Accountancy Forum

Full Version: IS a Uk degree recognised in USA and Canada
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Assalam-0-Alikum everyone,
i want to ask that if i do Bachelors in accounting/finance and management from University of Nottingham, will it be recognized in Canada and USA?
As the duration of BA honors in accounting/finance and management is 3 years while all the canadian and US universities ask for a 4 year degree
Dear Ali2789

Generally speaking, why not degrees from UK would be recognized in North America, if degrees even from Pakistan are recognized here. Though make sure whatever degree you wanna get should be authorized and approved by local (i.e. UK's) higher education conrolling body like UGC or HEC in Pakistan.

Recognition and length of degree or number of credit hours/courses completed are two seperate issues. For example, 2 years BCom or BA degree from Karachi University is recognized degree here, but not accepted for further higher education or to Canadian/US designations, as the number of courses completed are less than completed in US/Canadian degree. So, holder of BCom from Karachi university would have to go for some additional or bridging courses if he/she wanna do MCom here.

If the degree is short in terms of length of years, courses or credit hours from North American standard, then a student would go for some additional credit hour courses or pre-requisite courses etc. etc. but it does not mean that degree wouldn't be recognized here, provided it is recognized by higher education controlling body of that jurisdiction where that university/college was located/chartered (i.e. UK in your case).

However, I don't know specifically about University of Nottingham.

Regards
thanks mate
Yes your degree will definitely be recognised. The reason why degrees are 3 years in UK is because they follow 13 years of schooling (upto A-level) while in America and Canada schooling is only up to 12th grade. At the end of the degree students in both countries complete 16 years of education.