Accountancy Forum

Full Version: CIMA vs MBA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can someone tell me whether CIMA is better than an MBA(from a good institute)in term of salary and career prospects?

Somebody stop me!
salaaam all,
hey, shahbaz; the difference in MBA n CIMA, as i think, is tht CIMA is world wide accepted n respected equally by all the employers n no one can doubt its credibility at all ... n in case of mba, it is not an international thing ... i mean, not every country accepts ur degree of mba unless their country accepts it .. bt CIMA has no such prob, it is internationally recognized ...
common thing in cima n mba, specially mba(finance/accounting), is tht both r dealing in financial management career ... if u vizit www.cimaglobal.com they have explicitely mentioned "world class financial management" as the main heading.

FARHAN
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id=quote>quote<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
salaaam all,
hey, shahbaz; the difference in MBA n CIMA, as i think, is tht CIMA is world wide accepted n respected equally by all the employers n no one can doubt its credibility at all ... n in case of mba, it is not an international thing ... i mean, not every country accepts ur degree of mba unless their country accepts it .. bt CIMA has no such prob, it is internationally recognized ...
common thing in cima n mba, specially mba(finance/accounting), is tht both r dealing in financial management career ... if u vizit www.cimaglobal.com they have explicitely mentioned "world class financial management" as the main heading.

FARHAN
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" size=2 id=quote>

Mr Farhan,

Thanks for your comments regarding the query from Shahzeb, but I have an objection to what you included in your thoughts.
You said explicitly that MBA is not recognised worldwide and that CIMA is a worldwide thing, although you made it clear that you were referring you insight to the extent where it depends on the country's acceptance of your qualification.

However, I think Shahzeb did mention that he intends to do (or have done) MBA from a reputed institution, therefore, once he said 'reputed / good' then how come foreign countries wouldn't accept it. After all, reputation is gained when you produce high calibre young professionals!

(I hope Mr Farhan wouldn't mind to what I have said - at last we have to maintain the legitimacy of your discussion as well because the last thing would be an amateur enter to this forum and get the wrong insight!)

In response to Mr Shahzeb query, I would say that although some may argue that CIMA, though being a professional qualification, sought to have a better edge over MBA, however, at the end of the day your credentials together with your transferable skills would get you up the management ladder. These, arguable additional qualifications, are just formalities.
Having said this, I am not underestimating the reputation and prestige of CIMA but I think, and many other people also, would say that having done a MBA would give you a broader knowledge and would not limit you to a particular profession as the latter suggest.

For further clearance, please don’t hesitate to contact.

AHSAN

Although belonging to roughly the same field, there still is no fair ground of comparing CIMA and MBA... Many may argue that MBA in HR would very well be different from CIMA whereas MBA in finance would pose as a good opposition when compared to CIMA...

MBA is a very 'broadly defined' degree, but certainly doesn't have the 'depth of study' that CIMA has... And as mentioned by Mr.Ahsan, 'professional qualifications' as compared to 'degrees' are considered as additional qualifications and mere formalities (although this is to an extent wrong, but this is how things are)...

Therefore, from where I stand, I can't find a good ground to compare CIMA and MBA... However, this is only my perception, others might have totally different views... This is undoubtedly an interesting debate, and I'd like to see the views of other forum members.

Thanks guys for the comment. To make the comparison simpler (Sumaan) I would suggest that we restrict it to an MBA finance. Having siad that I want you to advice a person who has completed his bachelors or ACCA in my case and now wants to decide on an education which would lead to a better and faster career in management assuming all other requirements are met.
Thanks.

Somebody stop me!
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id=quote>quote<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Thanks guys for the comment. To make the comparison simpler (Sumaan) I would suggest that we restrict it to an MBA finance. Having siad that I want you to advice a person who has completed his bachelors or ACCA in my case and now wants to decide on an education which would lead to a better and faster career in management assuming all other requirements are met.
Thanks.

Somebody stop me!
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" size=2 id=quote>

I totally agree with Sumaan that you can't compare 'apples' with 'oranges', but I assumed in my discussion that Shahzeb was talking about MBA-Finance.

Regarding Mr Shahzeb's query about what he should be doing now once he has completed his ACCA, I would only say the following,

My friend its entirely upto you how you want to drive your professional life. No body on his planet can give you a perfect solution, since they won't know what are your capabilities, how you approach problems etc etc. So, I would only say if you could answer the following 3 self-evaluation questions you would get the advice yourself.

1. Who are you?
2. What do you want?
3. Where are you going?

1. By this question I absolutely don't mean what is your personal/social background, but what I am referring here is what are your credentials, what you good at, what you don't as good at etc.

2. Here I am asking your future plans. I can appreciate that you may not know as yet that what exactly you want to do, but you should have atleast a mere idea to what you want to achieve in your life. (This would motivate you to think critically the first question).

3. And in this question, I am asking your personal evaluation. Are you getting the right experience/qualifications that would enable you to achieve you answer to question 2? Are you on the right track etc.

I hope you find my writing solicitous. In either case, you can contact me for further clearance.

AHSAN

Edited by - derivativetrader on Feb 22 2004 122100 AM
hey guyz
i was also perturbed about diz funda but thx to u all.I would like to go for MBA finance than CIMA.
wht abt u shahzeb?

sagZ
Hey Sagar, I am undecided still, but I'll decide when its appropriate. I still have one and a half year to go. But tell me why you chose MBA and where do you plan to do it from.

Somebody stop me!
<font face='Verdana'>
salaaam all,
my pc was out of order, so i could not chk the updates.
i agree with sumaaan n ahsan abt comparing oranges with apples. my reply was really abt cima n mba(finance/account) ..., definetly, mba(hr/mkt/etc) cannot b compared with cima.
mr ahsan, i didnt mind ur remarks abt reputed institutes) ... actually, as far as i know, an institutes can b well reputed in my own country bt not necessarily all arround the world. only my country/govt is supporting it(eg, higher education commision etc).
to get it recognised in ur country, i must talk to the respective authorities in ur country so tht they take necessary steps.
as some one pointed it out in this forum, tht even ACA of pakistan is not recognized outside pakistan!!!! but CAs of australia/eng&wales/NZ etc r welcommed by ICAP by giving them exemptions. but v all know tht CAs r the 1st choice in pakistan.
so, whn i said tht cima is int'lly recognized but mba is not, i meant the same underlying thinking.

</font id='Verdana'>

FARHAN