation or facts" (Dar surate manqoola) so the fatwa given by Jame-e-Asharfia has become null and void.

After some time lays launched an advertisement campaign. In lays' ads Junaid Jamshed appeared and recites a verse of Holy Quran and said that Lays is totally Halal and he have made appropriate investigation. In fact Junaid Jamshed had misconception. Later Ulamahs expressed their serious observations regarding these ads.

Some Ulamahs said that Junaid Jamshed neither a Mufti nor he has read in any Madra so he is not eligible for giving fatwa.

Some researchers has confirmed that pig fats and E-Sereiare ingredients are included in lays.

In the light of aforementioned circumstance a large number of Ulmahs and Mufties decleared that lays is not Halal rather its use is disputed/doubted (MUSHTABA) in accordance with Sharia.

Regards,

Awais Aftab
they are still selling here in the uae.

i found the evidence provided on the following link quite conclusive
http//www.food-info.net/uk/e/e631-lays.pdf

i'll keep on eating Lays unless they r proven HARAM without a shadow of any doubt.
@^
Check out page no 5 of the above pdf. It says that this ingredient is provided by Ajinomoto. The condition of being halal is also doubtful in case of Ajinomoto and Pepsi Cola is controversial with having its relationship with Israel. How can you rely on one single fatwa of a mufti from Jamia Ashrafia? Don't you have faith in Allah?
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mujahid</i>
<br />@^
Check out page no 5 of the above pdf. It says that this ingredient is provided by Ajinomoto. The condition of being halal is also doubtful in case of Ajinomoto and Pepsi Cola is controversial with having its relationship with Israel. How can you rely on one single fatwa of a mufti from Jamia Ashrafia? Don't you have faith in Allah?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

you people take no time into pointing finegers on other peoples faiths. why are they selling in the UAE a MUSLIM country, if they are HARAM? give me a reason y shouldnt i rely on that fatwa, since i am eating lays chips regularly. do you mean that this fatwa is null?
@ Brother Mujahid

i cant seem to understand ur question that <b>"Do you have faith in Allah?"</b>. are u questioning my faith in Allah because i am asking for proof for declaring an eatable Haram? i would certainly like to see an explanation.

Can u provide me with a copy of <b>ANY</b> fatwa of <b>ANY</b> religious school of thought which provides a conclusive proof and unequivocally condemns Lays Chips as Haram?

Brother i really dont know about the relations of Pepsi Cola(a US Inc.) and Ajinomoto ( a Japanese Co.) with Israel. Can u please "enlighten" me on this issue? I cant seem to understand that why Pepsi isn't banned in a single Islamic country? pls provide us with some solid proofs of assistance provided by Pepsi Cola Inc. and Ajinomoto to Israel, so that we can warn <b>ALL</b> the Islamic countries from using their products.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rabia-k</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mujahid</i>
<br />@^

you people take no time into pointing finegers on other peoples faiths. why are they selling in the UAE a MUSLIM country, if they are HARAM? give me a reason y shouldnt i rely on that fatwa, since i am eating lays chips regularly. do you mean that this fatwa is null?

[0]Itni dushmani?
Mujahid Bhai pls answer the questions i hav asked in the thread above..

I m curious to witness the proofs u have on the relations of Ajinomoto, PepsiCo and Israel.

As far as i know Pepsi wasnt sold in Israel until 1991...infact PepsiCo was alleged of supporting the Arab boycott of Israel by the US. Even today Pepsi has a very small share of the beverage market in Israel, while Coca Cola enjoys the lion share of the Israeli market (btw Coca Cola was itself alleged of antisemitism)

Just for general knowledge Kingdom Holding Company, the larget company in Saudi Arabia, controlled by His Royal Highness Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Bin Abdulaziz Alsaud, has investments in PepsiCo. Though the investment is less than 1% of the total issued capital of PepsiCo, but still, why does a member of a Saudi Royal family has investments in a company which "supports Israel"? the burden of proof rests on Mujahid Bhai.
pls visit http//www.kingdom.com.sa/en/IntInvs_OInv_PepsiCo.asp
Relation of Ajinomoto and Israel[?]

