Accountancy Forum

Full Version: An interview with General Rani
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

She was an influential character of a dark chapter of our history.

http//www.newsline.com.pk/NewsMay2002/memories.htm
i didnt know that Fakhre Alam and Adnan Sami Khan are grandsons of General Rani.

i would recommend reading "My Feudal Lord" written by Tehmina Durrani, ex-wife of Malik Ghulam Mustafa Khar who is a prominent politician in Pakistan and is a former Governor of Punjab. To quote the author herself, the book is about "….our (Pakistani) politics, our leadership, their values, their mentalities, their Islamic principles and their views on women (page 365)."
I think as per article, Akleem Akhtar was maternal aunt of Adnan Sami's mother.

Very long ago I read the Urdu version "Mainda Sain" of "My Feudal Lord". A good book though.

Recently, I was reading somewhere that there was a full chapter in Hamood-ur-Rahman commission report about relationship between Madam Noor Jehan and Yahya Khan. However, instead of asking about her role, we have awarded more rewards.
I have read some parts of the Indian version of the Hamoodur Rahman Commission Report.

There is a section in the report by the heading of <b>"Glaring Cases of Moral Lapses Amongst Officers Posted in East Pakistan"</b>.
Page 14-20
http//www.scribd.com/doc/17315249/Hamoodur-Rahman-Commission-Report

Also read the recommendations made in the report which specifically states that

<b>"There is consensus on the imperative need of bringing to book those senior Army Commanders who have brought disgrace and defeat to Pakistan by their subversion of the Constitution, usurpation of political power by criminal conspiracy, their professional incompetence, culpable negligence and wilful neglect in the performance of their duties and physical and moral cowardice in abandoning the fight when they had the capability and resources to resist the enemy. Firm and proper action would not only satisfy the nation's demand for punishment where it is deserved, but would also ensure against any future recurrence of the kind of shameful conduct displayed during the 1971 war. We accordingly recommend that the following trials be undertaken without delay. -

(i) That General Yahya Khan....should be publicly tried for being party to a criminal conspiracy to illegally usurp power.....</b>Page 78-79

<b>(vi) That Lt. Gen. A.A.K. Niazi, former Commander, Eastern Command, be court-martialled on 15 charges as set out in Chapter III of part V of the Supplementary Report regarding his wilful neglect in the performance of his professional and military duties connected with the defence of East Pakistan and the shameful surrender of his forces tot he Indians at a juncture when he still had the capability and resources to offer resistance." </b>Page 80

<b>III. Other Inquiries

5 . (i) That allegations of personal immorality, drunkenness and indulgence in corrupt practices against General Yahya Khan, General Abdul Hamid Khan and Maj. Gen Khuda Dad Khan be properly investigated as there is prima facie evidence to show that their moral degeneration resulted in indecision, cowardice and professional incompetence. In the light of the result of this inquiry suitable charges may be added against these Officers, during the trials we have already recommended earlier." .....</b>page 83

<b>"VI. Measures for Moral Reform in the Armed Forces

8. While dealing at some length with the moral aspect of the 1971 debacle, in Chapter I of Part V of the Main Report as well as in the corresponding Chapter of the present Supplementary Report, we have expressed the opinion that there is indeed substance in the widespread allegation, rather belief, that due to corruption arising out of the performance of Martial Law duties, lust for wine and women, and greed for lands and houses a large number of senior Army Officers, particularly those occupying the highest positions, had not only lost the will to fight but also the professional competence necessary for taking the vital and critical decisions demanded ofthem for the successful prosecution of the war..."</b> Page 87

It is appalling to note that instead of following upon the recommendations of the report, we chose to honor the culprits with full military burial on their deaths.