A masterpiece of a very imaginative and a creative mind!!!!!!! [D]
actually some people believe that pepsi stands for
P-AY
E-VERY
P-ENNY
S-AVE
I-SRAEL
yes i hav heard of it...but not a single person has ever provided any proof which confirms it.

if an Israeli calls Pepsi as "Pay Every Penny to Save <b>Islam</b>"...ofcourse we will ask them to provide proof for their claim.

some ppl belive in tooth fairy, easter bunny, alien abductions n a lot of crazy stuff....[D] i'll only confirm their existence when someone will provide me with evidence and non-rebuttable proof of their existence!

pls read the article on the following link
http//www.snopes.com/cokelore/israel.asp
Name of Ajinomoto has quoted in above thread. Lays chips purchases flavour enhancers from Ajinomoto. In Indonasia heavy penalty has imposed on Ajinomoto Inc. for using HARAM ingredients in their products largest Islamic body in the country admitted that few months ago that pork enzymes were being used in the production of the widely used flavour enhancer, monosodium glutamate (MSG). The Indonesian Ulemas Council (MUI) uncovered the illegal use of bactosoytone when it began an audit of the Ajinomoto Inc in September 2000.

For more information pl visit just-food.com

The following report of Jakarta post may be helpful for those persons who are still insisting on eating LAYS

"JAKARTA (JP) The Indonesian Ulemas Council (MUI) is reviewing the halal certificate -- which states that food or beverages are permitted to be eaten by Muslims -- of taste enhancer Ajinomoto as it allegedly uses pig enzymes in its production process.

Council chairman Amidhan said proof had been obtained by its Food and Drug Control Body (LPOM MUI) in a recent analysis conducted as a prerequisite to renewing the halal certificate.

Muslims are forbidden to eat pork and any by-product coming from pigs.

""Every two years, we re-audit the halal certificate. And since October, PT Ajinomoto apparently changed one of its materials, from polypeptone to bactosoytone,"" Amidhan told The Jakarta Post in a telephone interview on Friday.

Both are used as a medium to cultivate bacteria which produces chemical compounds needed in the production of the taste enhancer.

The first one is extracted from beef, the later is taken from pigs.

According to Amidhan the reason for the change was that bactosoytone produces more bacteria and thus produces more compounds.

In last I want to quote theme of one Hadis (Not Complete Hadis)

Hazart Muhammad(SAW) ne farmaya jis ka mafhoom ha k halal bhi waze ha aur haram bhi waze ha aur in donon k dermian mutashabebahat hain bus mutashabehat ko chore do kamiab ho jao ge.

Allah(JJ) Knows better,

Peace and blessings of Alminghy ALLAH be upon you people

Regards,

Muhammad Awais Aftab Sidiqui

The argument provided by awaisaftab would hav been very "plausible", if provided <b>8 years ago</b>. No one can deny the incident which happened at Ajninomoto Indonesia, but it happened at the end of the year 2000 and early 2001. MSG is still prodcued in Indonesia (which is by the way the largest Islamic country in the world in terms of population) by Ajinimoto today. So, does it have any relevance today?

Do u know what MSG is? MSG is Monosodium glutamate....well this is the chemical name...it is popularly known here as <b>Chinese Salt</b>. Almost ALL the Chinese Salt available in Pakistan is imported from the subsidiaries of Ajinomoto Inc. in China and Indonesia. Do u know that Chinese salt is used in almost every single instant food masala mix produced by very popular Masala companies in pakistan? it is also used in preparing food at every Chinese restaurant in Pakistan....and i m talking about the same MSG produced by Ajinomoto Indonesia today (NOT 8 years ago!). i hav personally confirmed the above information from an importer of MSG from Ajiniomoto in Pakistan.

So brother awaisaftab, if u still want to run this propaganda based on the fact that Ajinomto Indonesia was involved in an incident 8 years ago, then i would urge u not to single out Lays chips...but also call <b>all</b> the Chinese restaurants as well as <b>all</b> the masala companies in Pakistan as HARAM. Are u prepared to run that campaign against them with the same enthusiasm?

P.S Lays chips import Sodium Guanylate and Sodium Inosinate, not from Indonesia, but from Thailand.
The Halal certificate, issued by The Central Islamic Committee of Thailand for the import (which is required in Pakistan) is available on Page 3 of the following link
http//www.food-info.net/uk/e/e631-lays.pdf
I just gave the reference of Ajinomoto for the sake that ulmahs have reservation on the product produced by Aginomoto. I think our discussion is going in somehow wrong direction. Simple is that the list of ingredients is printed on Lays Masala and a code E-631 is also printed. E-631 is obtained from pig and it is pig fat.So there are serious reservation about other flavours of Lays about halal and haram status of these other flavours.

Thats all it is clear how you can expect from Christians and Jews that they will produce HALAL food stuff for Muslims.

May Allah guide people towards right path and safe them from following the path of SHATAN

Regards,

Awais Aftab
the E-61 used in lays chips pakistan is derieved from tapioca starch (plant based). it has nothing to do with animal fat.

http//www.food-info.net/uk/e/e631-lays-halal.doc
Pages: 1 2